Gen 1 Timberline vs Ironwood

lake_house_griller

Reaction score
Gen 1 Timberline or Ironwood? Looking to upgrade. Is the Ironwood a much superior grill w/ out the D2 technology. Both grills are the same price.

primeone

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
I think you would be better off getting the new Ironwood. From my research the controller is quite a bit better and I've had real good luck with it. Also some people have mentioned it's better to have the grease bucket on the outside and the ability to add a larger front shelf on the ironwood is another benefit. What size Timberline / Ironwood are you considering?

OP
OP
L

lake_house_griller

Reaction score
Not sure on size yet
If I went Timberline I would consider 850 almost as much grilling space as the Ironwood 885

mickeykool

Reaction score
Grill
Gen II Timberline 1300 / Texas 34
I think you would be better off getting the new Ironwood. From my research the controller is quite a bit better and I've had real good luck with it. Also some people have mentioned it's better to have the grease bucket on the outside and the ability to add a larger front shelf on the ironwood is another benefit. What size Timberline / Ironwood are you considering?
I'm actually thinking of getting the new timberline as i currently have the original 34". Based on what you said regarding the grease bucket on the outside. Curious why is this? i assume the grease tray is too small? Currently on my end the i probably empty my bucket every 6mo? (rough guessing)

OP
OP
L

lake_house_griller

Reaction score
I'm actually thinking of getting the new timberline as i currently have the original 34". Based on what you said regarding the grease bucket on the outside. Curious why is this? i assume the grease tray is too small? Currently on my end the i probably empty my bucket every 6mo? (rough guessing)

OP
OP
L

lake_house_griller

Reaction score
I can purchase the Gen 1 Timberline 850 for $1275 and the 1300 for $1499

Is the savings worth choosing the Gen 1 over Ironwood or Gen 2 Timberline?

mickeykool

Reaction score
Grill

Honestly my opinion is no unless $$$ is the issue. I'd gladly take the D2 system over the "analog" one any day.

primeone

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
I'm not sure if it was a cleaning issue or the tray was just to small. That's just one of the comments I remember reading.

primeone

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650

I think the benefits of the new controller make it worth the extra money. I wouldn't go for the older models.

TraegerPat

Reaction score
Grill
Junior Elite
Hi all,

I’m looking at significantly upgrading my Traeger and had been set on the Ironwood 650. I see now though that I can get the Gen 1 Timberline 850 for about the same price? I understand the newer technology piece but the build quality of the Timberline v the Ironwood seems superior. Is that necessary? Maybe it’s overkill on the Timberline? All the specs and everything make the ironwood a good choice. Just wondering.

mickeykool

Reaction score
Grill
Hi all,

I’m looking at significantly upgrading my Traeger and had been set on the Ironwood 650. I see now though that I can get the Gen 1 Timberline 850 for about the same price? I understand the newer technology piece but the build quality of the Timberline v the Ironwood seems superior. Is that necessary? Maybe it’s overkill on the Timberline? All the specs and everything make the ironwood a good choice. Just wondering.
Get the Ironwood over the Gen 1 850. I have a gen 2 1300 and have no issues, and use it almost every other day.

Latest Discussions