HELP!!! Tri tip loin recipes

Pshap

Reaction score
My wife bought Tri-tip loin strips instead of the usual tri-tip roast. What’s the difference other than being in strips rather than being a roast? Whats the difference in cooking time? Where can I find recipes for tri-tip loin strips (3”x 8” sections). Treager does not show any recipes for tri-tip loin online.
5436967C-C40E-4588-A2B9-D8AB7C617790.jpeg

The tri-tip cut is from 3 different muscle sections of the cow (where they all connect). What you have looks more like a tip roast, which is a toughr cut of meat.

My wife bought Tri-tip loin strips instead of the usual tri-tip roast. What’s the difference other than being in strips rather than being a roast? Whats the difference in cooking time? Where can I find recipes for tri-tip loin strips (3”x 8” sections). Treager does not show any recipes for tri-tip loin online. View attachment 1251
We get our tri tip strips from Costco and they are a good summer treat. Try smoking them for 30 minutes, then remove from grill an increase the temperature to 450. Once 450 is reached cook them for 15-20 minutes. As for seasoning we have used salt and pepper only since this seems to be a great compliment to the smoke flavor. I am going to try Traeger’s Blackened Saskatchewan seasoning next time. Hope this is helpful.

We get our tri tip strips from Costco and they are a good summer treat. Try smoking them for 30 minutes, then remove from grill an increase the temperature to 450. Once 450 is reached cook them for 15-20 minutes. As for seasoning we have used salt and pepper only since this seems to be a great compliment to the smoke flavor. I am going to try Traeger’s Blackened Saskatchewan seasoning next time. Hope this is helpful.

I'm about to grill some of these. I was disappointed Costco didn't have any Prime tri-tip roasts--only choice. They did have prime tri-tip strips. If I'd known how much these varied in size and shape I probably wouldn't have bought them.

Here goes nothing.

I'm about to grill some of these. I was disappointed Costco didn't have any Prime tri-tip roasts--only choice. They did have prime tri-tip strips. If I'd known how much these varied in size and shape I probably wouldn't have bought them.

Here goes nothing.
We use only salt and pepper on the tri tip roast also. However we cook it at 225 degrees for hour or more depending on the size of the roast. We like ours cooked to medium. Let us know yours turned out.

I would rub them with olive oil and dust them with McCormick's Montreal Steak seasoning.

I'd then smoke them at 210 degrees for about 30 minutes till they reach 120 internal. Pull them from the Traeger then and crank the temp to high. After it reaches temp, then put them back on turning every 3 minutes till they get to within 5 degrees of your desired temp.

Pull them at 130 for Medium Rare
Pull them at 140 for Medium
Pull them at. Never mind for the rest of the higher temps. :)

By the time you get them inside, on a plate and sit down to eat, they will be perfect.

Back