My first Traeger

Cwgrizz

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
I just got a Pro 780. Trying it out for the first time as I sit smelling the aroma from the hickory pellets as the ribs are cooking. I’m sure I will have many questions as I get more involved. That’s why I looked for a Traeger forum.
The immediate question that comes to mind is probably a no brained, but I have to ask. In all of the adds they show racks containing all types of foods being smoked. If this is really happening. Some of the foods would have a recommended temp setting of say 225° and some say 380°. How do you determine the temperature setting?

You always cook to internal temperatures not time. So if your doing chicken vegetables you can probably get away putting everything on the same time. If you're doing a meat that will take a lot longer then of course you would put your vegetables on at a later time. A little trial and error.
I have overcooked a baked potato more than once!!
Just have fun!!

You always cook to internal temperatures not time. So if your doing chicken vegetables you can probably get away putting everything on the same time. If you're doing a meat that will take a lot longer then of course you would put your vegetables on at a later time. A little trial and error.
I have overcooked a baked potato more than once!!
Just have fun!!

Thanks Gary, I figured that was the case as I stated in my original post, it was probably a no brainer. Last night on the inaugural run, I cooked pork ribs, chicken breasts, corn on the cob, baked potatoes, and pork chops. The main settings and times I used were geared around the ribs. Cook time for ribs about 4 hours at 225°. The pork chops, chicken, corn and potatoes were put on the last two hours. The chicken worked fine, the corn was dry, and the potatoes could have used a little bit more time. I have to learn times to cook some stuff low and slow instead of high and fast like I would have normally cooked the stuff other than the ribs.

Back