I cannot connect via Wifire. I have tried everything already. Now what?

Hi -

Thanks for the information, but my phone isn't saving the grill's network. So the option of "forgetting" that network isn't available. The problem I'm having is clearly rooted in the software on the Traeger controller....

Hi -

Thanks for the information, but my phone isn't saving the grill's network. So the option of "forgetting" that network isn't available. The problem I'm having is clearly rooted in the software on the Traeger controller....
Have you tried resetting the grill to factory default then retried pairing?

Yes. I just got off the phone with Traeger (again). I told them that I wanted a new controller. Before they'll send one, "Ashley" wants to try one more thing, which is to reset the UUID for my grill on their server. This will take about 24 hours, and she'll email me when it's complete. This resolution sounds plausible, as the pairing fails when the grill is "checking" the connection to my home network. The message on the App when it fails is "Grill couldn't get the time from the internet in a reasonable time."

BTW, the Firmware on my grill is current - 02.02.01. And the config is 09.005.

Last edited:
Yes. I just got off the phone with Traeger (again). I told them that I wanted a new controller. Before they'll send one, "Ashley" wants to try one more thing, which is to reset the UUID for my grill on their server. This will take about 24 hours, and she'll email me when it's complete. This resolution sounds plausible, as the pairing fails when the grill is "checking" the connection to my home network. The message on the App when it fails is "Grill couldn't get the time from the internet in a reasonable time."

BTW, the Firmware on my grill is current - 02.02.01. And the config is 09.005.
Interesting. I wonder how they can connect to the grill if it isn't connected to the internet? Regardless, I hope they can resolve it for you. It's completely frustrating when this tech doesn't work the way it's supposed to, considering how expensive it is to go from the standard grill to the wireless version (Mine was a $200 upgrade). Mine didn't work correctly either and tech support didn't help. Fortunately, I was able to resolve it on my own, but your issue seems to be a bit more complex.

They won't be connecting to my grill, they're going to change the UUID data on their server. And then I should be able to complete the pairing process. I've seen other posts on here mentioning that the UUID data on their server for a particular grill wasn't even close to what it should have been. I'll bet that a lot of grill owners on here are having connection problems for this same reason. Sad that all of us are spending so much time and energy identifying a problem that they already know exists. They should be correcting the UUID data for ALL grills in their database, not just doing it when someone calls them.

They won't be connecting to my grill, they're going to change the UUID data on their server. And then I should be able to complete the pairing process. I've seen other posts on here mentioning that the UUID data on their server for a particular grill wasn't even close to what it should have been. I'll bet that a lot of grill owners on here are having connection problems for this same reason. Sad that all of us are spending so much time and energy identifying a problem that they already know exists. They should be correcting the UUID data for ALL grills in their database, not just doing it when someone calls them.
Ah, now that makes sense. I hope it works for you. I'd be super frustrated if I couldn't use the tech I paid for as well.

I am in the same boat. Just bought a new Ironwood 885 and could not get it to connect to my Wifi. My Firmware was 01.01.05 so no longer support by the Traeger app. And to top it off Traeger Europe has no stock of new controllers so I had to send my controller away to Denmark to be updated. Might get my first cook in a couple of weeks.

This "no longer supported" "outdated firmware" crap from Traeger sucks... they didn't think this one thru very well at all.

This "no longer supported" "outdated firmware" crap from Traeger sucks... they didn't think this one thru very well at all.
They need to look at adding a USB port to the grills. They could use that to update via software available via email or online. The addition of the port is probably a cost factor, but what does the replaced controller cost and the support required to fix an issue.
Take that one step further and utilize the functionality if the USB port to load recipes onto that could be accessed from the USB right from the grill or from the app. Bradley has used a USB with one of their smokers and recipe functions.

They need to look at adding a USB port to the grills. They could use that to update via software available via email or online. The addition of the port is probably a cost factor, but what does the replaced controller cost and the support required to fix an issue.
Take that one step further and utilize the functionality if the USB port to load recipes onto that could be accessed from the USB right from the grill or from the app. Bradley has used a USB with one of their smokers and recipe functions.
I agree! As I continue trying to solve the pairing problem, it now appears to be caused by having a router that is dual band. My iPhone 11 connects to my router at 5ghz, and I can’t force it to the 2.4ghz band (both speeds share the same SSID on the Netgear Nighthawk mesh router). I don’t understand why the pairing design relies on your phone and smoker to connect at 2.4ghz!!!! The smoker software should just connect to my router!

I agree! As I continue trying to solve the pairing problem, it now appears to be caused by having a router that is dual band. My iPhone 11 connects to my router at 5ghz, and I can’t force it to the 2.4ghz band (both speeds share the same SSID on the Netgear Nighthawk mesh router). I don’t understand why the pairing design relies on your phone and smoker to connect at 2.4ghz!!!! The smoker software should just connect directly to my router! I’m thinking that using another cheap 2.4ghz router ( just while pairing), will get me past the initial setup. And then I’ll reconnect the Nighthawk router and all should be well again in Smokerville.

I cannot connect to my grill. Anyone else having this issue? I am on hold with Treager right now. When I called, it says to put the grill in standby mode for 24 hours. But I have no idea what standby mode is. So...I am call #23. Talk about frustrating. I cannot even wait for a call back since I am calling from Germany. Ugh.

Really Treager? WTF?
Yes, I have this problem constantly with my Ironwood 650. I believe that the WiFi components in this model are just not manufactured up to the task that Traeger’s software engineers planed for. It’s enough to make me want my old Weber gas grill back!

Yes, I have this problem constantly with my Ironwood 650. I believe that the WiFi components in this model are just not manufactured up to the task that Traeger’s software engineers planed for. It’s enough to make me want my old Weber gas grill back!
Right!?

Last December I needed to do these things to get my 885 to work. Have not had any issues since. Also facing the controller to the extender made a difference.

1) on wifi info page held ignite button down to start over
2) Used "WiFi signal" app to determine my extender had to be moved.
3) Dual band extender that is running only 2.4
4) iPhone - turned off ask to join networks. This stopped "Traeger Network issue"
5) iPhone - selected extended network ie: XXX_EXT
6) Used add grill to reinstall

I hope this helps.

GREAT IDEA

Latest Discussions

Back