Grills grates - Traeger vs gas grill

tcraig

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
I’ve got a Weber genesis gas grill in addition to my Traeger ironwood 650. Considering getting the grill grates but not sure which grill to get them for first. Anybody have any thoughts?

I haven't used my gasser in in almost a year. The Grill Grates on the Traeger work fine, even at low temps for me. When I really want to get a hot-and-sear finish, I throw the protein-of-the-day in my cast iron skillet and done.

The Sear Station for the Ironwood should also fit on your Weber. I pretty much use them on my gasser exclusively and don't do anymore high temp stuff on the Traeger.

I’ve got a Weber genesis gas grill in addition to my Traeger ironwood 650. Considering getting the grill grates but not sure which grill to get them for first. Anybody have any thoughts?
What are you planning to cook that might benefit from grill grates?

What model genesis gasser do you have?

I have three grill Grates and when I do a reverse sear on the Traeger I set up the gasser for the final sear. The temp I look for is around 400 and I have no problem reaching that, I had to burn a lot of pellets to get the temp up on the Traeger.

Don't forget you can flip the grill grates and you have a griddle, which is great for smash burgers or searing bacon wrapped scallops.

My weber gasser grates in my pro 575 trying them tomorrow in there
20220108_134020.jpg

Pitboss pellet grills are great, but there are definitely some downsides. I would recommend gas if you plan to use it only a couple of times a month, since it's easy to use and requires little maintenance.
Check this site https://thebarbec.com/ for more suggestions. Whenever I make burgers on my pitboss, I finish them on my Weber Genesis. On a hot gas grill, sear for 45-50 minutes at 200 degrees. best burger ever…

Last edited:
I am a huge fan of Grill Grates on my Traeger. When I want to do a low temp cook I just stack the Grill Grates on the side and use the Traeger grill. For things like hamburgers and chicken thighs, I go straight to the Grill Grates. For steaks I do a reverse sear starting on the Traeger grill and then heating the Grill Grates to 450 for an EXCELLENT sear. I don't feel any need to use my Webber anymore. Give them a try, they really increase the range of items you can cook on your Traeger.

I am a huge fan of Grill Grates on my Traeger. When I want to do a low temp cook I just stack the Grill Grates on the side and use the Traeger grill. For things like hamburgers and chicken thighs, I go straight to the Grill Grates. For steaks I do a reverse sear starting on the Traeger grill and then heating the Grill Grates to 450 for an EXCELLENT sear. I don't feel any need to use my Webber anymore. Give them a try, they really increase the range of items you can cook on your Traeger.
Totally agree. Not all of us can afford a gas grill and a wood pellet grill so Grill Grates have been transformative!

I think I'm the only person on here that returned my GrillGrates :devilish:

Latest Discussions

Back