Need a little help

Holy smokes

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 570
My briskets seem to be drying out. Steps I take.
1. Set smoker to 180
2. Trim brisket
3. Half hr to forty minutes later smoker is up to 180
4. Fat cap down
5. Stick in my thermometer
6. Wait 12-14 hours then it finally hits 162
7. I wrap it
8. wait any other 6-7 hours before it hits 202
9. So late we just cut and eat.
Here is the kicker. The last two briskets have been so dry. The first three were great. It seems like the longer I have the grill the worse it is getting. I’ve only had it since last April.
many ideas or helpful tips? Thanks

I do fat cap up and I fill a drip pan under the brisket with water. It's worked great for me.

1625951898797.jpeg

7. I wrap it
Don't you increase your temp during the wrap??? you should.
And NEVER cut and eat if you have time to rest it in a cooler for an hour or 2 I'll bet you would get your 'juicy' back!!!

I’m gonna try adding wagyu beef tallow during the paper wrap. Re-wrap with more tallow for the resting period. Mad scientist BBQ

Wago Tallow FYI

20210710_195239.jpg

My briskets seem to be drying out. Steps I take.
1. Set smoker to 180
2. Trim brisket
3. Half hr to forty minutes later smoker is up to 180
4. Fat cap down
5. Stick in my thermometer
6. Wait 12-14 hours then it finally hits 162
7. I wrap it
Here is the kicker. The last two briskets have been so dry. The first three were great. It seems like the longer I have the grill the worse it is getting. I’ve only had it since last April.
many ideas or helpful tips? Thanks
It's been said that the rest is as important as the cook. I go to 165, wrap, till 203-205, probe the meat, it should be like butter. Then wrap it in a towel and let it rest for 2-4 hours before eating.

Because of this amount of time, many like the "Weekday Brisket" overnight method, it gives you the time for a perfect brisket.

Hang in there

worthy.gif

I’m gonna try adding wagyu beef tallow during the paper wrap. Re-wrap with more tallow for the resting period. Mad scientist BBQ

I watched this video before smoking my last brisket and it worked perfectly. My prior brisket had been dry also. I did not see the video in time to order the Wagyu tallow, but put the brisket trimmings into a disposable aluminum pan and put that in the smoker. I spread that rendered and smoked tallow on the paper while I wrapped the brisket. I also wrapped the brisket as tight as I could. I let the brisket rest for about 2 or 3 hours in a cooler before I cut it. That was a very good brisket.

I put my brisket on at about 3:00 AM and went back to bed. It was done at about 3:00 PM when I pulled it out of the smoker and put it in the cooler.

InkBird

Latest Discussions

Back