Any

Gas grill for searing. Either on the grates or on the griddle pan
20240708_164854.jpg

Thanks but I traded my Weber gas grill for a Blackstone griddle. Pellets and the griddle are all I want. Burgers are better on the griddle and everything else is better on the Traeger. Just need something to quickly sear without heating the meat too much after a slow smoke on the Traeger. The new infrared grills look like they would work but hoping for some advice from someone with experience before I buy.
You asked what we are using without expending big bucks, I expended $0, as I had the gas grill already as well as the flat griddle option to replace the grates with. So I have a small flat top surface as well, if I choose to sear that way
The new Timberline XL series has an induction side burner option. It was advertised to be used for searing in a cast iron pan. Those induction stoves are available fairly cheap as another option to infrared.
I can't be of any help with them, as I don't own either. Good luck, hopefully someone using one will chime in

Thanks but I traded my Weber gas grill for a Blackstone griddle. Pellets and the griddle are all I want. Burgers are better on the griddle and everything else is better on the Traeger. Just need something to quickly sear without heating the meat too much after a slow smoke on the Traeger. The new infrared grills look like they would work but hoping for some advice from someone with experience before I buy.
Have you tried putting your steaks (after the Traeger) in a ziplock bag and then into an ice bath to cool them down, then sear on a blazing hot griddle/Blackstone. I do it for my buddies, I’m not much on smoked steak but they love it. The only smoked steak I like is cooked over oak coals on my buddies offset. I put mine in a vacuum sealed bag and into my Sous Vide then ice bath and sear on my Blackstone, does really good.

This place is awesome. 200 views and not a single reply. lol

You asked a pretty specific question about the Bighorn grill/broiler. I had never heard of them and I suspect most of the forum members haven't either. That is why you did not get a reply. The replies you have gotten since have offered alternatives, but nobody directly answered your initial question.

Since you have a Blackstone griddle, why didn't you use it for searing? When cooking steaks, I smoke them on my Ironwood pellet grill until they reach an internal temp of 120-125F. I allow them to rest for a few minutes to cool down, blot them to remove any surface moisture, and then reverse sear them on my Flat Iron griddle set to high. I like my steaks medium, so I finish them at 140F on the griddle.

If reverse searing your steaks on the Blackstone overcooks them, you are either cooking them to too high a temp on the Traeger or not allowing them to cool before searing. If you like your steaks rare, you can even cool them in the refrigerator before searing to insure you do not overcook the steaks.

The Bighorn uses direct heat, kind of like Ruth Chris Steakhouse uses to sear their steaks. It that is what you are trying to replicate then have at it. Please come back and let us know your thoughts on the broiler after you have tried it. Perhaps you are on to something.

Gas pizza cookers like Ooni also use direct heat from a gas flame. Although they do not quite reach the temperature of the Bighorn, they get plenty hot enough to sear a steak. You only need to achieve a temperature of 400F or higher to sear meat. The only advantage of higher temperatures is that the sear occurs more quickly.

Another alternative used by some one the forum is the propane or MAP-Pro gas blow torch such as the GrillBlazer Sous-VGun. That specific model is expensive, but it is probably the best designed and safest. You can get Chinese made knockoffs for far less, but they might lack some of the safety features. The torches can sear a steak quite rapidly as the flame temperature can exceed 3000F.

This place is awesome. 200 views and not a single reply. lol
It’s not like everyone that looks at the post on here are interested in anything other than what they cook on their Traeger’s. Actually the majority are only on here for Traeger cooking and recipes. Also you got mine and other replies and obviously you didn’t like our suggestions. I’m interested in how well this expensive grill works because I cook on other things as well. I’m not a big steak eater I usually choose chicken over it most times but I when I do eat a steak I want a good one.

Please be a little more patient on here, at times it’s not a lot of people just waiting to read a new post right away. We are happy to have you with us and we (several) of us are interested in how this is going to play out, so please keep us posted and thanks for joining us!

It’s not like everyone that looks at the post on here are interested in anything other than what they cook on their Traeger’s. Actually the majority are only on here for Traeger cooking and recipes. Also you got mine and other replies and obviously you didn’t like our suggestions. I’m interested in how well this expensive grill works because I cook on other things as well. I’m not a big steak eater I usually choose chicken over it most times but I when I do eat a steak I want a good one.

Please be a little more patient on here, at times it’s not a lot of people just waiting to read a new post right away. We are happy to have you with us and we (several) of us are interested in how this is going to play out, so please keep us posted and thanks for joining us!
It was me, I have a compulsive disorder, I clicked on the thread 199 times 😄🤣

Got the Bighorn. !st attempt was honestly one of the best steaks I have ever had. Slow smoked it to 120 or so then 2 passes each side for 30 seconds under the 1500 degree infrared gizmo and wow. It works way better than I was hoping. Thick crusty outside and edge to edge juicy med rare.
Thanks for coming back and letting us know

Back