Burnt Ends

mpanelli

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
I am looking to make burnt ends over the holiday weekend but will not be doing a brisket.
What meat works best for making them outside of brisket?

+1 for pork belly burnt ends

Thank you for the help. I think I am going to try the chuck version to start.
Is chuck the closest meat to the meat normally used?

Thanks again

Yes. Prob the closest thing you can find to a beef brisket that is still in a shape where you can cube it for burnt ends. Short ribs could work too, but that would come out more like a chopped brisket once you got them off of the bones.

Thank you for the help. I think I am going to try the chuck version to start.

Thanks again
Yes, and you cook it very similar to brisket.
So, if you don’t have any experience with brisket, it can help in that regard.

I've done variation on this several times with a chuck roast - comes out very nicely. I tend to improvise on the sauce, but a lot of that is just personal tastes.

I've cooked several chuck roast and end up eating them before I make the burn ends. I have also done Malcom Reeds "bacon burnt ends" several times. Fortunately I have a local shop that will give me a whole pork belly that has been cured as bacon just not sliced yet. It makes damn fine "burnt ends". Different flavor and texture then true burnt ends but they are a fan favorite none the less.

I am trying to salvage the rest of the brisket from the weekend. I would imagine I could cube up the cold leftovers and then do the burnt end process. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated. Oh, and time to get agrill thermometer because 13 hours for a 7 lb. brisket was just okay, not great.

Two words, Brisket Tacos! That’s what I’m doing tonight with the one I did last Saturday.

Thanks, good suggestion. Just to let people know that using my Ironwood for food at 350-375 degrees seems fine. It is just the lower temps that I am not sure of the accuracy.

+1 for pork belly burnt ends

Quick question about these. Most of the recipes I've seen call for cooking at 250-275. How do you actually get the smoke in them? Above 225, there isn't much if any.

Quick question about these. Most of the recipes I've seen call for cooking at 250-275. How do you actually get the smoke in them? Above 225, there isn't much if any.
Most recipes are for general smokers, stick burners and wood burners. You would need to adapt the temperature for the recipe for smoking on the Traeger. That and/or use a smoke tube.
You could always smoke at a lower temp for a couple hours and bump it up after.

Back