Preparing To Purchase First Treager

Jiffster

Reaction score
Grill
TBD
Hey Folks,
I'm preparing to purchase my first Traeger. I've been using a Pit Barrel Cooker for years with good results. Also a long-time Weber gas grill owner.
Nothing but great things to say about them both.

That being said, I'm looking to take my cooks to the next level and I'm learning that Traeger is the way to go and I'm looking to replace them both with a single Traeger.

So far, The Timberline 850 has my full attention. However, I'm seeing both the new and older models for sale. The new model is way out of my price range but I like the features the Timberline offers over some of the other models - including the older models.

Would you suggest that I try to purchase the older model instead of a different model (Ironwood, etc)?

I think the size is right as I don't usually (if ever) do those large cooks. Typically it's 3 slabs of ribs, or a brisket. Would be nice to be able to do a turkey and perhaps multiple items at same time for those special occasions.

Since I'm planning to replace the Weber with this, I also want to be able to cook the usual grill stuff (hamburgers, steaks, hot dogs, etc).

Appreciate any advice you can offer.

P.S. There's a Traeger road show at Costco right now but no stainless versions.

I just ordered a Timberline 850 this past weekend. I don't even have the grill yet, it's currently on a truck on its way from Ohio to Texas. I'm obsessed with looking at the status updates from the shipping company. To say that I'm excited would be a vast understatement. I've been cooking on a Big Green Egg for the last decade and decided it was time to try something different.

Last edited:
I just ordered a Timberline 850 this past weekend. I don't even have the grill yet, it's currently on a truck on its way from Ohio to Texas. I'm obsessed with looking at the status updates from the shipping company. To say that I'm excited would be a vast understatement. I've been cooking on a Big Green Egg for the last decade and decided it was time to try something different.
I can imagine! Exciting!

You will hear different advice from various people here, but one thing I will suggest is not get rid of of your gas grill. While you can certainly do steaks and hamburgers on a Traeger, the gas grill is much better for this. What Traegers do well is the low and slow cooking of large cuts, such as briskets, ribs and butts.

Secondly, if you are coming from a Pit Barrel cooker, you are not going to get the smoke flavor you are used to in a Traeger. There are some workarounds for this, but you have to implement them.

I will suggest is not get rid of of your gas grill. While you can certainly do steaks and hamburgers on a Traeger, the gas grill is much better for this. What Traegers do well is the low and slow cooking of large cuts, such as briskets, ribs and butts.
Agreed. You'll regret getting rid of the gas grill. Having both is a great combo.

I love the Timberline's stoutness and really heavy grates, but the drip pan system caused me to go with the Ironwood 885.

I started out with a Traeger Jr. 10 years ago, then moved up to a Century 22 before buying my Ironwood 885. I use both of them along with a gas grill to do searing with GrillGrates.

I have to chime in here re: the gas grill. My original plan was to sell the Weber to help fund my Traeger purchase; however, my daughter gave me a Traeger Pro 780 for Christmas. Since I had zero dollars out-of-pocket I decided to keep the Weber, and glad I did.

Heck, I've used it two times this week alone and have since bought a Weber charcoal kettle and Blackstone flattop.

There isn't such thing as, "one grill does everything". Each grill has a purpose and excels in its own right!

I have a gas grill, 2 Traegers, small Weber kettle, and an offset, and a Blackstone griddle.IMO keep the gasser, it’s nice for quick cooks.

Hey Folks,
I'm preparing to purchase my first Traeger. I've been using a Pit Barrel Cooker for years with good results. Also a long-time Weber gas grill owner.

That being said, I'm looking to take my cooks to the next level and I'm learning that Traeger is the way to go and I'm looking to replace them both with a single Traeger.

So far, The Timberline 850 has my full attention. However, I'm seeing both the new and older models for sale. The new model is way out of my price range but I like the features the Timberline offers over some of the other models - including the older models.

Would you suggest that I try to purchase the older model instead of a different model (Ironwood, etc)?

I think the size is right as I don't usually (if ever) do those large cooks. Typically it's 3 slabs of ribs, or a brisket. Would be nice to be able to do a turkey and perhaps multiple items at same time for those special occasions.

Since I'm planning to replace the Weber with this, I also want to be able to cook the usual grill stuff (hamburgers, steaks, hot dogs, etc).

Another piece of advice - search through this forum for people talking about the Costco exclusive models - Silverton, Century, etc. Lots of complaints. The good thing is that Costco stands behind pretty much everything they sell and you can return it if you have a problem. IMO it's worth buying something that's not an exclusive model for any one retailer.

I have to chime in here re: the gas grill. My original plan was to sell the Weber to help fund my Traeger purchase; however, my daughter gave me a Traeger Pro 780 for Christmas. Since I had zero dollars out-of-pocket I decided to keep the Weber, and glad I did.

Heck, I've used it two times this week alone and have since bought a Weber charcoal kettle and Blackstone flattop.

There isn't such thing as, "one grill does everything". Each grill has a purpose and excels in its own right!
While I agree with the sentiments here I will say the ceramic grills are pretty darn good at everything. Not necessarily the best at anything but real solid at everything. I love them all for what they offer. Heck, the Weber kettle is pretty good at everything too. Just hard to cook four racks of ribs at once. 😁

Hey Folks,

Consider a Recteq 590 as the RT is better built and has a more accurate PID controller. Recteq used 304 stainless whereas the Traegers start to rust due to the materials used.
Recteq also has a ceramic igniter. Do not get rid of your Weber kettle. I have an BGE XL and I use it it reverse sear. You cannot get the same sear on a pellet grill.

Hey Folks,

I had a verticle electric smoker and weber gas grill. Bordered the Costco Silverton 810.

#1 you will need an external monitor for Traeger internal temp. Traeger accepts a 20 to 30 degree offset. #2 you won't get the flavor out of a pellet grill you got from the off set, or I got from my verticle electric smoker.
#3, I have decided to keep the weber gas grill for anything requiring direct cooking. #4 Traeger has a great publicity team. But a mediocre product.

Hey Folks,

If I were you, I’d seriously consider smother manufacturer. Traegers aren’t the top of the line grills they used to be. Frequent problems are paint peeling and poor temp control.
Im in my second Traeger. It’ll be my last.

Back