Grills grates - Traeger vs gas grill

I agree. But all this talk is making me want to give them another shot.
I’m a fan. They are as advertised as far as I’m concerned. They concentrate the heat to the grids and help with searing, browning and crisping food. By far the Ranger is my favorite application.

How about pancakes?

If you want to grill pancakes, get a cast iron griddle that is flat on one side and ridged on the other. The flat side is great for pancakes and French toast and the ridged side will work for burgers, steaks, etc. However, I do not do that. I have a set of the Grill Grates and a carbon steel pan. I leave the grates near the edges of the grill to act as a heat sink, even when I am not grilling on them. The carbon steel pan (or a cast iron skillet) is great for vegetables and other things that do not work well on grates. It I would work for pancakes as well, but I have an electric griddle for them. The carbon steel pan is good for searing if you plan to baste in butter, but you will not get the same grill marks you get with a grate.

If you want to grill pancakes, get a cast iron griddle that is flat on one side and ridged on the other.
Thanks. Are the GrillGrates grates flat on one side and ridged on the other?

Yes. While one side is flat, it does have large holes for air and heat circulation. The flat side is good for things like fish, but would not be suitable for pancakes or eggs that would run through the holes.

Yes. While one side is flat, it does have large holes for air and heat circulation. The flat side is good for things like fish, but would not be suitable for pancakes or eggs that would run through the holes.
They do make a solid form of grill grates for stuff that might fall through the holes. Never used them, but they exist.

The flat side is good for things like fish, but would not be suitable for pancakes or eggs that would run through the holes.
Thanks - that was what I was afraid of.

There are a number of companies who sell cast iron griddles that are solid and flat on one side and ridged on the other. That is what I would use if I wanted to make pancakes or eggs on the grill. I was not aware that GrillGrates made grates without the holes. If your grates cover the entire surface of the grill, you need the holes. If you are only covering a portion of the surface, a solid one would be fine.

How often do they need cleaned and how do you clean them?

Any advantage to using the GrillGrates for something low and slow like pork shoulder? Do they help provide more of a smoke flavor? If so, would you place the meat on the flat or ribbed side?

Any advantage to using the GrillGrates for something low and slow like pork shoulder? Do they help provide more of a smoke flavor? If so, would you place the meat on the flat or ribbed side?

If you are looking for smoke flavor, you would want to maximum the exposure of the protein to the smoke, both in surface area and in time. Thus, GrillGrates would be detrimental to that process.

The GrillGrates can be helpful in cooking hot and fast, such as searing steak, pork chops or chicken. For large cuts of meat like pork butts, briskets, chuck roasts, etc. skip the GrillGrates.

If you are looking for smoke flavor, you would want to maximum the exposure of the protein to the smoke, both in surface area and in time. Thus, GrillGrates would be detrimental to that process.

The GrillGrates can be helpful in cooking hot and fast, such as searing steak, pork chops or chicken. For large cuts of meat like pork butts, briskets, chuck roasts, etc. skip the GrillGrates.
That makes sense, thank you. Used the GrillGrates last night for burgers, seemed to work well.

That makes sense, thank you. Used the GrillGrates last night for burgers, seemed to work well.

Definitely!. Burgers are ground steak so cooking hot and fast works. You want some sear and grill marks.

Back