Costco’s Silverton 620/820 issue

Yes front of the grill. Back is okay. With the one screw in the middle I have movement. But the right side has an obvious gap. Not a big gap. Bu t (IMO) over time grease could get inside and run down to the bottom. If you dont pay attention to this you might have a grease build up and eventually a grease fire? I dont know. But you never know. So the T CS lady took the video she did on my grill and took it to service tech and came bck and said yes it could possibly be a safety issue. Said she'd send me a new grill which I got on Tuesday and imediately took back to Costco for the upgrade to the Century 885. I was happy with the 620. But happier with the bigger grill.

Wondering if I could find something that would be high heat resistant (& not toxic) to "seal" along the top of the front & back panels to keep grease from getting in there.

Wondering if I could find something that would be high heat resistant (& not toxic) to "seal" along the top of the front & back panels to keep grease from getting in there.
I was going to throw 2 screws one on each side. Or make a sheet metal L or U shaped to cover the gap. But I think 2 screws through the sheet to the frame would work. If no one comes to pick up my 620 grill I think I'm going to do the 2 screws to the inside frame.

If you get to keep the 620 & do the 2 screws, please post photos so we all can see the result.

Just did my 2nd cook today.

There is a small gap starting to appear along the inside front - right side.

Since there is only 1 screw dead center, I am assuming the heat is causing the gap on either side of the screw since the screw is holding it tight against the frame only in the center.

I don't need nor want a larger grill.
So, if the gap gets too big, I may just add a screw on both ends in lieu of having Traeger replace the 620 with another 620 that will just do the same thing.

I am assuming there is something solid behind there to be able to screw into.

Even if I add the screws, I may try to find some sealant (heat resistant & food safe) to also seal along the top - just to make sure no grease gets down behind the heat shield (front & back)

If the gap continues to get bigger. I would be tempted to take the pan out of the grill and bend it “flatter” so it is pushing outwards harder when installed.

I am considering removing the 1 center screw & putting a LavaLock gasket between the panel & the frame.

I would then replace the center screw & add 2 additional screws on both sides of the center screw.

OR, I could just use this & then add the additional screws once it cures.

Too bad it is red!
Looking for a better color.

My 620 is still in the backyard. Ended up using it yesterday as I couldnt fit the rack of burnt end in the 885. Once I know it’s staying here I’ll fix the issue.

Pilot freight, if they call, your out, if they don't, enjoy. My return took a month and that was during covid.

Pilot freight, if they call, your out, if they don't, enjoy. My return took a month and that was during covid.
Yes. In the meantime I’m using both grills. Needed the 620 yesterday for my burnt ends. I’m waiting a month+. Not holding my breath.

I have the Silverton 810 and mine had the gap since day 1. I have had it for almost 1-year and have not had any problems with the gap, other than poor heat retention which is part of my list of issues. However, that is the least of my problems and strongly considering returning it to Costco and buying a Timberline. Unfortunately, all I ever hear is how poor Costco Traegers are and that you should never buy one that is specifically made for Costco.

Granted, I purchased my 810 as one of the first editions and some of its flaws might have been improved, similar to the 620 first edition. I am also not one that wants to do any heavy modifications when I expect it to perform well, especially that I owned a Renegade Pro for 5 years prior to purchasing a Silverton without any issues and perfect smoking. Anyone else having such headaches or do I just have a lemon?

Last edited:
I see I was the last to post, and I have about had it with my Silverton 810 that I am cleaning it up to return to Costco. Today, trying to go low and slow, I get an error message on my phone that my Traeger fire has gone out, and I need to check my pellets and restart. I go outside, and I have a large amount of nasty greenish smoke that smells so bad! I did not hear any fan running or anything, so I did what I thought was right, and I pressed the power button to shutdown and allow all the smoke to dissipate. But, with the shutdown mode activated, I hear the fan kick on, and within seconds, my Traeger explodes!

I have only heard that this was an issue for those who never clean their Traeger or clean out the firepot!

Last edited:
Someone on this forum mentioned that they would come pick up my Silverton grill within 2 months. Well yesterday was 2 months and they did come. Should charged them with storage fees. But don’t know who to charge, Traeger or the Freight company?

Someone on this forum mentioned that they would come pick up my Silverton grill within 2 months. Well yesterday was 2 months and they did come. Should charged them with storage fees. But don’t know who to charge, Traeger or the Freight company?

Was hoping they would not pick it up & you would have been able to keep it.

Was looking forward to you experimenting on fixing its design flaw(s) to see if I could use anything you discovered on my Silverton 620.

I guess Traeger finally realized how many were never getting picked up.

Last edited:
So, did you get a replacement from Traeger directly or a refund?

I've been procrastinating taking mine back to Costco as a return. Literally last night Traeger was at my local Costco and I spoke with them. They told me not to return it to Costco but to give Traeger a chance to fix my issues. Said that I had a bad smoker with the numerous issues that I've had.

What do you guys suggest?

So, did you get a replacement from Traeger directly or a refund?

I've been procrastinating taking mine back to Costco as a return. Literally last night Traeger was at my local Costco and I spoke with them. They told me not to return it to Costco but to give Traeger a chance to fix my issues. Said that I had a bad smoker with the numerous issues that I've had.

What do you guys suggest?
Traeger sent me a new Silverton 575. I had this one for 2 months. The same day they sent me a new one I took it back to Costco still in the box and upgraded to the Century 885. I’m so glad I did.

Back