Is anyone using GrillGrates with their Pro 780 (or Pro 575)? Do they really work?

DJDDay

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
I've got a Pro 780 and have been eyeing a set of GrillGrates. I know their marketing claims an increase of 100F or more at grate level, which I find incredibly hard to believe. My Pro 780 can hit 500F - will these seriously get to 600F? For GrillGrate owners out there, what's your experience? Has anyone just removed your stock Traeger grates and ONLY used the GrillGrates?

I am not sure I'm the best person to answer this question but yes, I do have grill grates on my 780 and they work (I just don't use them). You would lay them over the existing Traeger grate and not replace it outright.

The only reason I don't use them is because if I want a sear at high temp I use either my charcoal, gas or blackstone. I really don't see a need to crank the pellet grill up to 500 when I have these other options that are better suited for high heat grilling.

If the Traeger is your only grill and you want a high heat sear then they are great additions to the tool bag.

I am not sure I'm the best person to answer this question but yes, I do have grill grates on my 780 and they work (I just don't use them). You would lay them over the existing Traeger grate and not replace it outright.

The only reason I don't use them is because if I want a sear at high temp I use either my charcoal, gas or blackstone. I really don't see a need to crank the pellet grill up to 500 when I have these other options that are better suited for high heat grilling.

If the Traeger is your only grill and you want a high heat sear then they are great additions to the tool bag.

Thanks. My Pro 780 is my only grill so I’m looking for a better sear option on that. I was considering buying 6-7 of the 19.5” deep grates so I could just replace my entire stock Traeger grates with them when doing steaks and burgers. I figured it will get them closer to the heat source. Looks like I may be pioneering a first.

Pro 575... these are out of my weber genesis and fit perfect
Screenshot_20220421-220757_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20220421-220740_Instagram.jpg

They work awesome, but to use them in a pellet grill, you need to be meticulous in cleaning the grill of any accumulation of grease otherwise it will catch fire while trying to get 500 degrees.

Getting a small gasser for a sear station can pay for itself in pellet savings for doing a reverse sear. You save pellets by not trying to get to 500 and you save them by only doing a smoke bath at 200.

They work awesome, but to use them in a pellet grill, you need to be meticulous in cleaning the grill of any accumulation of grease otherwise it will catch fire while trying to get 500 degrees.

Getting a small gasser for a sear station can pay for itself in pellet savings for doing a reverse sear. You save pellets by not trying to get to 500 and you save them by only doing a smoke bath at 200.

The logic of saving pellets by buying another grill is counterintuitive to me. I have no issue spending (literally) a few dollars a cook in pellets to hit 500F briefly to sear or grill burgers - it’s why I bought a Traeger to begin with (knowing it officially could hit 500F). I’m not saying that’s not a great option for those who like owning multiple grills for specialized purposes, but it’s not my goal. I have limited space on my patio and love the idea of 1 grill.

Thanks though!

Not worried about grease fires in so much as whether or not I can just use the GrillGrates in place of my stock ceramic steel coated. I understand why people may buy the smaller ones and place them over theirs, but I’m considering buying the 19.5” deep ones and filling the entire Traeger cook surface with them.

The logic of saving pellets by buying another grill is counterintuitive to me. I have no issue spending (literally) a few dollars a cook in pellets to hit 500F briefly to sear or grill burgers - it’s why I bought a Traeger to begin with (knowing it officially could hit 500F). I’m not saying that’s not a great option for those who like owning multiple grills for specialized purposes, but it’s not my goal. I have limited space on my patio and love the idea of 1 grill.

Thanks though!

Not worried about grease fires in so much as whether or not I can just use the GrillGrates in place of my stock ceramic steel coated. I understand why people may buy the smaller ones and place them over theirs, but I’m considering buying the 19.5” deep ones and filling the entire Traeger cook surface with them.
I brought both the Grill grates along with Grillgrate Griddles to have the option of either. I haven't utilize them as much as I want to but it's a great addition. The Grill grates are definitely a great addition.

I brought both the Grill grates along with Grillgrate Griddles to have the option of either. I haven't utilize them as much as I want to but it's a great addition. The Grill grates are definitely a great addition.

Do you use them over your factory ceramic coated grates? Still wondering if anyone just removes their factory grates altogether. Really seems strange to put them on top.

There is a youtube vid I saw once, the guy took his drip pan cover OFF, put the grate back and GrillGrates on top.
Heat rose more directly on the GrillGrates and he seared his steak just fine.

There is a youtube vid I saw once, the guy took his drip pan cover OFF, put the grate back and GrillGrates on top.
Heat rose more directly on the GrillGrates and he seared his steak just fine.

Think I saw that one. Yeah, definitely an option - I’d just be concerned about grease gunking up my fire pot, or worse - causing a grease fire. Oh wait - he left the heat shield on the fire pot? Will have to look that one up. Thanks

I think I understand why people place them over their factory ceramic grates though - most people by the cheaper undersized ones that are too thin to reach both sides of the barrel rim. I’m looking at buying the 19.5” deep sets that fit properly.

Do you use them over your factory ceramic coated grates? Still wondering if anyone just removes their factory grates altogether. Really seems strange to put them on top.
Yes. I put them over the coated grates. I believe that is the directions. To my understanding, they do not replace the coated ones.

Yes. I put them over the coated grates. I believe that is the directions. To my understanding, they do not replace the coated ones.

Right, I understand that's what GrillGrates recommends, but the ones they are selling for the 575 and 780 are grossly undersized for the grate surface area (not deep enough to reach the sides), leaving large gaps on each side in the front and back (I see almost all users sliding their GG all over their factory grates, which seems irritating). Hence my consideration to buy actual 19.5" deep ones so they can just replace the factory grates.

Seems GrillGrates proper is just selling them as an "accessory" to go over your grates, when it seems they could just replace them entirely if you bought the correct size. Not sure why GG isn't even really making that an option unless you go down the rabbit hole like I am! Lol :ROFLMAO:

I've got a Pro 780 and have been eyeing a set of GrillGrates. I know their marketing claims an increase of 100F or more at grate level, which I find incredibly hard to believe. My Pro 780 can hit 500F - will these seriously get to 600F? For GrillGrate owners out there, what's your experience? Has anyone just removed your stock Traeger grates and ONLY used the GrillGrates?
Hi. I have the same grill and have used grill grates. They work ok. I find they work best if you remove the drip pan and the shield over the firebox. These grill are amazing for low and slow and a little above that but for searing they really lack the proper heat.

I’ve got a set (3 piece) for my 780 Pro and I put them right on top original grate, set the temperature around 410 degrees. And they work just as advertised. No regrets!👍🏻

Attachments

• E676C1D2-44E1-4C55-9299-AC00C6397E69.jpeg
    E676C1D2-44E1-4C55-9299-AC00C6397E69.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 60

Latest Discussions

Back