I cannot connect via Wifire. I have tried everything already. Now what?

As @MidwestSmoker indicates, some of the newer routers want you to use the same SSID for both 2.4 and 5 gHz bands. That sounds good in that your devices will always connect to the faster band if capable of doing so. However, when you are setting up devices that are 2.4 gHz only, they usually need to connect to your cell phone using the 2.4 gHz network or Bluetooth. If your cell phone is connected to 5 gHz, the setup process will fail. This, is not specifically related to Traeger. The same process applied to my LG appliances as well and other devices. If you use the same SSID for both WiFi bands, you have no way of reliably connecting your cell phone to the 2.4 gHz network. Thus, use different SSIDs. You can use the same password for both SSIDs.

If your Traeger is connected to your cell phone, but never connected to your router, you might need to do a hard reset on your Traeger controller and go through the entire pairing process again.

I have not done a hard reset, but here are the instructions:
  1. On the grill’s controller, select Menu.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Choose About Grill.
  4. Press and hold the Ignite button until you see the Traeger logo. It should be about 5-10 seconds.

This is just a suggestion. Try giving 2.4 and 5 GHz networks different names. As others have said, the initial connection is sometimes finicky, but once done it will stay connected.
They come up on my phone with different names.

As @MidwestSmoker indicates, some of the newer routers want you to use the same SSID for both 2.4 and 5 gHz bands. That sounds good in that your devices will always connect to the faster band if capable of doing so. However, when you are setting up devices that are 2.4 gHz only, they usually need to connect to your cell phone using the 2.4 gHz network or Bluetooth. If your cell phone is connected to 5 gHz, the setup process will fail. This, is not specifically related to Traeger. The same process applied to my LG appliances as well and other devices. If you use the same SSID for both WiFi bands, you have no way of reliably connecting your cell phone to the 2.4 gHz network. Thus, use different SSIDs. You can use the same password for both SSIDs.

If your Traeger is connected to your cell phone, but never connected to your router, you might need to do a hard reset on your Traeger controller and go through the entire pairing process again.

I have not done a hard reset, but here are the instructions:
  1. On the grill’s controller, select Menu.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Choose About Grill.
  4. Press and hold the Ignite button until you see the Traeger logo. It should be about 5-10 seconds.
That is exactly the problem and you are correct......BUT the hard reset procedure DOES NOT WORK! It appeared to work once and I thought I got it! But I was standing there with my phone and I think it hooked right back up to my phone! I've tried the hard reset many times and it just won't work. I'm not sure that particular button hasn't malfunctioned. I've tried customer service. Apparently they are short handed, by the time my turn comes, I've had to leave and take care of other things. They need smarter software! Everything else I've ever connected to wifi was a lot easier than this is.

I am sorry you are having so much difficulty. The procedure worked the first time for me. I did not even have to do a reset.

Most of the time I do not even open my Traeger app. The only thing that it does for me is alert me if the pellet hopper gets low. I monitor my grill temp and internal temp using a third party remote thermometer, so I wouldn't really care if my Traeger failed to connect to my router. I do not trust the Traeger RTD thermocouple or the internal meat probe. To me, that is a far bigger issue that WiFi.

Go into your router, shut off 5G. Yes, I realize your networks have different names, but you need to eliminate thate chance the 5G is interfering.
Restart your phone and put it in airplane mode, and then turn Wi-Fi on only. Check to ensure you are hooked up to the 2.4G network. Restart grill and star the pairing process again from the app.

Last edited:
Go into your router, shut off 5G. Yes, I realize your networks have different names, but you need to eliminate thate chance the 5G is interfering.
Restart your phone and put it in airplane mode, and then turn Wi-Fi on only. Check to ensure you are hooked up to the 2.4G network. Restart grill and star the pairing process again from the app.
I was on the phone with CS today for about 3 hours with no luck. We tried everything you said EXCEPT putting the phone into airplane mode. I even rolled the grill into the house within 6 ft of the router. No joy! I had to be somewhere and she was out of ideas so we just quit. She claimed it was my router. I said if the other 10 things that are wifi in my house all hook up, and it is only your grill that doesn't, how can you blame it on my wifi router? She was stumped. We had all wifi things unplugged, the 5g turned off, we tried it all. Here is my router. It is a few years old but they still sell it so it isn't completely obsolete. I'm stumped? She wanted me to change the password to the router. I can't see where that is an option, besides, if everything else can hookup, why can't the grill????

Attachments

• tempImageUWDnWE.png
    tempImageUWDnWE.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
I was on the phone with CS today for about 3 hours with no luck. We tried everything you said EXCEPT putting the phone into airplane mode.
I am assuming that you also tried shutting off the 5 GHz network. Okay, here is my final suggestion. Do you have an older router that is lying around? If not can you borrow an older router from someone else?

