Wi-Fire, is it me? Or does it suck for everyone?

RemE

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
I love the grill, and want to love the WiFire but it seems to be functionally worthless as a notification system. I have super strong WiFi to the grill, can connect and see the status, BUT, it basically doesn't alarm thru the app.

I was smoking and then reverse searing two Tri-Tips and some chicken. I used the probe and when I plugged it in I chose "yes, set an alarm". I set the alarm temp to 125F and expected to get a notification, nope! I happened to check the app temp was still low, closed the app and re-connected to see that the temp was 135F A#!! I pulled the meat and did the reverse sear, the meat still came out great but I am super disappointed in the grill.

As an insult, I got a push notification this morning! "Grill Fired up!" , WTF, the grill was unplugged last night.

I've no idea of the data flow for WiFire but I will be calling in to service, this performance is just sad.

GrillMeister

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885, Century 22, PTG
I hear ya. It's seems to be that the app needs to be active and on screen for alerts to happen. Perhaps we are missing something, but I have the same issue with alarm settings.

Zachbrady7

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
I love the grill, and want to love the WiFire but it seems to be functionally worthless as a notification system. I have super strong WiFi to the grill, can connect and see the status, BUT, it basically doesn't alarm thru the app.

I was smoking and then reverse searing two Tri-Tips and some chicken. I used the probe and when I plugged it in I chose "yes, set an alarm". I set the alarm temp to 125F and expected to get a notification, nope! I happened to check the app temp was still low, closed the app and re-connected to see that the temp was 135F A#!! I pulled the meat and did the reverse sear, the meat still came out great but I am super disappointed in the grill.

As an insult, I got a push notification this morning! "Grill Fired up!" , WTF, the grill was unplugged last night.

I've no idea of the data flow for WiFire but I will be calling in to service, this performance is just sad.
Did you ever get this figured out? Bought an Ironwood last week and am having the exact same issue with the notifications. Super frustrating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RemE

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
Did you ever get this figured out? Bought an Ironwood last week and am having the exact same issue with the notifications. Super frustrating.
Nope, as far as I'm concerned, Trager's WiFire is total crap in its current state, can't trust that you will be push notified for anything important. I hope this changes some day for such an expensive product.

Slgoss

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
Nope, as far as I'm concerned, Trager's WiFire is total crap in its current state, can't trust that you will be push notified for anything important. I hope this changes some day for such an expensive product.
I received an update last night from the App Store. Hopefully it fixes some issues

Seed

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
Same feeling here. It's just a thermometer. Piece of crap....

Beaser

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
Apparently version 1.3.6 has been available since 4 Sept and by reading the reviews since then, I think I'll wait a bit longer to update.

Last edited: