Brand New Timberline 850 issues - need some feedback thank you

I'm having the same issues on my Timberline 1300. Spoke to a supervisor, told him 2k for a grill and 1 month of use its bubbling.... no way. They're sending me a new one.

In response to drmcstford,
Okay the local Traeger Distributor where my TL850 actually came from replaced my TL850 about an hour and forty five minutes ago. Bubbling blistering paint must have occurred during the 'Seasoning Your Grill' pages 11 & 12. My replacement TL850 It came unassembled in the box and I know there was some chatter the other day about where are Traeger's are made... well I took a photo of the box shown here. Who'd a thunk it… China
3 photos showing the actual box on my deck, wasn't so sure this guy was going to pull the trigger and replace mine but he did, the photo showing Made In China and my downdraft paint blistering picture… I asked him about the seasoning my grill and he told me to just follow the book.. so that's what I intend to do... who knows what will happen with this new one.. let's hope it comes through... C'mon Traeger TL850 you can do it!!

Attachments

• InBox New Timberline 850.jpg
    InBox New Timberline 850.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 68
  • TL850 Paint Blistering back of barrel lower corner of downdraft.JPG
    TL850 Paint Blistering back of barrel lower corner of downdraft.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Traeger Made In China.jpg
    Traeger Made In China.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 69
In response to drmcstford,
Okay the local Traeger Distributor where my TL850 actually came from replaced my TL850 about an hour and forty five minutes ago. Bubbling blistering paint must have occurred during the 'Seasoning Your Grill' pages 11 & 12. My replacement TL850 It came unassembled in the box and I know there was some chatter the other day about where are Traeger's are made... well I took a photo of the box shown here. Who'd a thunk it… China
3 photos showing the actual box on my deck, wasn't so sure this guy was going to pull the trigger and replace mine but he did, the photo showing Made In China and my downdraft paint blistering picture… I asked him about the seasoning my grill and he told me to just follow the book.. so that's what I intend to do... who knows what will happen with this new one.. let's hope it comes through... C'mon Traeger TL850 you can do it!!

I thought everyone knew these are made in china. Just like every cell phone on the planet and almost every pellet grill out there with the exception of very few.

Glad they replaced yours. I'm waiting on mine to arrive.

I thought everyone knew these are made in china. Just like every cell phone on the planet and almost every pellet grill out there with the exception of very few.

Glad they replaced yours. I'm waiting on mine to arrive.

Designed & Engineered in UT ... manufactured in China / SE Asia (Vietnam) ... similar to Apple's tagline of "Designed by Apple in California"

So...they sent me my replacement lid and back. Swapped everything out...still off due to the side being bent/bowed in. The back panel does not address the bubbled paint. I have messaged them again asking for feedback.

Attachments

• BC813554-1230-44C2-A0A8-8B846651CF61.jpeg
    BC813554-1230-44C2-A0A8-8B846651CF61.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 101
  • FB976FEF-E729-49A4-B3AE-4D87CDF02AAB.jpeg
    FB976FEF-E729-49A4-B3AE-4D87CDF02AAB.jpeg
    222.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 700F0787-5447-46B8-A14A-F7CA6C6EA972.jpeg
    700F0787-5447-46B8-A14A-F7CA6C6EA972.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 102
  • A35E070C-261F-4D8F-A60B-5F01E55A8433.jpeg
    A35E070C-261F-4D8F-A60B-5F01E55A8433.jpeg
    212.2 KB · Views: 105
I asked him about the seasoning my grill and he told me to just follow the book.. so that's what I intend to do... who knows what will happen with this new one.. let's hope it comes through... C'mon Traeger TL850 you can do it!!

I have worked with high temp finishes a lot, and despite what the paint manufactures say i alwasy do a gradual "Paint Cure" 2-3 staged seasonings. 50% & 75% then 100% recommended temp cooling between each stage this allows the paint to cure with out burning or bubbling before exposure to high temps, considering all the grief you have been through if I were you I would adopt this approach. It can't hurt right and it might save you some disappointment.

Update....they messaged me back...

They will be replacing my grill. Also asked for the other one back. Wonder if I could keep it for parts?

So...they sent me my replacement lid and back. Swapped everything out...still off due to the side being bent/bowed in. The back panel does not address the bubbled paint. I have messaged them again asking for feedback.
This is utterly ridiculous - my TL850 blistered in the exact same place on the downdraft on the back right (looking from the rear side of the TL850) or backside of downdraft on the left hand side form the frontal view if the TL850 total BS

Attachments

• TL850 Paint Blistering back of barrel lower corner of downdraft.JPG
    TL850 Paint Blistering back of barrel lower corner of downdraft.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 42
This is utterly ridiculous - my TL850 blistered in the exact same place on the downdraft on the back right (looking from the rear side of the TL850) or backside of downdraft on the left hand side form the frontal view if the TL850 total BS
That sucks. They need to admit they have a design flaw and fix the issue. Then they need to do what is right and replace all the grills affected without hassling the customers.
There are definitely heat stress points on this grill and the IW series in those places, front and rear of the grill.

