WiFire on a PC?

My laptop is a quad core I believe. I think I'll get some cheap phone or tablet to link to the grill
instead. I did that for my Mavic drone but don't want to separate it from the drone controls.

My laptop is a quad core I believe. I think I'll get some cheap phone or tablet to link to the grill
instead. I did that for my Mavic drone but don't want to separate it from the drone controls.

Based on this Intel spec sheet, the Intel Core i3-2130 CPU 3.40 GHz is Dual Core | Quad Thread ... https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/53428/intel-core-i3-2130-processor-3m-cache-3-40-ghz.html?wapkw=i3 2130

What processor is in the laptop? The Traeger App on Android is a bit limited on device support (better support for phones versus tablets) ... if your current device that is running the Mavic drone has Google Play loaded, you could load the Traeger App and verify it works on that device and if it does, get a 2nd device ... then you have a backup for the drone as well :) ...

Did just that and remembered I wanted a bigger display for the drone any way so a small tablet for the drone is coming soon.

WiFire is compatible with Windows 10, so you can download and install it on your PC without any issues..

BlueStacks is fairly resource intensive, so I have found that I sometimes have to launch it after a reboot in order to get it to run as expected.

One of my friends uses MEmu for Android emulation, so that is another option to consider (I haven’t tried it …) -

Both BlueStacks and MEmu are focused on running games, so they have fairly demanding requirements (RAM, CPU, etc.) …

Internet speed is generally irrelevant since the emulator is running locally on your computer. What are the hardware specs of your Windows 10 computer (Processor Type, RAM, etc.)?

There are quite a few support documents available on their website for troubleshooting performance related issues - here is one regarding enabling virtualization within Windows 10 - https://support.bluestacks.com/hc/e...Virtualization-on-Windows-10-for-BlueStacks-4

I am also running BlueStacks on a 2012 Mac Mini (macOS 10.14.6) as well, but I have to be sure there is enough available memory and cpu threads, else it will give me an error regarding lack of resources, and will not launch …

I have also used Memu for Android emulation on Windows machines. I have not tried the Traeger app as I do not find it to be useful. I do not trust the Traeger RTD temperature probe, nor do I trust the internal temperature probe. Thus the only advantage I get using the WireFire app is the alerts from the pellet sensor on my Ironwood.

Even if you get the Traeger app running in an emulator on a PC, you are still likely to need to use a cell phone or tablet with both 2.4gHz WiFi and Bluetooth in order to set the grill up on your LAN. You can always borrow one from a friend for the initial setup. If possibe, borrow and Android device as I understand that iOS devices can sometimes be finicky with the WireFire connection. However, I do not have an iOS device, so I am only going by what I read.

The other issue is that it helps to have separate SSIDs on your router for the 2.4 gHz and 5 gHz bands. The WireFire controller will only connect to 2.4 gHz. Thus, you phone or tablet has to be connected to 2.4 gHz. If you have a newer device that has capability of 5gHz and are using a router with a single SSID for both bands, your phone or tablet will connect to the 5 gHz band. To prevent that from happening, you will need to turn of 5gHz on either your phone or router before attempting to connect the WireFire controller.

A couple of months ago, I upgraded to a new router and had to reconnect all my devices. I have yet to reconnect the Traeger grill. I am not sure the functionality is worth the effort for me as I seldom do unattended cooks.

There is also this: https://github.com/sebirdman/hass_traeger

lovelace.png

Back