Consistantly Blowing a GFI Circuit

skrgain

Reaction score
Grill
Executive
My 12-year old (ish) Executive trips my GFI circuit after a minute of operation. I suspect this is either the auger motor or heating element on the way out. Have you had this problem before? Can I use a multi-meter to test or use some other trick? Thanks

Last edited:
My 12-year old (ish) Executive trips my GFI circuit after a minute of operation. I suspect this is either the auger motor or eating element on the way out. Have you had this problem before? Can I use a multi-meter to test or use some other trick? Thanks
Check for a ground fault, use a meter to verify a good ground connection thru the cord to the grill. Could be a loose or broken ground wire.

GFI outlets can go bad as well. I had one that would always pop on my Traeger. Put a new one in and problem went away.

GFI outlets can go bad as well. I had one that would always pop on my Traeger. Put a new one in and problem went away.
Yes, thanks. I tried several outlets on several different breakers.

GFIs are getting more sensitive and cheaper made at the same time...
I replace them for customers all the time, they go bad... period.

Since you feel confident that you ruled-out a faulty GFI I would agree with your suspicion, in my feeble mind. In general, I know how to measure a current draw but I don't recall how to measure it across only one component. And even at that, you might need to know the specified draw from the hot rod and motor.

As a layman, if I had to make guesses, I suppose I'd disconnect the hot rod and motor in separate steps to see if the unit still tripped the breaker (assuming the smoker will function without the hot rod and the motor).

Good luck and congrats on your 12-year old smoker!

GFI's monitor current flow from hot to neutral, all current is "supposed" to flow thru those two wires. If a component is flowing some current to ground (Leaking), then the breaker senses this imbalance and trips. If the ground wire fails, it will also trip. They are very sensitive to save lives. So, a wet component, abraded wires, etc. can cause a trip.

After a basic check of the power cord, I like the idea of unplugging one item at a time to see if a component is "leaking" to ground.

Latest Discussions

Back