WiFire issue

notlob

Reaction score
Just purchased an Ironwood 885 and not having any luck in connecting Traeger app to grill ...well, sort of. The app recognized the grill and ID’d it and then the grill started updating by downloading files. This hasn’t stopped downloading for the past 10 or so days. The grill is connected to my home network and the connection to my wifi network is excellent.
I called Traeger who led me through some things to do including deleting the grill from the app. I did this and at Traeger’s suggestion, tried to Add a Grill. This wouldn’t let me as the grill is still ‘downloading files’ so will not ‘speak’ with the app. The Traeger support person said that apparently there had been an issue with the latest release of the Traeger app. This was being worked on by Traeger to resolve the issue and hopefully would be available within the next few days..This apparently affected all Ironwood models and Pro models and that at the current time, they could use the WiFire. Going onto some of the other Traeger forums, nobody else seems to have this wifire issue? Can anyone please confirm that this is an outstanding issue and hasn’t been fixed yet that I will have to wait until the fix is sorted out or is there anything else I can do to get it resolved? Thank you..
Regards Raymond
PS there is no option on the grill for me to ‘forget the network’ ...presumably because the grill is in the middle of ‘downloading files’

Just purchased an Ironwood 885 and not having any luck in connecting Traeger app to grill ...well, sort of. The app recognized the grill and ID’d it and then the grill started updating by downloading files. This hasn’t stopped downloading for the past 10 or so days. The grill is connected to my home network and the connection to my wifi network is excellent.
I called Traeger who led me through some things to do including deleting the grill from the app. I did this and at Traeger’s suggestion, tried to Add a Grill. This wouldn’t let me as the grill is still ‘downloading files’ so will not ‘speak’ with the app. The Traeger support person said that apparently there had been an issue with the latest release of the Traeger app. This was being worked on by Traeger to resolve the issue and hopefully would be available within the next few days..This apparently affected all Ironwood models and Pro models and that at the current time, they could use the WiFire. Going onto some of the other Traeger forums, nobody else seems to have this wifire issue? Can anyone please confirm that this is an outstanding issue and hasn’t been fixed yet that I will have to wait until the fix is sorted out or is there anything else I can do to get it resolved? Thank you..
Regards Raymond
PS there is no option on the grill for me to ‘forget the network’ ...presumably because the grill is in the middle of ‘downloading files’

What does the upper right hand corner of the WiFIRE Controller display currently show ... an outline of a triangle (disconnected from Wi-Fi), or a triangle made with bars (connected to Wi-Fi)?

If the former, then I would power cycle the grill ... if the latter, then it is possible that the download process has disconnected, or hung, and I would still consider power cycling the grill ...

From what I have witnessed, there are 3 phases to the WiFIRE Controller interacting with the Traeger Cloud back-end relative to Firmware / Config Version updates ... First there is Checking for Files - that usually only appears for a short time ... Second there is Downloading Files - that can appear for a short period of time to what you are experiencing ... Third is Applying Updates - this is the only one of the 3 phases where you definitely do NOT want to power cycle the grill, since you run the risk of "bricking" the controller if it is in the middle of updating the Firmware ...

The May Update release has caused a subset of WiFIRE Controllers to unexpectedly shutdown after they have been installed ... people would power on their grill, and in a matter of seconds, or up to 15-30m, they would then experience the shutdown ... turning on the grill would result in the same behavior reoccurring ... the workaround resolution (pending a "fix" from Traeger, or a replacement controller sent out) for this issue is to disconnect from Wi-Fi via the Forget Network option and run the grill via the Dial & Display manually ...

The ONLY time the Forget Network option is not listed under Wi-Fi Information is if the controller is not actively connected to your Home Wi-Fi Network ... thus given your feedback above, I am going to guess that your controller display is showing a triangle outline in the upper right hand corner, and the Downloading Files message on screen is due to the fact that the process was running when the controller lost connection to the Wi-Fi Network, and the controller is not programmed to gracefully deal with that kind of broken connection, thus it never updates the message on the display ...

