Jamaican Jerk Smoke

Hogan

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 22 (factory cover, welder's blanket for winter cooks), Weber Genesis, lots of temp probes and various other gizmos, thingamajigs, and a beer cooler.
Traditionally, Jamaican Jerk cooking is done over pimento wood, though I'm not aware of any Pimento Pellets available on the market. One alternative (for those using charcoal) is to add allspice berries to the wood. Which begs the question: has anyone tried adding a mix of allspice berries to the pellets? Would that work, or just gum up the auger and toast the burner? Open for ideas.

I would be worried about them jamming up the auger. Maybe try putting them in a smoke tube? I've seen pimento wood chips but not pellets. Trying to think which flavor pellets would blend well with a smoke tube filled with allspice berries. Maybe cherry or oak?

https://www.amazon.com/Pimentowood-...01MCZ6U9Y/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 - currently unavailable but maybe you can find them somewhere other than Amazon.

Traditionally, Jamaican Jerk cooking is done over pimento wood, though I'm not aware of any Pimento Pellets available on the market. One alternative (for those using charcoal) is to add allspice berries to the wood. Which begs the question: has anyone tried adding a mix of allspice berries to the pellets? Would that work, or just gum up the auger and toast the burner? Open for ideas.
If I was inclined to try it, I would use a smoke tube and add them in there and see if you notice any difference, you could also note any residue or issues with using them in the tube and make a decision based on that as to whether adding them in the hopper was a good idea.
I would tend to think just the smoke tube

Thanks for your replies. I'll try adding the berries to alder chips in the smoke tube and see how that works. (I have zero luck getting pellets to burn in the smoke tubes.)
Will give an update once I've tried it on this great Jerk Chicken recipe I have.
Slim - whatever it was you bought, we'll need a review ASAP.:unsure:

I'll try adding the berries to alder chips in the smoke tube and see how that works. (I have zero luck getting pellets to burn in the smoke tubes.)
I have had a 5 gal bucket of mix chips and pellets for years now, just for my tubes only. You will never go back to pellets only. (include whiskey barrel chips, you will be in heaven)

I have had a 5 gal bucket of mix chips and pellets for years now, just for my tubes only. You will never go back to pellets only. (include whiskey barrel chips, you will be in heaven)
50/50 mix? (agreed on the whiskey barrel chips.)

Back