Pro 575 consistently goes over set temp

Just cooked a pork loin that was to smoke at 225 for three hours or until the probe read 145. I set the temp at 200 in the hopes of keeping it around 225 because it runs hot consistently at lower temps...it hung around 230 for about an hour and a half, then went to 240...I started turning it down so the pork wouldn't cook too fast, which it did anyway. It holds just fine at temps like 350, but is apparently incapable of lower temperatures. Traeger said over a week ago they were sending me a new fan (??) which isn't here. The temp probe inside is clean. The unit was cleaned yesterday prior to today's cook. I got this as a gift for my husband, who hates it and thinks we didn't need it in the first place. Now it's not working, and I feel like a pissed off idiot. I've been on with tech support for literally hours on a 2.5 week old machine. Any ideas? Suggestions?

First of all, you cannot ruin a pork loin... wrap it up in foil and let it sit in there for a couple hours at a 'keep warm' temp and it will knock your socks off....

Second and MOST IMPORTANT, DO NOT RELY on Traeger's probe for PIT temp!!! You got to get (if you can afford it) a 3rd party Thermometer system to take the place of Traeger's Pit reading.... then TRUST your new probes (if quality) and just adjust the grill according to THEM, not according to the built in probe...
ALSO get a good 'instant read' therm for your meat, again don't trust Traeger's meat probe either.
Sorry, but you and I both have the same rig... we basically paid for a machine that cooks with pellets...
All the other built-in electronics are pretty much gonna ruin more cooks than help...

If you cannot afford a FireBoard system of meat and pit probes, then my next advice would be get on amazon and get what you CAN afford... Maverick is a brand I've been using for 15 years... but you need an AMBIENT probe for Pit temp, between Amazon and Maverick's website you can find just about anything

Thank you. The pork loin was very good, as it turned out. Just done an hour earlier than I was ready for, but not a thing.

It's interesting to have to buy an extra thermometer system for a $700 rig...it works fine at 300+ temps, just not the lower ones. Like it's getting a larger stream of pellets than it should or something. I opened up the controller and looked at the back again (one of the tech guys had me unplug things and plug them back in at one point) and I saw one thing wasn't plugged all the way in...not sure if that matters since it's been doing it since day 1. Lots of YouTube commentary on this problem with this unit, and it sounds unfixable in a lot of cases.

Thank you. The pork loin was very good, as it turned out. Just done an hour earlier than I was ready for, but not a thing.

It's interesting to have to buy an extra thermometer system for a $700 rig...it works fine at 300+ temps, just not the lower ones. Like it's getting a larger stream of pellets than it should or something. I opened up the controller and looked at the back again (one of the tech guys had me unplug things and plug them back in at one point) and I saw one thing wasn't plugged all the way in...not sure if that matters since it's been doing it since day 1. Lots of YouTube commentary on this problem with this unit, and it sounds unfixable in a lot of cases.
Yes, temp seems to be non-linear in the lower range below 250F. This is even an issue on a $2k model. I agree, no excuse for this poor design.

Hello all, I have a 575 Pro. From the beginning, I could not get the temperature below 200-210.
I want to use 165 for beef jerky.

The following is a brief history:
1. I contacted tech support .....they were very nice. They sent me a new temp sensor.
The new probe made no difference.
2. I contacted tech support ...They sent me a new controller board.
The new controller produced 200-210 degrees just like the original.

Testing procedure:
1. Grill and probe absolutely clean.
2. When you ignite the grill, the grill temperature should be very close to the ambient temperature.
3. I plugged in the meat robe to get a second temp reading.
4. I am in California .... in the morning on this day the ambient temperature was 83 degrees.
Both the grill temp and the meat probe read 84 degrees when I ignited the grill.
This indicates the temp probes are reading the correct temp at startup.
5. The grill heated up to 200 - 210 degrees and stayed there even thought the set temperature was 165.
6. I then set the temp to 250, then 350, then 425.
The grill held all 3 temperatures plus or minus 10 - 20 degrees indicating the temperature control
system does a very good job above 200 degrees

A couple of weeks later, I decided to try different pellets. For the original tests, I was using a Traeger Premium Mix purchased at Costco. I repeated the test procedure described above.

1. This time I used Traeger Mesquite
2. Set the temperature to 165
3. Ambient temp was 86 degrees
4. The temperature settled at about 175 to 180 degrees.
Better, but not great .......
I was thinking that perhaps different types of wood burn hotter or colder?

Conclusion and observation:
The system seems to work very well above 200 degrees. Trager needs to work on the low temp issue.
I find it very interesting that the none of the 3 or 4 Traeger technicians made mention that the Pro series had a low temp problem. This is my second Traeger ...... my original Traeger model 22 did a much better job at low temperatures. Somewhat disappointing..

Hello all, I have a 575 Pro. From the beginning, I could not get the temperature below 200-210.
I want to use 165 for beef jerky.

The following is a brief history:
1. I contacted tech support .....they were very nice. They sent me a new temp sensor.
The new probe made no difference.
2. I contacted tech support ...They sent me a new controller board.
The new controller produced 200-210 degrees just like the original.

Testing procedure:
1. Grill and probe absolutely clean.
2. When you ignite the grill, the grill temperature should be very close to the ambient temperature.
3. I plugged in the meat robe to get a second temp reading.
4. I am in California .... in the morning on this day the ambient temperature was 83 degrees.
Both the grill temp and the meat probe read 84 degrees when I ignited the grill.
This indicates the temp probes are reading the correct temp at startup.
5. The grill heated up to 200 - 210 degrees and stayed there even thought the set temperature was 165.
6. I then set the temp to 250, then 350, then 425.
The grill held all 3 temperatures plus or minus 10 - 20 degrees indicating the temperature control
system does a very good job above 200 degrees

A couple of weeks later, I decided to try different pellets. For the original tests, I was using a Traeger Premium Mix purchased at Costco. I repeated the test procedure described above.

