Grill temp sensor "cap" fell off?

Rodney007

Reaction score
Grill
PRO 780
as above, PRO 780 has a temp probe inside to the right of cooking chamber.

I must have bumped it when cleaning the grill. Now there is a wire or wick sticking out where the pointed cap was.

Is it still ok to use?

dunawayfamily

Reaction score
Grill
PRO 780
Yes, but there is a rather high probability that the RTD/Thermocouple is going to not provide accurate temperature readings within the barrel ... if you have a way to monitor ambient temp while cooking with an external set of probes, you will want to verify ... YMMV ...

OP
OP
R

Rodney007

Reaction score
Grill
PRO 780
Yes, but there is a rather high probability that the RTD/Thermocouple is going to not provide accurate temperature readings within the barrel ... if you have a way to monitor ambient temp while cooking with an external set of probes, you will want to verify ... YMMV ...

Thanks, I just tested it. I used a weber igrill 2 ambient probe in the very centre of the grill and was reading about 10f off the Traeger display.

Given the variables in chamber temps I would say thats pretty good?

I must say, its in a slightly vulnerable position given when you lift the grill grate up it can very easily knock it. I searched everywhere for it today in the chamber with no luck ?

dunawayfamily

Reaction score
Grill
PRO 780
Thanks, I just tested it. I used a weber igrill 2 ambient probe in the very centre of the grill and was reading about 10f off the Traeger display.

Given the variables in chamber temps I would say thats pretty good?

I must say, its in a slightly vulnerable position given when you lift the grill grate up it can very easily knock it. I searched everywhere for it today in the chamber with no luck ?

Agreed - 10 degrees differential is nothing to be worried about for now ... over time, the RTD/Thermocouple may degrade "faster" than normal with the end cap knocked off, so ongoing monitoring is a good idea ...

Placement of that probe is definitely not optimal ... we replaced the large grate that came with the PRO 780 with 3 of the 10" Cast Iron Grates, so that makes cleaning a bit easier as I can remove them from left to right to avoid hitting that probe ...

BAC386 | 10" Cast Iron Grate | https://www.traegergrills.com/accessories/cast-iron-grill-grate