Failed to download certificate files

Wow, the technical incompetence at Traeger regarding this whole WiFire/app is breathtaking. Been in the IT business my whole life, and I can't say I've ever experienced such IT incompetence and unprofessionalism in a large corporation like this. At the bottom of this, good news, I managed to fix the inability to connect due to the loop of : "Network already exists in the system settings. Please forget it from your settings and try again."

But first, here are all the Traeger WiFire nightmares I've noticed so far:
1. Support section of Traeger website just gives "403 Forbidden" errors and won't show pages when using Google Chrome browser
2. Custom Cook Cycle only shows Celsius even though grill is set to Fahrenheit. Support can't seem to help.
3. App is non-intuitive, initially shows advertising pages for recipes and makes it extremely difficult to find the actual WiFire stuff
4. Had to change the display settings on my phone font to even be able to see the "I Agree" button during setup.. just wouldn't show at all!
5. Stuck in the loop of "network already exists" with no way to delete, and no way around it, regardless of number of times app deleted and reinstalled.

There is lots more stuff that is buggy and doesn't work right, but I'll stop there for now. Anyway, I fixed my issue by doing what another person did a couple pages ago, I got another Android device, installed the app on it, from there I was finally able to connect the grill to my WiFi without getting the stupid "already exists" error. Now the app works on both the old and the new Android devices.

Point is, try another IOS or Android device and see if you can get it to work that way. Good luck all, hope it works for you.

I got the very same reply too. I just tried, and I actually had luck. It reverted my grill to v01.01.06 and I was able to get the grill to remain connected to my WiFi network. I'm still unable to add the grill in my app, but I believe that is because the grill is on old version. So I shut off and turned back on and left in standby to let it upgrade. I'll report back after the grill updates. I'll probably have to forget the network in the grill first, though, and then run through setup again.
Thank you!

I got the very same reply too. I just tried, and I actually had luck. It reverted my grill to v01.01.06 and I was able to get the grill to remain connected to my WiFi network. I'm still unable to add the grill in my app, but I believe that is because the grill is on old version. So I shut off and turned back on and left in standby to let it upgrade. I'll report back after the grill updates. I'll probably have to forget the network in the grill first, though, and then run through setup again.
Exact same thing is happening to me. However, when I couldn’t add it in the app again, I tried the process over again a few times. Twice I’ve gotten to the point where the app tells me it’s downloading files, slowing reaches 100%, then the controller goes off. When I turn it back on, I’m back where I started. It says version 02.0.0 and when I try to add the grill back in the app, I get the error downloading certificate files. So I did it again and am just going to let it sit connected to WiFi with v01.01.06 and see what happens.

I received the below response from Traeger today with some factory reset steps to try. I won't have time to try this until tonight or tomorrow. If someone getting the certificate error has time to try this and report back that would be great.
-------------------------------
Hi Joe. We apologize for the wait over the weekend and we thank you for sending over the video This was helpful. Our IT director has informed us that you need a Factory reset as the controller is storing bad data and this is why it is having an error with the files downloading.

1. Factory reset (on grill go to menu -> settings -> about the grill, then hold ignite button until Traeger logo appears)
2. Then check and make sure it is not still attached to your WiFI and if so, forget WiFi (which will be under settings -> WiFi information)
3. Power grill off and on
4. Delete grill in the App
5. Go through pair grill.

The grill should download the new AWS firmware while pairing and get the grill connected. This should solve the issue you are having so the grill will now be able to download the files and get connected correctly. Please keep us in the loop with how this goes. Take care

Thank you for this.

Unfortunately these steps: (on grill go to menu -> settings -> about the grill, then hold ignite button until Traeger logo appears) do not work to factory reset my timberline 850...

1. Factory reset (on grill go to menu -> settings -> about the grill, then hold ignite button until Traeger logo appears)
2. Then check and make sure it is not still attached to your WiFI and if so, forget WiFi (which will be under settings -> WiFi information)

Once I get to "about grill" and hold down the ignite button, I can hold down the ignite button for 60+ seconds and a Traeger logo never appears.

Are there different reset steps for the timberline series?

Thank you for this.

Unfortunately these steps: (on grill go to menu -> settings -> about the grill, then hold ignite button until Traeger logo appears) do not work to factory reset my timberline 850...

Once I get to "about grill" and hold down the ignite button, I can hold down the ignite button for 60+ seconds and a Traeger logo never appears.

Are there different reset steps for the timberline series?
I'm not sure about that. You may have to call support and bring up the factory reset procedure that's going around and see if they have the steps to reset your version of the controller. Sorry I couldn't help. This factory reset let me get further with mine, but I'm not 100% upgraded and setup just yet.

Thanks to SmokeyJoe. It appears to have worked on my Ironwood 650 by resetting to the prior version so it could connect to my network. I then had to forget my network on the grill (command will be there only when you are connected). I deleted and reinstalled the iPhone app just for good measure and repaired the app and grill. Grill is now at Version 2.0 and working with the app. Nice to know about the reset.

I would also like to know how to hard reset the 1300. I cannot forget the wireless network.
Does anyone at Traeger monitor the forums?
I have tried to call and the help desk lady didn't really to seem to familiar with grills.

I received the below response from Traeger today with some factory reset steps to try. I won't have time to try this until tonight or tomorrow. If someone getting the certificate error has time to try this and report back that would be great.
-------------------------------
Hi Joe. We apologize for the wait over the weekend and we thank you for sending over the video This was helpful. Our IT director has informed us that you need a Factory reset as the controller is storing bad data and this is why it is having an error with the files downloading.