I have worked with high temp finishes a lot, and despite what the paint manufactures say i alwasy do a gradual "Paint Cure" 2-3 staged seasonings. 50% & 75% then 100% recommended temp cooling between each stage this allows the paint to cure with out burning or bubbling before exposure to high temps, considering all the grief you have been through if I were you I would adopt this approach. It can't hurt right and it might save you some disappointment.
Magoo40 - I certainly appreciate the information I had thought about not seasoning it at extreme 500 degree temperature at all - so you mentioned 2 to 3 stages at 50 75 and 100 per cent at what temperatures and for how long a period of time can you elaborate a bit further.. I don't want to see paint blistering or bubbling popping peeling what have you… thanks a lot for the feedback - Shawn KS

Trager instructions for SEASONING YOUR GRILL - INITIAL BURN IN

My suggestion are in red.

Before cooking the first batch of food in your new Traeger, you will need to season the grill. This simple, one-time initial firing process will ensure that you get the most out of your Traeger Wood Pellet Grill. We’re so excited that you’ve chosen to join Traeger Nation.
Step 1 Plug in grill to an electrical outlet and turn on
Step 2 -Prime your auger tube with pellets
Step 3 -Add hardwood pellets to hopper
Step 4 -Turn the main power switch on
Step 5 -Turn dial to "Select Auger" then choose "Prime Auger"
Step 6 -Once pellets begin to fall into firepot, select "Done" to turn off auger
Step 7Turn selection dial clockwise to 225°F (107°C) and press the dial
Step 8Press ignite, close the lid, and when the temperature reaches 225°F, run for 20 minutes then Shutdown grill and let cool.
Start Gill again

Step 9 Turn selection dial clockwise to 340°F (170°C) and press the dial run for 20 minutes then Shutdown grill and let cool.
Start Gill again
Step 10 Turn selection dial clockwise to 450°F (230°C) and press the dial run for 20 minutes then Shutdown grill and let cool.

This approach will help give the paint time to "cure" before long cooks at high temps , hope it helps.

Last edited:
Trager instructions for SEASONING YOUR GRILL - INITIAL BURN IN

My suggestion are in red.

Before cooking the first batch of food in your new Traeger, you will need to season the grill. This simple, one-time initial firing process will ensure that you get the most out of your Traeger Wood Pellet Grill. We’re so excited that you’ve chosen to join Traeger Nation.
Step 1 Plug in grill to an electrical outlet and turn on
Step 2 -Prime your auger tube with pellets
Step 3 -Add hardwood pellets to hopper
Step 4 -Turn the main power switch on
Step 5 -Turn dial to "Select Auger" then choose "Prime Auger"
Step 6 -Once pellets begin to fall into firepot, select "Done" to turn off auger
Step 7Turn selection dial clockwise to 225°F (107°C) and press the dial
Step 8Press ignite, close the lid, and when the temperature reaches 225°F, run for 20 minutes then Shutdown grill and let cool.
Start Gill again

Step 9 Turn selection dial clockwise to 340°F (170°C) and press the dial run for 20 minutes then Shutdown grill and let cool.
Start Gill again
Step 10 Turn selection dial clockwise to 450°F (230°C) and press the dial run for 20 minutes then Shutdown grill and let cool.

This approach will help give the paint time to "cure" before exposure to high temps , hope it helps.
magoo40 - Okie dokie I will follow this recommendation thank you for providing this and laying out this procedure for me to follow I am grateful and appreciate it very much friend - I will let you know how things go for me thanks again magoo40 - Shawn in KS near KC - Chiefs country

Hmmm...I think my replacement grill shows up this week based on the FEDEX and UPS emails I received. I ordered some stuff from Traeger. I'm not sure if I should season it how Traeger recommends or how @magoo40 suggests.

Hmmm...I think my replacement grill shows up this week based on the FEDEX and UPS emails I received. I ordered some stuff from Traeger. I'm not sure if I should season it how Traeger recommends or how @magoo40 suggests.
It can't hurt to take it slow on the burn in.

My 850 has no bubbles and I also seasoned it in a few sessions.

Good question RustyJake - where are Traeger products made? My best guess is China would that surprise anyone not on your life -
These are absolutely made in China here it is off the box of my new TL850

Attachments

• Traeger Made In China.jpg
    Traeger Made In China.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 25

Latest Discussions

Back