Is this normal? Blue greasy coating after initial burn in, see pics. Yes I read the FAQ thread.

no and that's the first i've heard of this. i did a little video watching and RTFM before breaking it in, never saw that suggested.

i just spoke with the nicest gal at Traeger CS. i sent the pics, she entered all the info, shared with others, and they are replacing it with a new unit. they're on backorder and they have two shipments coming in next week. i'll get a grill from one of those orders in a week or so after that.

really, i couldn't be happier with them and how i was treated. they'll be getting a good feedback score from me on their CS.

Did they have any explanation as to why this was happening?

I think you will find it is common to wipe down the inside with oil before you initial burn. In the case of my Masterbuilt they suggest a pre seasoning of 250F for 1 hour then 400 for 30 mins.Then when cooled do a wipe down with a light coat of cooking oil (Canola) and heat at 350F for 30 mins.
When I had my Traeger 575 I wiped all the inside with Canola and burnt it in at a temp I have forgotten

doing the cool down now. this f-ing sucks.

sure hope ABT comes through. they have all the pics as well.
Damn, I was hoping pellets would take care of it. There has to be excessive oils or chemicals somewhere in the grill. Possibly under the insulation around the firepot or in the auger tube. For safties sake probably best to return or exchange it.

no and that's the first i've heard of this. i did a little video watching and RTFM before breaking it in, never saw that suggested.

i just spoke with the nicest gal at Traeger CS. i sent the pics, she entered all the info, shared with others, and they are replacing it with a new unit. they're on backorder and they have two shipments coming in next week. i'll get a grill from one of those orders in a week or so after that.

really, i couldn't be happier with them and how i was treated. they'll be getting a good feedback score from me on their CS.
why didn't you go back to ABT?? you won't see your new grill for a month from Traeger

why didn't you go back to ABT?? you won't see your new grill for a month from Traeger
ABT wasn't quick to want to accept it back, they were just going through Traeger after their "techs" were stumped. I wish they would have been more accepting to it, but they weren't and once i started the process with Traeger, it's just easier to keep going with them on the exchange.

It will probably be at least 3 weeks, probably a month as you say. but it's not like i don't have another grill and smoker to use in the meantime. and part of me doesn't want another one from ABT, seeing as they sold me this one.

i'm not bitter on ABT or Traeger here, shit happens and it's getting fixed. so i'm good.

they're a couple weeks early i guess, it's being delivered monday. i could have had it delivered last week but i was neighborhood shopping in florida. :)

Did they have any explanation as to why this was happening?
honestly no, they were stumped too. i think that's why the exchange happened in one phone call, as i emailed them the pics. it wasn't a long call.

okay, all set up, primed and connected to wifi. heading to 225f for first 20 minute session.

i have to say, it smells a lot better this time than the other one did a couple weeks ago.

ArYpASU.jpg

eXFr6EN.jpg

same goo, different grill. i sure wish i knew what the heck this is.

Here's one of my 1st smokes on my Traeger

20200924_192915.jpg

20201011_112017.jpg

And now:

20210403_152233.jpg

ArYpASU.jpg

eXFr6EN.jpg

same goo, different grill. i sure wish i knew what the heck this is.
The "dust" all over is ash. The firepot is pumped with air when running, the majority of ash remains below but some settles in the top half as well. Just let it run a couple of hours at 250F - 350F to heat cure everything.

admittedly, the second one is no where near as bad as the first one was.

i spoke with CS, they advised to do the same thing you guys said with the second one and do a bit of an extended burn in to be sure it's all good to go. some of the white/blue is normal.

thanks again for all your posts and help, it is appreciated.

Back