1. This time I used Traeger Mesquite
2. Set the temperature to 165
3. Ambient temp was 86 degrees
4. The temperature settled at about 175 to 180 degrees.
Better, but not great .......
I was thinking that perhaps different types of wood burn hotter or colder?

Conclusion and observation:
The system seems to work very well above 200 degrees. Trager needs to work on the low temp issue.
I find it very interesting that the none of the 3 or 4 Traeger technicians made mention that the Pro series had a low temp problem. This is my second Traeger ...... my original Traeger model 22 did a much better job at low temperatures. Somewhat disappointing..

I would agree that different woods burn at different temperatures (calorie content). The controller adjusts the pellet feed rate to maintain the set temp so "normally" wood type should not matter.

The problem is that there is a minimum feed rate that Traeger engineers determined that will still maintain a fire. If the ambient temps are warmer, it's possible that the grill can't loose enough heat thru normal losses and this "minimum fire" is still too hot.

This is why the grill can hold higher temps well, it is now in the range where adjusting the feed rate will be able to drop the temp below the set point.

I do believe that you will have better luck in cooler weather. For now, you could try cracking the hood slightly open to dump a bit of heat and probably get a stable lower temperature. Keep the grill in the shade as well, because sun on black grill can add a lot of heat too.

Hopefully that might help, I do think Traeger needs to address this as it seems to crop up here and there.

Report back!

Last edited:
I saw a tip on a Yoder grill video that suggested trying a small ball of tinfoil to prop open the door a little
Not sure if that would help of make it worse. But maybe worth a try to bring the temp down a bit?
I should have added, the discussion on the Yoder was a discussion to control a higher temp than the set temp for low cooking. They mentioned that the minimum feed rate may not be able to attain the set temperature depending on the ambient temp. They said by getting the door opened a bit you may be able to get a lower temp inside the pit without the grill trying to add more pellets. If it's a probe issue, I can see that happening

Last edited:
I always cook at a minimum 225. I have had my Pro 575 over a year and it was only a month ago I tried a lower temp to cook at. The Traeger would not stay down and the ambient temperature was cool. This is a fault with 575 and apart from me telling everyone to clean the Traeger probe after each cook the answer is with Traeger.

I would agree that different woods burn at different temperatures (calorie content). The controller adjusts the pellet feed rate to maintain the set temp so "normally" wood type should not matter.

The problem is that there is a minimum feed rate that Traeger engineers determined that will still maintain a fire. If the ambient temps are warmer, it's possible that the grill can't loose enough heat thru normal losses and this "minimum fire" is still too hot.

This is why the grill can hold higher temps well, it is now in the range where adjusting the feed rate will be able to drop the temp below the set point.

I do believe that you will have better luck in cooler weather. For now, you could try cracking the hood slightly open to dump a bit of heat and probably get a stable lower temperature. Keep the grill in the shade as well, because sun on black grill can add a lot of heat too.

Hopefully that might help, I do think Traeger needs to address this as it seems to crop up here and there.

Report back!
Thank you for your response.....My previous Traeger had a P-setting that allowed you to moderate the auger to your needs. Depending on the ambient temperature, this worked fairly well, but the fire did go out at times.

Don't get me wrong ......I love my Traeger. My neighbors tend to call when they smell smoke ...they love my baby back ribs.

I have found a solution that makes the Traeger even more versatile It is called a smoke box. You can find them at many locations. I have attached a picture. Using this device and Traeger pellets, you can cold smoke anything up to about 5 hours using your Traeger. You can fire up your Traeger at any time to complete the smoking process. This will work well with jerky, Nova Lox, and many other projects that require cooler temperatures. The Traeger pellets smolder at a consistent rate providing more than adequate smoke.

I hope this helps ...... I think it is a quick, easy, an inexpensive solution. I am quite sure the Traeger will manage 165 degrees in cooler weather. The smoke box sells for $11 - $13 on line.

P.S. I noticed a number of less than complimentary comments about tech support. I found them to be very personable and helpful.

Attachments

• smoke.JPG
    smoke.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 14
Yup, smoke tubes are great units, I went a bit higher tech and added a cold smoke generator, posted in mods thread. Cold smoked salmon is in my sites soon.

Support is generally pretty good in my experience as well.

Thank you for your response.....My previous Traeger had a P-setting that allowed you to moderate the auger to your needs. Depending on the ambient temperature, this worked fairly well, but the fire did go out at times.

Don't get me wrong ......I love my Traeger. My neighbors tend to call when they smell smoke ...they love my baby back ribs.

I have found a solution that makes the Traeger even more versatile It is called a smoke box. You can find them at many locations. I have attached a picture. Using this device and Traeger pellets, you can cold smoke anything up to about 5 hours using your Traeger. You can fire up your Traeger at any time to complete the smoking process. This will work well with jerky, Nova Lox, and many other projects that require cooler temperatures. The Traeger pellets smolder at a consistent rate providing more than adequate smoke.

I hope this helps ...... I think it is a quick, easy, an inexpensive solution. I am quite sure the Traeger will manage 165 degrees in cooler weather. The smoke box sells for $11 - $13 on line.

P.S. I noticed a number of less than complimentary comments about tech support. I found them to be very personable and helpful.

Ok, last test complete:
This morning the ambient temperature is 55 degrees. I set the desired temperature to 165 degrees.
My 575 held the temperature @ 160-175......not bad. As stated previously, the auger has a minimum speed that prevents the fire from going out. On warm days, there is very little heat loss, and the lowest temperature tends to hold about 200 degrees. On cooler days like today, the lowest temperature tends to hold at the desired 165 setting.

Back