Failing my family

G

Guest4474

Just got a Pro 575 for Christmas and to date I've done an inside round roast, rib eye steaks, and flat iron steaks. My wife is about ready to leave me unless I take it back, my daughter is saying that she doesn't like the taste.

Before this I was using a Weber Q and doing "alright" ... but I'm trying to do my research and look up cooking techniques for what I'm planning to do but after last night it's really becoming frustrating, dinner was an hour late and still under-cooked by my wife's opinion.

Flat iron steaks @ 210F for 45 minutes, rest for 5 minutes, crank the grill up to 450F then back on for 4 minutes a side to reverse sear. Checked the IT with a handheld probe and it came back as 140F. Sliced the meat and it look rare, still juicy with a bit of blood it seemed.

Suggestions? Do I just add 100F to every recipe I try?

Personally I would cook low and slow 180F until an internal temp of 130F Then pull the meat, crank the grill to 450-500 and reverse sear them for 2 min per side.

It shouldn't look rare if the IT is 140. What type of handheld are you using?

Personally I would cook low and slow 180F until an internal temp of 130F Then pull the meat, crank the grill to 450-500 and reverse sear them for 2 min per side.
When I do reverse sear I pull at 120...then iron skillet it 2 minutes a side and that gets it to 130-135. Perfect medium rare.

DUDE! There is a learning curve with things that are new! You havent even had it a month yet! Surf the site for insight, and ask questions here.
You need to check the grill temp of your grill to, to see if it matches what the set temp is on the Traeger. Mine did not match, the Traeger was 20 to 30f lower. Thus it took longer to cook.

Just got a Pro 575 for Christmas and to date I've done an inside round roast, rib eye steaks, and flat iron steaks. My wife is about ready to leave me unless I take it back, my daughter is saying that she doesn't like the taste.
Also received a Pro 575 for Christmas....oddly enough, given to me by my wife, who is not a fan of smoked meats. (Note: I was not aware of this pre-marriage. I'm not saying it'd have been a deal-breaker, buuuuuuuuuut......)

Addressing the taste issue, I wonder if your daughter is adverse to the pellets you're using. That was the case with some in my family, and using apple for most cooks seemed to improve things. Just an idea.

I can't give any advice but I will say I feel your pain! I was gifted a Pro 780 for Christmas and I've while I've made some really good meals, I have also made a few, "honey, would you like me to go to Taco Bell for you tonight" meals! Last night I tried some beer can chicken and it was "ok" but after a few bites the wife said, "don't be offended...BUT...!" (skin was a little rubbery and the texture was a little different than what she's used to getting from the grocery store roast whole chicken)

I keep reminding her (and myself) that every time I try something new it's the FIRST time and I am learning from the experience. I've had a Weber for 20+ years and I find the "cooking skills" don't necessarily transfer over to cooking with pellets.

Oh yeah, do look at the Thermapen MK4. It's a great little piece of equipment. They are always running some type of sale.

Your temps are the key and if they are not accurate then you are in a bit of trouble. With my 575 I use the Fireboard2 probe set which not only gives me an accurate internal temp it also gives me the pit temp. I have found my pit temp to show 20F difference between what the Traeger reads and the F/board. This was around the 200 - 250F mark as I crank up the temp to over 300 they seem to come together . And my fav comment... clean the traeger probe after each cook with a damp cloth.

I do not use the temps on my Pro 575, I have a fireboard and adjust settings based on that. Some things are winners on a smoker and some not so much but as said above, it's a learning curve and takes time. I've had a lot of undercooked, overcooked and just right but the prime rib I cooked was the best I ever had.

Thanks everyone, it's been an interesting challenge, I guess being the geek that I am made me by default trust the temps that the screen was telling me ... I don't have the Thermapen but a cheaper handheld probe, sounds like it would be worthwhile to upgrade ... had already drooled over the FireBoard but it's a bit of a paradox in that my wife wouldn't like me spending more money on tools to make the new tool I have work correctly ...

You've given me more heart to keep pushing through ...

had already drooled over the FireBoard but it's a bit of a paradox in that my wife wouldn't like me spending more money on tools to make the new tool I have work correctly ...

I just flat out told my wife if you want Gourmet meals then I need Gourmet tools!!!! The Traeger is the VEHICLE, the FireBoard is a great set of snow tires that saves your LIFE!!!!!!!

And you haven't even STARTED investing in good RUBS yet!!! Good Word man, the RUB is 50% of the great taste your daughter is not getting.

DUDE! There is a learning curve with things that are new! You havent even had it a month yet! Surf the site for insight, and ask questions here.
You need to check the grill temp of your grill to, to see if it matches what the set temp is on the Traeger. Mine did not match, the Traeger was 20 to 30f lower. Thus it took longer to cook.

smiley-signs011.gif

Funny thing...I have my money and she has hers. Most of what comes in my door she doesn't even know about.
I'm not quite there with "Traeger stuff" yet but that is how I am with my home beer making gear. If my wife had any idea how much money I've spent over the years she'd throw me out!! :D

Latest Discussions

Back