Which pellets for a Brisket?

GrillDad

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
I will be doing my first Brisket later this week. Which pellets should I use between Hickory or Mesquite (these are the 2 I have)?

What are your favorite pellets for a brisket (of all of them)?
( i will be doing burnt ends as well)

GD

Gotta go with the all time fav...Mesquite...but of course it is a matter of taste! Burnt ends do well with fruity pellets...apple, maple or blends thereof. Try them all! One day at a time! lol

I like your style dude.
Gotta go with the all time fav...Mesquite...but of course it is a matter of taste! Burnt ends do well with fruity pellets...apple, maple or blends thereof. Try them all! One day at a time! lol
I like your style. 1 day at a time. I was leaning toward Mesquite actually.

As for fruity pellets, I have a seasoned log of Mulberry wood. Is there any way to process hardwood into pellet sized pieces for use in the traeger? Im thinking bandsaw then a tablesaw jig...

I use apple on everything.

I've used Texas Beef, Hickory, Signature Blend, all great. Haven't tried Mesquite so that's up for my next brisket.

I will be doing my first Brisket later this week. Which pellets should I use between Hickory or Mesquite (these are the 2 I have)?

What are your favorite pellets for a brisket (of all of them)?
( i will be doing burnt ends as well)

GD
I recommend Hickory the Mesquite can create a bitter taste.

Don't try to process your own hardwood into pellet sized pieces! Use a different smoker for those chunks/chips

Don't try to process your own hardwood into pellet sized pieces! Use a different smoker for those chunks/chips
Surprisingly, Traeger actually had a pellet making tool for sale for folks to roll their own.

Surprisingly, Traeger actually had a pellet making tool for sale for folks to roll their own.
Turns out that was an April Fools joke by them. Pellet making machines at the smallest scale cost a thousand bucks. The pellet creation process is a huge industrial endeavor (my recent investigation has uncovered).

Turns out that was an April Fools joke by them. Pellet making machines at the smallest scale cost a thousand bucks. The pellet creation process is a huge industrial endeavor (my recent investigation has uncovered).
Ha! Fooled me! I thought at the time, who would ever want to do this? and didn't give it another thought.

Back