The grill should download the new AWS firmware while pairing and get the grill connected. This should solve the issue you are having so the grill will now be able to download the files and get connected correctly. Please keep us in the loop with how this goes. Take care

I was able to get this to work on my Pro 575 with the D2|wifire module.

at first I couldn’t get it to restore so I put it in demo mode then back out of demo mode then tried the reset instructions again and it worked.

I too am now on old firmware connected to my WiFi and I guess am waiting for an update to magically come. Oh and it didn’t connect to my app either.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 478
Thanks to SmokeyJoe. It appears to have worked on my Ironwood 650 by resetting to the prior version so it could connect to my network. I then had to forget my network on the grill (command will be there only when you are connected). I deleted and reinstalled the iPhone app just for good measure and repaired the app and grill. Grill is now at Version 2.0 and working with the app. Nice to know about the reset.
I’ve done this and still can’t connect. When you did it, did it download and update the software? I get that far, and then it asks me to name my grill and when I do, it gives me the provisioning error.

I think I got excited too early. I too am having issues eventually with this factory reset procedure, and eventually end back up at the certificate error.

1. I power on grill, and open Menu -> Settings -> About Grill. Shows v2.0.0, config ver: 06.008.
2. I hold Ignite button until Traeger logo appears.
3. After screen shows it's powered up, I power off. Wait 5-10 second, and power back on. (I've tried the following steps with display both on and off)
4. Open Menu -> Settings -> About, and grill shows version 01.01.06, config ver: 06.008.
5. I open WiFi settings to make sure it's running on it's own AP, and no network to forget.
6. After uninstalling phone app (Android 10), I reinstall, sign in, and start WiFire setup again.
7. Phone connects to grill, and sends my WiFi info.
8. Grill connects to my WiFi and maintains connection.
9. My phone reconnects to my WiFi network.
10. I'm presented with the "Nickname your grill" input.
11. I enter a grill name (I've been trying different names, just in case), and the app immediately goes back to main screen.
12. I go into menu and select WiFire again, and I'm presented with the "Add a Grill" setup again (?!?!)
13. If I try to setup again, my grill is already on my WiFi network, so my phone can't connect to it. I then get an error "Unable to connect to grill"
14. Ok, so I go back to the grill, WiFi settings, and forget my WiFi network.
15. Open the app (This step I've also tried uninstalling the app again before trying the setup again)
16. Start WiFire setup again.
17. Phone connects to grill. Grill connects to my Wifi network, like usual.
18. This is where it's different the second time.
19. Grill shows "Checking for updates"
20. Grill shows Downloading updates". Phone shows downloading updates and progress percentage.
21. After download completes, grill gives message, "Update in progress. Do not power off. Grill will reset"
22. Grill resets, and comes back on into standby.
23. Power on screen, and grill is on WiFi settings, back on the grill's AP/WiFi.
24. My phone app has the "Grill was unable to download certificates" error once again (!!!)
25. Further attempts at setting up WiFire always results in same "Grill failed to download certificates" error. Back right where I started.

I've repeated this about 6 times already, with the same results each time.

I've once again repeated steps 1-9, and then leaving it connected to my Wifi running version 01.01.06. I'll see if it updates itself tonight. I've about lost hope at this point. I'll send these same results back to Traeger and see what they say.

Since you got it working with an iPhone, I'm going to try all over again with my wife's iPhone tomorrow. Hope is still alive, but fading fast.

I think I got excited too early. I too am having issues eventually with this factory reset procedure, and eventually end back up at the certificate error.

1. I power on grill, and open Menu -> Settings -> About Grill. Shows v2.0.0, config ver: 06.008.
3. After screen shows it's powered up, I power off. Wait 5-10 second, and power back on. (I've tried the following steps with display both on and off)
4. Open Menu -> Settings -> About, and grill shows version 01.01.06, config ver: 06.008.
5. I open WiFi settings to make sure it's running on it's own AP, and no network to forget.
6. After uninstalling phone app (Android 10), I reinstall, sign in, and start WiFire setup again.
11. I enter a grill name (I've been trying different names, just in case), and the app immediately goes back to main screen.
12. I go into menu and select WiFire again, and I'm presented with the "Add a Grill" setup again (?!?!)
13. If I try to setup again, my grill is already on my WiFi network, so my phone can't connect to it. I then get an error "Unable to connect to grill"
15. Open the app (This step I've also tried uninstalling the app again before trying the setup again)
20. Grill shows Downloading updates". Phone shows downloading updates and progress percentage.
21. After download completes, grill gives message, "Update in progress. Do not power off. Grill will reset"
23. Power on screen, and grill is on WiFi settings, back on the grill's AP/WiFi.
24. My phone app has the "Grill was unable to download certificates" error once again (!!!)
25. Further attempts at setting up WiFire always results in same "Grill failed to download certificates" error. Back right where I started.

I've once again repeated steps 1-9, and then leaving it connected to my Wifi running version 01.01.06. I'll see if it updates itself tonight. I've about lost hope at this point. I'll send these same results back to Traeger and see what they say.

I have literally had the exact experience just now as well. Also tried a second (iPhone) phone.

I eventually end at the cannot download certs issue as well.

I too am going to leave it plugged in while it’s on the old firmware in hopes of an auto update.

Exact same thing happening to me. I read on Reddit people have had some luck turning off the grill, unplugging for a minute or two and turning back on, but NOT waking up the screen. I tried the process above this way with the same results. What I’ve decided to to is get it to the point where it’s on my network, but can’t connect via app, unplug grill for a minute, plug in, turn on, don’t wake up screen, and leave it for 24 hours.

Add me to the list of people with the stupid certificate error. Grill was working fine on wifi since I got it last Memorial Day. Turned it on a few days ago to cook some dinner, ran the update, and no-go since. :mad:

Back