Apple cider vinegar vs apple juice in marinade

Rossco

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood
Let me start by stating that I love my wife.

We are smoking a tenderloin this weekend for some friends and the recipe calls for apple juice. My wife wants to use apple cider vinegar instead. We are both new to smoking and I follow these recipes to the letter. Will it change the food if I use cider vs apple juice? Can I placate her by using both and mixing them together? I just do not want to change the recipe and blow the meal, because you all know who will be blamed.

traeger860

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
Apple Juice and Apple Cider have more sugar content than Apple Cider Vinegar. I wouldn't expect something with Apple Cider Vinegar to caramelize and crust the same but I've never tried it. Not really a fan of the flavor of Apple Cider Vinegar.

RemE

Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
I've tried it both ways, and both cooks tasted great. Mad Scientist applies Cider Vinegar with a spray bottle periodically so that's what I did last time.

My family is partial to cider vinegar.

Timmy

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780, Bronson 20 , Char grill gasser, Char griller modified offset, Blackstone 3 burner griddle
My go to injection is:
1/3 apple juice
1/3 apple cider vinegar
1/3 apple beer

RoadRunner18

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300; Pitts and Spitts Maverick 2000
My go to injection is:
1/3 apple juice
1/3 apple cider vinegar
1/3 apple beer
Nice! But I'll probable drink the beer before it gets to the injection! 🍻

Timmy

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780, Bronson 20 , Char grill gasser, Char griller modified offset, Blackstone 3 burner griddle

TedD

Reaction score
Grill
Silverton TFS62G

We are smoking a tenderloin this weekend for some friends and the recipe calls for apple juice. My wife wants to use apple cider vinegar instead. We are both new to smoking and I follow these recipes to the letter. Will it change the food if I use cider vs apple juice? Can I placate her by using both and mixing them together? I just do not want to change the recipe and blow the meal, because you all know who will be blamed.
I've used both and my fav is definitely the apple juice. I also use apple juice in a spray bottle to spritz pork butt, pork tenderloin and port ribs during the smoking process. I also add apple juice to the foil wrap used during the second part of cooking a pork butt.

Attachments

• IMG_4890.JPEG
    IMG_4890.JPEG
    271.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

SteveMilne40

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780, Pro 34, Ranger, tailgater, Pro 575, Texas Elite, bbq 150

Apple juice works better and gives a nice sweetness that pairs well with pork !

SmokerDave

Reaction score
Grill
Silverton 610

ACV has a much higher acid content, so if you ever use it make sure it's on a meat that doesn't sit in the ACV too long. That will cause the meat to get soft - even to the point of mushy.

Latest Discussions