How to tell flavor of the pellets

Storminn58

Reaction score
Grill
TFB29LZB
Someone gave me a pellet smoker and a container of pellets. Is it possible to tell by looking at the pellets what type they are?

Timmy

BBQ FEAST MASTER
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780, Bronson 20 , Char grill gasser, Char griller modified offset, Blackstone 3 burner griddle
Highly doubtfull you'll be able to identify. Id just use them, as long as they aren't damp or really really crumbly.

RoadRunner18

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300; Pitts and Spitts Maverick 2000
I would go out and purchase new pellets. There is no telling how much moisture the pellets you received with the smoker have been exposed to and could cause problems such as an auger jam or maintaining target temperature.

RZaragoza

Reaction score
Grill
(6) Pro Series 34 (Gen.1), Traeger Mesa 22, Traeger model TFB57QLF (I don't know the series name)
Highly doubtfull you'll be able to identify. Id just use them, as long as they aren't damp or really really crumbly.
Yup. Also the pellets should be shiny and have an audible "snap" when breaking them in half.

Slimpicker

Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575 Bronze► OKJoe's Longhorn Combo► WeberQ Gasser ►Weber kettle► UDS ► Inkbird Sous Vide
Taste one... if it's Hickory, you'll spit it out, if it's Mesquite, you'll try another one, if they're Cherry, there will be a 'pit', and if they're Apple, you'll feel the urge to bake a pie in your smoker!!

Latest Discussions