First Post

JimR

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
I’m new to this forum and this is my first post. I have been smoking for about 4 years. My first smoker was a Traeger Lit’l Gem. I loved it and explored various recipes over the years. Some new models became available and the peaked my interest. I finally bought a Timberline 850. I gave my old Traeger to a waiter that I learned was into smoking. He is ecstatic and continuing to enjoy my old smoker.

My new Traeger turned out to be somewhat of a disappointment. It just wouldn’t work. After several attempt to “fix” it, a Company rep, here in Florida, contacted me and stated that Traeger would make good on my unit and replace it. He came to my house and assembled it and ran the “break-in “ phase.

My first venture was a spatchcock Chicken. It was great. I have always wanted to try slow smoked burgers, but was skeptical. I have a monthly poker group that would work for a 2 hour un-attended meal.

Tonight, I did a practice run on the low and slow burgers. I read that the preferred temp was 180. I differed and went with 190. The burgers were 9 ounces and coated with Worcestershire sauce and sprinkled with a “ Black Dust Cowboy Coffee Rub” from Savory Spices.

After 2 hours they were at 125. I upped the temp to 350, sprinkled some crumbled Blue Cheese onto them and placed the buttered buns on the top rack. When the instant temp reached 130, I pulled them.

After resting, they reached 145 and resulted in a wonderful pink, medium rare finish. Topped with some fresh Arugula and mayo, they were perfect! The texture was moist and flavorful. they had a nice bark with a savory taste.

My poker group will love them and I will be able to concentrate on taking their money rather than cooking.

Welcome to the forum! Glad Traeger was able to get you going. We might need to see some pics of those burgers next time you cook 'em! I still haven't done burgers yet, but it's on my list.

Welcome Jim! Looking forward to more mouth watering stories. ?

My poker group will love them and I will be able to concentrate on taking their money rather than cooking.

You are a sly dog; I like your way of thinking and your burger recipe! Here's to success with your replacement Timberline.

Welcome aboard!

Back