Temp Difference

Smokin Thighs

Reaction score
Grill
Silverton 810
Hey All. New to Treager and excited to get started.
I bought a Silverton 810 at Costco after a lot of research. up here in Wine Country we don’t ever go below 45 degrees so I figured the added insulation of the Timberline wasn’t needed. On my initial seasoning I notice my ambient prob I put in the grill is different from my temp on the grill by about 10-15 degrees. Is this normal?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 136
YES, search half this whole site and you'll find everyone's built in RTD is off as much as 25° in either direction.

You will NEED that Ambient probe at all times... but of course the REAL temp you need is your meat IT (internal temp) and for that you also need a good 3rd party temp probe, don't rely on Traeger for that either.

I heard Treager just purchased Meater temp probes. I wonder if getting one now before any changes is better?

I heard Treager just purchased Meater temp probes. I wonder if getting one now before any changes is better?
The Meater's are very expensive IMHO. I have the InkBird IBBQ-4, and when it's on sale on Amazon, it's about $50-$60 and that gives you four (4) probes. I have two (2) sets, so I can monitor lots of yummy stuff :)

Many others here love the Fireboard, but I couldn't justify the price point, though I wouldn't turn one down if it was a gift ;)

Welcome and Good Luck!

The Meater's are very expensive IMHO. I have the InkBird IBBQ-4, and when it's on sale on Amazon, it's about $50-$60 and that gives you four (4) probes. I have two (2) sets, so I can monitor lots of yummy stuff :)

Many others here love the Fireboard, but I couldn't justify the price point, though I wouldn't turn one down if it was a gift ;)

Welcome and Good Luck!
I too own 2 Inkbirds with 4 probes (8 total). Both bought at half off. So a 2 for 1 deal here. I usually use 2 or 3 probes inside the grill for the grill temp. My left side is usually 20-30deg hotter than the rest of the grill. My T grill temp probe is totally useless. A piece of junk. There’s nothing wrong with the InkBird. Welcome to the group.

A thermoworks smoke is a great 2 probe thermometer with a remote.

Smoke x2 and x4 have long range remote if you need that.

YES, search half this whole site and you'll find everyone's built in RTD is off as much as 25° in either direction.

You will NEED that Ambient probe at all times... but of course the REAL temp you need is your meat IT (internal temp) and for that you also need a good 3rd party temp probe, don't rely on Traeger for that either.
My RTD is low by 30 degrees

Mine varies depending on cook temps. If I'm under 250 or mine is only 5 degrees off or so, but if I get higher than that the temp swings are crazy. If I set mine at 500 degrees it has been 40-60 degrees off. I use the ink bird, but am glad to know my RTD is fairly close at low temps, because am more worried about having a brisket on at 190 only to find out its only at 150.

Adding to this thread, last Monday when I smoked my Pork Shoulder I started at 6pm and throughout the evening it was heavy winds and gust in our area. I had my grill temp set at 200. When I woke the next morning at 5 and checked everything was perfect. Grill still on and at 200+/-. InkBird grill temp showing same except for the left side. Meat temp was looking fine. So with the heavy winds through the evening my C885 held up just fine.

I use a fire board 2 w/ comp probes on my T1300. 2 ambient probes 1 left and 1 right , probes at Treager probe level… this gives you your temp gradient …

My RTD is low by 30 degrees
Good god, that's insane. How on earth does Traeger get away with this kaka quality on their temperature units? So sad, I've probably been missing out on some perfectly cooked meat! Good thing I haven't gotten sick from anything I've undercooked LOL.

Your best oven routinely fluctuates 50 degrees. This fervor over insignificant ambient temperature swings is a complete waste of mental capacity. The IT of your protein is very critical however and for that i recommend high quality temperature monitoring equipment. Get both stick and stay unit for ballpark readings and the best instant read you can afford. I’m a thermaworks guy myself but there are other more than adequate choices. Enjoy your ride.

Back