Traeger has really dropped the ball on this.....

Bruce N

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
I have to say that Traeger has turned one of their biggest supporters against them now. I loved my first grill, purchased from QVC 2 years ago, it could do no wrong. My cooks for friends and people were getting larger, and I decided to up my grill and go to a Pro 780. Within 2 days of purchase, I lost my own custom cooks, because of a firmware change. My first big cook was a prime rib roast. Noticed right off the bat no smoke. Now I went into this knowing it had no smoke setting, or super smoke. But I figured I will set a lower temp. the same way the old grill would use on the smoke setting. No real smoke at a sustained level, just a little at first. The prime rib came out good, but almost no smoke taste. Next came a pulled pork. I left it at a low temp again for 2hrs. not a lot of smoke from the grill. By the way, this is one of my custom cooks I lost. Once again, the shoulder came out perfect except for almost no smoke in it at all, and the friends I shared it with, noticed right away. I made a few smaller things and it tastes like I just put it into a regular oven. This past weekend I did a cook for some friends. Smoked deviled eggs, and baby backs. The deviled eggs were on of my friends favorites, I have made them many times on my old grill. The color of the eggs was not even close to what they looked like before. There was NO SMOKE flavor on them at all. Now the ribs. I did the 3-2-1 cook. 3hrs. at 180 NO SMOKE. These things had NO smoke ring at all, and my friends asked me if I even put them into the smoker, they thought I cooked them in a regular oven with rub and sauce. I have lost two accounts so far because they didn't like what I cooked. They pay me for the cooks. I ended up giving them back their cash. Now I am getting a " CLEAN GREASE TRAP" message on the display. I have tried 10 times to clear it, and it will not go away. Even went into DEMO mode which resets the grill, and no luck. still there. I sunk a grand into this thing, and all I have is a WIFI outdoor oven...

Afternoon Bruce. I couldn't agree more. For a grand one would expect the Super Smoke setting. I had to order a smoke chamber off of Amazon, fill it with pellets, light and put it in the grill to even get a hint of smoke. I'm ready to rid myself of this model and upgrade $$$ to a model that has the smoke mode on it. How this can be called a Pro model is beyond my comprehension!!

Spoke to a phone tech, had no idea what to say to me about the grease trap issue, except that maybe if I remove the grill from the app, and remove the app and reinstall it might work.... When I told him I made the mistake of my life buying an oven on this model, not the smoker I had before, he said he was going to file a customer complaint on my behalf. This was 2 days ago. Let's even see if a real Traeger rep gets back to me.

Open 365 days a year. I talked to them today.

For further assistance, please visit https://www.traegergrills.com/support. There you can find FAQs, order tracking, self-service options and answer to most of your Traeger Grills questions. If you’re not able to find your answers online, our experienced Traeger Techs are available 365 days a year at 800-TRAEGER (800-872-3437) 7 AM to 8 PM MST and @traegersupport on Twitter.

Open 365 days a year. I talked to them today.

For further assistance, please visit https://www.traegergrills.com/support. There you can find FAQs, order tracking, self-service options and answer to most of your Traeger Grills questions. If you’re not able to find your answers online, our experienced Traeger Techs are available 365 days a year at 800-TRAEGER (800-872-3437) 7 AM to 8 PM MST and @traegersupport on Twitter.
Never got a call back. No problem, I will call on Monday. They have been good to work with in the past.

Never got a call back. No problem, I will call on Monday. They have been good to work with in the past.
Hi Bruce, on Traeger's website they have this....
"Traeger Wood Pellet Grills produce a superior thin blue smoke that provides a cleaner, smoker flavor. Often, the smoke is so thin it only appears as heat waves coming off the grill. However, it is there. You will be able to see the smoke rings on your meat and taste the difference"
I noticed this a lot when I changed from a Pro22 to a Pro575. The smoke was as they said and it did not effect any of my meat, maybe there is another problem you are not seeing that is causing the lack of smoke ring, just a thought.

Latest Discussions

Back