Apple cider vinegar vs apple juice in marinade

Rossco

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood
Let me start by stating that I love my wife.

We are smoking a tenderloin this weekend for some friends and the recipe calls for apple juice. My wife wants to use apple cider vinegar instead. We are both new to smoking and I follow these recipes to the letter. Will it change the food if I use cider vs apple juice? Can I placate her by using both and mixing them together? I just do not want to change the recipe and blow the meal, because you all know who will be blamed.

Apple Juice and Apple Cider have more sugar content than Apple Cider Vinegar. I wouldn't expect something with Apple Cider Vinegar to caramelize and crust the same but I've never tried it. Not really a fan of the flavor of Apple Cider Vinegar.

I've tried it both ways, and both cooks tasted great. Mad Scientist applies Cider Vinegar with a spray bottle periodically so that's what I did last time.

My family is partial to cider vinegar.

My go to injection is:
1/3 apple juice
1/3 apple cider vinegar
1/3 apple beer

My go to injection is:
1/3 apple juice
1/3 apple cider vinegar
1/3 apple beer
Nice! But I'll probable drink the beer before it gets to the injection! 🍻

We are smoking a tenderloin this weekend for some friends and the recipe calls for apple juice. My wife wants to use apple cider vinegar instead. We are both new to smoking and I follow these recipes to the letter. Will it change the food if I use cider vs apple juice? Can I placate her by using both and mixing them together? I just do not want to change the recipe and blow the meal, because you all know who will be blamed.
I've used both and my fav is definitely the apple juice. I also use apple juice in a spray bottle to spritz pork butt, pork tenderloin and port ribs during the smoking process. I also add apple juice to the foil wrap used during the second part of cooking a pork butt.

Attachments

• IMG_4890.JPEG
    IMG_4890.JPEG
    271.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Apple juice works better and gives a nice sweetness that pairs well with pork !

ACV has a much higher acid content, so if you ever use it make sure it's on a meat that doesn't sit in the ACV too long. That will cause the meat to get soft - even to the point of mushy.

After reading all the posts about using apple cider vinegar, I went on a quest to find some at my local grocery stores this morning. To my surprise all I am finding is apple cider. Is ACV a regional thing or are you all making ACV (eg, buy some apple cider and add some white vinegar and is so what are the proportions) ?

@Svenster
Your profile lists Spokane, I looked online and Fred Meyer shows Apple cider vinegar on their website. Both Kroger and Heinz came up, and looks to be a couple other brands available. Safeway should have it as well, if you have one there.

Last edited:
I prefer the apple juice, although I have used an apple juice/apple whisky blend and that turned out very well.

Hmmmm....I'm doing a pork tenderloin tomorrow. I'll have to use that blend again. :cool:

Back