Is anyone using GrillGrates with their Pro 780 (or Pro 575)? Do they really work?

I've got a Pro 780 and have been eyeing a set of GrillGrates. I know their marketing claims an increase of 100F or more at grate level, which I find incredibly hard to believe. My Pro 780 can hit 500F - will these seriously get to 600F? For GrillGrate owners out there, what's your experience? Has anyone just removed your stock Traeger grates and ONLY used the GrillGrates?
I can get a really good sear on steaks by parking them right at the front or back edge of the diffuser plate. You don't get the grill-line bit - more like a flat-iron sear. The hot air/heat kinda wraps around the sear plate as it rises from underneath it, so you get some really good heat and good sear and crust.

I do a reverse sear - cook them slow up to 110° internal, then move them to the edge and blast them a few minutes both sides up to 130°.

Take care to keep the steaks over the grill plate. If you get stuff going between the plate and the outside wall, clean it out, or i could imagine a grease fire.

Guys, I’ve been reading this thread about the Grillgrates. I have the set that Grillgrates offers for my 575 and it works well. Grill grates does not recommend covering your whole surface as that would cause an airflow issue. I am another one that only has a pellet grill and turning up to 500 does use a good amount of pellets but not to the point I want to buy a second grill, nor do I have room on my patio at this point. Hope that helps!

I’ve got a set (3 piece) for my 780 Pro and I put them right on top original grate, set the temperature around 410 degrees. And they work just as advertised.

That's cool. So even sitting on top of your grates, they hit 510 F when you set your 780 to 410 F? Did you measure that with an IR thermometer?

I have the set that Grillgrates offers for my 575 and it works well. Grill grates does not recommend covering your whole surface as that would cause an airflow issue.

Hmmm, yeah - that's something to think on. I figured airflow would be OK since the GG's have holes in them through the grease channels, but it's certainly a lot more restrictive than leaving the stock factory grates in. I guess GrillGrates (the company) would have tested this in most grills and found that air restriction is an issue with grills like ours that are essentially convection ovens, so maybe I'll avoid getting the 19.5" deep ones after all.

Just bugs the hell out of me having the GG's slide around all over when I go to flip my steaks.

I am a heavy user of Grill Grates. I use them over my factory grates. This allows for the utmost flexibility. Three examples of recent cooks:
1 Extra thick pork chops: Low temp on the factory grill then reverse sear on grill grates
2. Salmon: Just on the factory grill
3. Steaks: Just on the Grill Grates

Having the combination of the two surfaces easily available (I just stack the Grill Grates to the side when using the factory grill) gives my 525 the ability to do anything I want without having to buy a second grill.

Best of luck,

Jacob

I've got a Pro 780 and have been eyeing a set of GrillGrates. I know their marketing claims an increase of 100F or more at grate level, which I find incredibly hard to believe. My Pro 780 can hit 500F - will these seriously get to 600F? For GrillGrate owners out there, what's your experience? Has anyone just removed your stock Traeger grates and ONLY used the GrillGrates?
I'm with funnone, except I have a 575. I bought 4 GG sections that cover my entire grill surface. I put them right on top of factory grates, set 410 and they work great! I do steaks, burgers, chicken, and dogs on them. Outstanding results, and never been disappointed! Always have sweet-looking grill marks.

Hmmm, yeah - that's something to think on. I figured airflow would be OK since the GG's have holes in them through the grease channels, but it's certainly a lot more restrictive than leaving the stock factory grates in. I guess GrillGrates (the company) would have tested this in most grills and found that air restriction is an issue with grills like ours that are essentially convection ovens, so maybe I'll avoid getting the 19.5" deep ones after all.

Just bugs the hell out of me having the GG's slide around all over when I go to flip my steaks.
I received this 'flipper' when I bought my 3 grill grates, works a treat and no moving of the grates.

Attachments

• IMG_1789.JPG
    IMG_1789.JPG
    269.1 KB · Views: 13
Use the flipper when trying to release those Pork butts during low and slow. The fingers help save the butt from tearing. Ok the grill grates work too.

Back