Last edited:
Thanks for getting back to me on this. I don’t really see any triangle that you mention?! There is a tiny ‘icon’ in upper right that has three black square on top and one on the bottom...which could be an upside down triangle I guess....but no triangle. When going to the wi-if information, it says it is connected to: (my home network) and Downloading Files which sounds like the second scenario you mention.
How do I disconnect from the wifi network? I cannot see any option for me to “Forget the Network”. I have gone through all the items in Settings looking for this but nada. The only information in wifi is as mentioned above.
I would really like to get this resolved. Thank you for your help.

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I don’t really see any triangle that you mention?! There is a tiny ‘icon’ in upper right that has three black square on top and one on the bottom...which could be an upside down triangle I guess....but no triangle. When going to the wi-if information, it says it is connected to: (my home network) and Downloading Files which sounds like the second scenario you mention.
How do I disconnect from the wifi network? I cannot see any option for me to “Forget the Network”. I have gone through all the items in Settings looking for this but nada. The only information in wifi is as mentioned above.
I would really like to get this resolved. Thank you for your help.

To start with, your Ironwood 885 has a D2 WiFIRE Controller installed (DC-powered), not the Gen1 AC-powered WiFIRE Controller, or the D2 ARC (IRONWOOD) as referenced just below the mid-point of the WiFIRE Status Page (https://www.traegergrills.com/status), correct? I've seen people purchase units that were on the dealer floor as close-out specials recently, and come to find that their units are old(er) and do not have the D2 WiFIRE Controllers, but are the Gen1 AC-powered or the D2 ARC ...

Attached a couple photos showing the difference of what you'd see in the upper right hand corner ... Connected = stacked bars that look like an upside down triangle ... Disconnected is the outline of an upside down triangle ...

That being said, downloading updates does not take more than an hour or two when things are working as expected ... and if you've really been seeing that message for 10+ days, the WiFIRE Controller process for downloading files is more than likely hung ... so long as the display is not showing Applying Updates, at this point, I would power cycle the controller ...

So long as the controller believes it is downloading files, even if that is false due to the process being hung, you will not be able to walk through the setup process, hence power cycling the grill will get everything back to "normal" so that either it can try downloading the files again, or allow you to run setup successfully ...

Attachments

• Traeger | WiFIRE "Connected" State.jpg
    Traeger | WiFIRE "Connected" State.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 175
  • Traeger | WiFIRE "Disconnected" State.JPG
    Traeger | WiFIRE "Disconnected" State.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
I’m having problems with my 575 since I bought it. First it was a start up/ignition problem. Now it’s the wifire and app and phone connection problem after trying to or actually updating this smoker.

I’m not wanting to call in and keep doing everything I have done over and over again.
Now I’m disgusted with this $800 unit.

I send in videos and photos of the problem and I get asked questions that show they don’t read or watch my emails.

I’m having problems with my 575 since I bought it. First it was a start up/ignition problem. Now it’s the wifire and app and phone connection problem after trying to or actually updating this smoker.

I’m not wanting to call in and keep doing everything I have done over and over again.
Now I’m disgusted with this $800 unit.

I send in videos and photos of the problem and I get asked questions that show they don’t read or watch my emails.

I can try and assist with the WiFIRE issues if you want to give it a go ... the end result will either be confirming you need a replacement controller, or getting things working "as expected" again ...

Ive been a Traeger Lurker for a few years and just finally purchased a Pro 780 online. While I wait (im)patiently I keep running across articles about wifire connectivity issues with the new Gen 2 grills. How prevalent are these in your opinion? these workarounds seems fairly straightforward, Ive just got a case of buyers remorse before it even shows up.

To start with, your Ironwood 885 has a D2 WiFIRE Controller installed (DC-powered), not the Gen1 AC-powered WiFIRE Controller, or the D2 ARC (IRONWOOD) as referenced just below the mid-point of the WiFIRE Status Page (https://www.traegergrills.com/status), correct? I've seen people purchase units that were on the dealer floor as close-out specials recently, and come to find that their units are old(er) and do not have the D2 WiFIRE Controllers, but are the Gen1 AC-powered or the D2 ARC ...

