Winter versus summer

Could the temp and humidity in the winter have to do with how much smoke you are seeing? Kind of like a car exhaust, in the winter it looks like you have a blown head gasket in the summer nothing. I know it's not wood smoke coming from the exhaust but in a cold climate what you see in the winter is a lot different than what you see in the summer...
That’s different with automobiles, in the winter the exhaust system is cold so what you’re seeing is vapor instead of smoke. Not to mention the exhaust temperatures are very high.
I’ve been using my green egg for a very long time and I’ve never seen any difference in the smoke in cold weather vs warm weather. It’s more about the airflow and the type of wood. Same with lighting and keeping it burning, temperature has never been a factor for me.

Yes, seeing "nothing" in the winter is definately a bad sign... NO SMOKE. Where you should see alot more smoke in the cold if that were true.
I ordered my tubes today.

The combustion of wood releases water vapor and CO2 along with heat and other combustion biproducts. Furthermore, cooking meat and vegetables releases moisture which becomes water vapor. In the summer, the air is hot enough to absorb additional water vapor unless it is foggy. In winter, any moisture in the exhaust will condense shortly after contacting the cold air. Thus, you should always expect to see more exhaust in winter than in summer.

Because it takes more fuel to maintain the temperature in the cooking chamber when the ambient temperature is low, you should also get more actual smoke (combustion biproducts).

It was minus 36 here the other day, we went through a bit of a cold snap, and I did baby back ribs, and the consensus was they they were the best yet, so there maybe validity to the “more” smoke concept in winter. I did go through more pellets, but really it was not that much more on my Ironwood 650

It was minus 36 here the other day, we went through a bit of a cold snap, and I did baby back ribs, and the consensus was they they were the best yet, so there maybe validity to the “more” smoke concept in winter. I did go through more pellets, but really it was not that much more on my Ironwood 650

Minus 36 is cold no matter whether you are talking Celsius or Fahrenheit. Since frostbite occurs rapidly in such weather, I think I would have waited for a warm-up.

Minus 36 is cold no matter whether you are talking Celsius or Fahrenheit. Since frostbite occurs rapidly in such weather, I think I would have waited for a warm-up.
My smoker set up is 15’ from the door, so not the biggest issue once the ribs are on and wifire connected,,,, LOL

Shedd my friend, you are a genius!!!
Tried out my knew holey tubes last night and the difference is night and day.
Lit and stayed lit till I blew it out, layed it down, continuous smoke.
When I was done with it I put it out in the driveway to let it smolder itself out and it burst back into flames. It couldn't smoke enough.
Thanks so much,, something so simple makes a huge difference.
Much Appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2777.jpg
    IMG_2777.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2778.jpg
    IMG_2778.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2779.jpg
    IMG_2779.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 10
Shedd my friend, you are a genius!!!
Tried out my knew holey tubes last night and the difference is night and day.
Lit and stayed lit till I blew it out, layed it down, continuous smoke.
When I was done with it I put it out in the driveway to let it smolder itself out and it burst back into flames. It couldn't smoke enough.
Thanks so much,, something so simple makes a huge difference.
Much Appreciated.
I’m glad you got it working. You can play around with different kinds of chips and chunks (flavor ) as well as how much you need to use vs length of smoke. Most of the time mine are still smoking well after the grill has shut off. I get them out before next cook and the clean grates.

Back