If you can get an older router (older the better), setting up as a 2.4 GHz access point only (shut off the routing function) with a different name (i.e. different SSID). See if you can connect to this.

I am assuming that you also tried shutting off the 5 GHz network. Okay, here is my final suggestion. Do you have an older router that is lying around? If not can you borrow an older router from someone else?

If you can get an older router (older the better), setting up as a 2.4 GHz access point only (shut off the routing function) with a different name (i.e. different SSID). See if you can connect to this.

A 2.4 gHz router will operate within that band. However, it has to operate on specific WiFi channels. These channels are labeled 1-11 in North America. However, ONLY channels 1, 6 and 11 are non-overlapping. Furthermore, there can be interference from neighbors or other services such as Zigbee and Bluetooth that share the same frequency space as WiFI.

I would suggest that you download a WiFi channel scanner for your smartphone and find out which channels are being used by you and your neighbors. I have an Android phone and use an app called WiFiMan, but there are similar apps for iPhones.

If your router is not on one channel 1, 6, or 11, then you might need to change it. If you have nearby neighbors on the same channel as you, they may be causing interference. If you have Zigbee or Bluetooth devices near your router, they may cause interference as well. You might try turning off other WiFI, Zigbee, and Bluetooth devices other than the router, Traeger grill and your cell phone being used for setup. Just make sure you are using the 2.4 gHz WiFi band with the best channel.

A 2.4 gHz router will operate within that band. However, it has to operate on specific WiFi channels. These channels are labeled 1-11 in North America. However, ONLY channels 1, 6 and 11 are non-overlapping. Furthermore, there can be interference from neighbors or other services such as Zigbee and Bluetooth that share the same frequency space as WiFI.

I would suggest that you download a WiFi channel scanner for your smartphone and find out which channels are being used by you and your neighbors. I have an Android phone and use an app called WiFiMan, but there are similar apps for iPhones.

If your router is not on one channel 1, 6, or 11, then you might need to change it. If you have nearby neighbors on the same channel as you, they may be causing interference. If you have Zigbee or Bluetooth devices near your router, they may cause interference as well. You might try turning off other WiFI, Zigbee, and Bluetooth devices other than the router, Traeger grill and your cell phone being used for setup. Just make sure you are using the 2.4 gHz WiFi band with the best channel.
We tried all that. If I had to move my WiFi grill next to the router, how would a neighbors WiFi, over 100 feet away, come into play? I can’t mess with it for a while now. But I will try the airplane mode and check the what channel it’s using. No matter, Traeger needs to do something with their software. I can’t recommend them at this point.

I cannot connect to my grill. Anyone else having this issue? I am on hold with Treager right now. When I called, it says to put the grill in standby mode for 24 hours. But I have no idea what standby mode is. So...I am call #23. Talk about frustrating. I cannot even wait for a call back since I am calling from Germany. Ugh.

Really Treager? WTF?
I'm having same problem, got frustrated and gave up!! Will try again later🥵

I'm having same problem, got frustrated and gave up!! Will try again later🥵
Like I said above; there is an issue they need to address. I’ve never had any trouble hooking up to anything WiFi, heck, it’s almost automatic! But this grill!!!!!!!

Like I said above; there is an issue they need to address. I’ve never had any trouble hooking up to anything WiFi, heck, it’s almost automatic! But this grill!!!!!!!
If you are convinced it is Traeger's fault then we cannot help you. This website has no affiliation with Traeger, and complaining about this on multiple threads is of little use.

The purpose of this forum is for Traeger owners to exchange ideas and help each other overcome issues. If you are willing to try different things then I believe we can help you get connected. Many of us did have initial connection issues which we managed to resolve.

If you are convinced it is Traeger's fault then we cannot help you. This website has no affiliation with Traeger, and complaining about this on multiple threads is of little use.

The purpose of this forum is for Traeger owners to exchange ideas and help each other overcome issues. If you are willing to try different things then I believe we can help you get connected. Many of us did have initial connection issues which we managed to resolve.
My apologies. I am willing to try whatever. But currently have other things going on. I will get back to it. I've got a case file number and if I can't get it resolved, I will contact them again. I'm not bashing the grill just frustrated with this wifi thing. I look forward to using it

My apologies. I am willing to try whatever. But currently have other things going on. I will get back to it. I've got a case file number and if I can't get it resolved, I will contact them again. I'm not bashing the grill just frustrated with this wifi thing. I look forward to using it
Just an update - Finally got back with Traeger Customer Service today. They determined the software for my grill needs updating, and since I can't get online because of that, they are sending me a new board!

Latest Discussions

Back