Attached a couple photos showing the difference of what you'd see in the upper right hand corner ... Connected = stacked bars that look like an upside down triangle ... Disconnected is the outline of an upside down triangle ...

That being said, downloading updates does not take more than an hour or two when things are working as expected ... and if you've really been seeing that message for 10+ days, the WiFIRE Controller process for downloading files is more than likely hung ... so long as the display is not showing Applying Updates, at this point, I would power cycle the controller ...

So long as the controller believes it is downloading files, even if that is false due to the process being hung, you will not be able to walk through the setup process, hence power cycling the grill will get everything back to "normal" so that either it can try downloading the files again, or allow you to run setup successfully ...

Thank you for that link to the status page of the traegergrills website as well as the pics of the wifi. Triangle. Though very tiny and hard to see, I think I have the one that is connected...three dots on top and one underneath. Yes this is the D2 WIFIRE controller and I have config 5.008...the latest should be 5.009. The SW is 02.00.01.
How do I power cycle to get everything back to normal? I thought I had done that with the Traeger support person and nothing happened?! Thank you for your input.

Thank you for that link to the status page of the traegergrills website as well as the pics of the wifi. Triangle. Though very tiny and hard to see, I think I have the one that is connected...three dots on top and one underneath. Yes this is the D2 WIFIRE controller and I have config 5.008...the latest should be 5.009. The SW is 02.00.01.
How do I power cycle to get everything back to normal? I thought I had done that with the Traeger support person and nothing happened?! Thank you for your input.

Flip the red power switch in the back - leave off for a minute and then power back on ... if after powering back on, you still see the display showing Downloading Files (without first showing Checking for Updates), then your controller is royally screwed up and the only option short of replacement from Traeger is to do a Factory Reset, which I assume they already had you try? No guarantees that the Factory Reset will help, and if it doesn't, then you're back to needing a replacement controller ...

See attached pics for the following:

The Forget Network option will always be displayed under the Wi-fi Information submenu when the controller is successfully attached to a Wi-Fi Network ...

Given that your controller is showing the upside down triangle with bars (i.e. Connected to Wi-Fi), but when you go into the Wi-fi Information submenu and it does not present an Forget Network option, is further evidence that the Controller is "borked" and not operating as expected ... in the Wi-FI INFORMATION screen on your controller, what value is listed alongside SSID: ?

Attachments

• Traeger | WiFIRE->Wi-fi Information submenu.JPG
    Traeger | WiFIRE->Wi-fi Information submenu.JPG
    228.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Traeger | Wi-Fi INFORMATION (Forget Network option).JPG
    Traeger | Wi-Fi INFORMATION (Forget Network option).JPG
    216.5 KB · Views: 62
Flip the red power switch in the back - leave off for a minute and then power back on ... if after powering back on, you still see the display showing Downloading Files (without first showing Checking for Updates), then your controller is royally screwed up and the only option short of replacement from Traeger is to do a Factory Reset, which I assume they already had you try? No guarantees that the Factory Reset will help, and if it doesn't, then you're back to needing a replacement controller ...

See attached pics for the following:

The Forget Network option will always be displayed under the Wi-fi Information submenu when the controller is successfully attached to a Wi-Fi Network ...

Given that your controller is showing the upside down triangle with bars (i.e. Connected to Wi-Fi), but when you go into the Wi-fi Information submenu and it does not present an Forget Network option, is further evidence that the Controller is "borked" and not operating as expected ... in the Wi-FI INFORMATION screen on your controller, what value is listed alongside SSID: ?
There is nothing else in this WiFi Information screen other than “Connected to: Bolton Network Downloading Files”. I looked in About Grill for the SSUD but nothing there on that either.

