Ironwood Cooks & Findings

CampWhatnot

Reaction score
Grill
Traeger Ironwood 650
Assembled and seasoned the ironwood on Sat. The LCD display has black blotches and it is difficult to read. The qr code for wifi set up didn't work on my iPad or Android phone so I had to enter it manually and it connected. For some reason when it looks for wifi it always tried to connect to my 5g band even though the Traeger only supports 2.4g. Cooked up some chicken and all was good. On Sunday I smoked pork tenderloin and downloaded a cook from the Traeger app. It was set to smoke at 225. Feedback from the RTD was 185 to 200 and was jumping around. Had to crank it up to 275 and the feedback seemed good. I also found the app to be a bit buggy, meaning the setpoint for the meat probe would mysteriously disappeared and I would have to enter it manually. It would then disappear again and so on. I will be calling Traeger this morning to discuss. The controller will have to be replaced and possibly the RTD. I have tried to post pics but for some reason they fail when I try to upload. Cheers.

I'm having the same problems with my Ironwood 650, which I bought on Saturday, April 6 and seasoned yesterday, April 7. The QR code isn't working on my Android (Samsung Galaxy S9) phone. For some reason, when I get to the "Home Wifi" screen on the Traeger app the first sentence on that screen "Your grill will be connected to" doesn't populate my home's wifi network. Therefore, the sentence reads "Your grill will be connected to." I've tried both the QR code and entering the information manually and neither method works. Additionally, I tried smoking some beef yesterday at 225 and the temperature never got past 205 (ambient air temperature was 65-70 degrees). When I cranked up the heat to 235 or 250, the grill warmed up and either exceeded those temperatures or stayed fairly consistent. Looks like I'll have to call Traeger to discuss both issues, which is disappointing based on the price of the grill and based on the fact that the main reason I upgraded was to achieve and maintain consistent cooking temperatures. I was expecting this product to work correctly right out of the box.

I hear ya. I spoke to the Traeger Canada rep this morning and he asked me to send an email with all issues and pics which I have done. He said they will get back to me later on today. He said the controller needs to be replaced as it must have been smacked around causing the LCD screen to be blotchy and likely the other issues as well. I agree my controller needs to be replaced but possible the RTD as well. He said he has been using the ironwood since fall and it's be ok. The app also needs some updating as well but that is another issue lol. It holds 350 within 8 degrees Fahrenheit either way. The issue is the lower temps so far. Tonight will be cook #3 at 500f so I will see how that holds. During the seasoning it was ok but then again 350 to 500f.

I'll be interested to hear how you fare tonight. I'm going to try 225 again this evening and see how that goes.

Traeger just contacted me. They are going to ship out a new controller to me this week. I will update once I have it installed and try it out.

I hear ya. I spoke to the Traeger Canada rep this morning and he asked me to send an email with all issues and pics which I have done. He said they will get back to me later on today. He said the controller needs to be replaced as it must have been smacked around causing the LCD screen to be blotchy and likely the other issues as well. I agree my controller needs to be replaced but possible the RTD as well. He said he has been using the ironwood since fall and it's be ok. The app also needs some updating as well but that is another issue lol. It holds 350 within 8 degrees Fahrenheit either way. The issue is the lower temps so far. Tonight will be cook #3 at 500f so I will see how that holds. During the seasoning it was ok but then again 350 to 500f.
Try testing the temp inside the grill to see if its really 500 degrees inside. I just bought a Pro 575 and when I run it at 450, its actually running at 350, but the grill thinks its running at 450. i heard some ironwoods are having the same issue.

Yup I will be putting my probes from 2 different thermometers in to see what it all boils down to.

Setpoint at 500f while using 2 of my digital thermometers after probes were checked to verify. One was 558 and the other was 560. Traeger indicated 493. Traeger hit the 500f but my thermometers go out of range to HHH at 570. Seem like the Traeger reads low by about 50 to 60f. Same result at 350 and 275 about the same amount of difference. Keep in mind it was basically empty as I was grilling burgers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190408-182849_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190408-182849_Gallery.jpg
    687.2 KB · Views: 25
Setpoint at 500f while using 2 of my digital thermometers after probes were checked to verify. One was 558 and the other was 560. Traeger indicated 493. Traeger hit the 500f but my thermometers go out of range to HHH at 570. Seem like the Traeger reads low by about 50 to 60f. Same result at 350 and 275 about the same amount of difference. Keep in mind it was basically empty as I was grilling burgers.
So you internal temp is higher, lol mine its lower. I like that high temps when blasting it at 500 degrees. Call them they can send you a new RTD.

Wow, that is unreal. I set my grill for 225f yesterday at 4:30pm cst. By 4:45pm, the Traeger display registered the temperature at 205f. The temperature never went higher than 205f. At 4:55pm I raised the temperature to 230f and within 5 minutes the Traeger display was showing 265f! The ambient air temperature was 80 degrees, the grill was in the shade and there was very little wind. I haven't had time to call Traeger yet, but am hoping to this afternoon. However, I'm leaning towards just returning the grill. For the price, this grill should work as advertised right out of the box.

Wow, that is unreal. I set my grill for 225f yesterday at 4:30pm cst. By 4:45pm, the Traeger display registered the temperature at 205f. The temperature never went higher than 205f. At 4:55pm I raised the temperature to 230f and within 5 minutes the Traeger display was showing 265f! The ambient air temperature was 80 degrees, the grill was in the shade and there was very little wind. I haven't had time to call Traeger yet, but am hoping to this afternoon. However, I'm leaning towards just returning the grill. For the price, this grill should work as advertised right out of the box.

If you are connected to the wifi, Traeger can see all that temps problems. When you call them ask for a supervisor, the Reps cant do crap, plus they dont know much, at least the ones I had spoken with. I have been working with a Supervisor named Karla and she has been really helpful and she has called me back as promised. If you want ask for her and she will do her best to help you out. Normally I call and I ask for her, the agent I talk to will send her a message and she will call back. Im waiting for a new RTD, and in the FB group I heard that a new Firmware update was released.

Did you vacum the grill before cooking??

So you internal temp is higher, lol mine its lower. I like that high temps when blasting it at 500 degrees. Call them they can send you a new RTD.
I did and they are sending out a new controller and RTD.

I have the same issue at 225f. I also have screen issues on the LCD screen. They are sending out new parts to rectify. Remember this is a new controller and new programming as well. I'm guessing an updated firmware will come down the pipe at some point. Also it's a pellet grill so there will always be swings in temp from the setpoint. If it keeps it with in +/- 10f I b more than happy.

If you are connected to the wifi, Traeger can see all that temps problems. When you call them ask for a supervisor, the Reps cant do crap, plus they dont know much, at least the ones I had spoken with. I have been working with a Supervisor named Karla and she has been really helpful and she has called me back as promised. If you want ask for her and she will do her best to help you out. Normally I call and I ask for her, the agent I talk to will send her a message and she will call back. Im waiting for a new RTD, and in the FB group I heard that a new Firmware update was released.
Which FB group? I belong to a couple of Traeger FB groups but I haven't seen much input to the ironwood issues.

Latest Discussions

Back