There is nothing else in this WiFi Information screen other than “Connected to: Bolton Network Downloading Files”. I looked in About Grill for the SSUD but nothing there on that either.
Also, I did turn it off for a few hours last night and after turning back on, I still receive the same message that it is “Downloading Files” I.e. nothing changed

Ive been a Traeger Lurker for a few years and just finally purchased a Pro 780 online. While I wait (im)patiently I keep running across articles about wifire connectivity issues with the new Gen 2 grills. How prevalent are these in your opinion? these workarounds seems fairly straightforward, Ive just got a case of buyers remorse before it even shows up.

Traeger had/has an issue with a subset of D2 WiFIRE Controllers that are susceptible to firmware corruption, thus they've been dealing with some customer angst since the January 2020 Update Release (a subset of users had the WiFIRE Controller successfully connected to their Home Wi-Fi Network, the January Update release installed, and they've not been able to reconnect without receiving a replacement controller), and now the May 2020 Update Release has a subset of users experiencing unexpected shutdowns (seconds or minutes after powering on) ... Traeger is working on a programmatic fix for this issue, and in some cases, sending out replacement controllers to customers who contact their support team ... The March 2020 Update Release, in hindsight, seemed to be targeted at a subset of Grill UUID values, thus when they introduced the 500 degree update, and people weren't getting the updates PUSHd down to them, they had upset customers trying to get something that their controller wasn't being offered via the Traeger Cloud back-end ...

In short - Traeger has a communication "problem" (they should have been transparent that the March Updates were not being released "wide" and that most users would need to wait until May to receive the necessary updates to support 500 degrees), and a QA/QC development problem relative to Firmware / Config Versions on the WiFIRE Controllers, as well as the App ... with the impact to their financials (support costs, the cost(s) associated with shipping out replacement controllers, "brand" damage from a vocal subset of frustrated owners across social media), you hope they are making the necessary changes/improvements to mitigate these issues going forward ...

The overall number of impacted users is probably relatively small given their overall installed customer base, but since people are understandably upset that things are not working as expected after spending $800-$2000, those impacted users are vocal about wanting resolution as quickly as possible ...

There are things you have to be aware of upfront to get the WiFIRE Controller connected to your Home Wi-Fi, and you may have to make some changes to accommodate those requirements ... I will post the 2 things to plan for from the beginning ... some of this will be dependent on your equipment (Router / Wireless Access Point in use, as well as the App Device) ...

If you want to share what the Make/Model of your Router / Wireless Access Point, as well as the Make / Model of your App Device, we can give you some pointers and things to watch out for in advance of your PRO 780s arrival ...

We've had our PRO 780 up-and-running since mid-February ... best purchase we've made in years ... the only "issues" so far have been with the March Updates not targeting our controllers Grill UUID value to provide the update feature around 500 degrees ... it finally "arrived" on May 19th/20th, and the grill continues to perform to our expectations ...

Is the SSID: value under the Wi-Fi Information screen blank/empty, showing Bolton Network, or Traeger-XXXX (where XXXX are alphanumeric characters) ... if it is blank/empty - your controller is definitely screwed up ... Have you performed the Factory Reset steps on the WiFIRE Controller when you spoke with Trager Support?

I’m sure I did the factory reset when I was speaking with support. Can’t quite remember exactly what it was but I think I had to hold the ignition for 3 secs (or something like that.) then turn the grill off and wait a short while and turn it back on. Nothing changed and I just got the same message of “downloading files”
FYI as I mentioned before, I don’t get the “Forget Network” in the WiFi Information. I only have the info of the Network I’m connected to and “downloading files” ...and then “back” ...that’s it.

Also, I did turn it off for a few hours last night and after turning back on, I still receive the same message that it is “Downloading Files” I.e. nothing changed

Menu button -> navigate down to Wi-fi Information option -> press in dial button to select -> then the Wi-Fi INFORMATION sub-menu will show the following ... SSID: , Signal Strength , MAC: , and a Back option, as well as a Forget Network option (if successfully attached to a Wi-Fi Network) ...

The About Grill option shows the installed SW VER: (this is the firmware), CONFIG VER: (this is where features are updated/added), UUID: (this is the value used by the Traeger Cloud back-end to identify your grill, track your usage, and determine whether the controller is in need of any updates) ...

Latest Discussions

Back