Help with Beef ribs please

but the thick probes are a deal breaker for me.
Understood, we each have our threshold. I love everything about the Timberline and would have got them instead of the Pro and Ironwood. My dealbreaker was the shallow front shelf. I really like the how on the Pro and IW you can add a very deep front shelf.

Yes, the FireBoard does have a display, but I never use it. The app has much more info, you can even send a link of your cooks to anyone, and they can follow along in real time..All of your cooks, including any notes or pic can be recalled from the app or the website.
If you get the Meater or the FireBoard, you won’t need the Traeger probe.

Thank you for that info, much more compelling reason than what I saw on the Fireboard website. Or should I say you put it a way that I can understand. 🍻

Never looked at The Meater probe, but just did. That is really nice. I think I will order one tonight. Was looking at the the Meater+ or maybe even the Meater block.

Still fine with the factory probes on my Traeger, but what I love about these is there is no cable. I hate dealing with the probe wires.

Going to read some reviews on both. Really like the idea of multiple probes on the Block but would rather use my smartphone. Also the first few reviews I read on the Block were not very positive.
I generally use the Meater inserted into the side of what I'm cooking, trying to hit the sweet spot with a temp probe is always problematic (for me) if going in from the top. Plus, when the probe is inserted in the side, you can flip the meat without disturbing the probe. Another big plus for me is that the Meater probe can be washed completely without having to protect the wire connection end of other probes. I've ruined a number of the Traeger/Maverick-style probes by getting that end wet. I have the extended range Meater and would definitely recommend it. The hardest part of using the Meater was learning to trust it and not try to interpolate the readings as I would any other thermometer.

Well, I went ahead and ordered the Meater Block. Now I'm looking at the Fireboard, but think I will hold off until I feel like getting more complex.

LOL, so glad that the wife got use to it years ago. She has her moments though, especially when I take my truck out on a Saturday. I can hear her now "Paul, we don't need anymore, grills, guns, table saws, flat screens, speakers, chainsaws, motorized vehicles of any kind...You already have X <insert toy> and you can only use one at a time...blah blah blah blah blah"

Please allow me to offer my two cents...

Just buy the darn Fireboard now. You know you want it, and will eventually spend the same amount of money anyway so why not just spend it now and start enjoying it right away, as opposed to waiting to spend the same $200 later and missing out on weeks or months of enjoyable cooking?

Basically, the only difference is pending $200 now or in two months is the 2 months you're missing out on using the Firebord!

:D

What does the Fireboard do for you over a Meater or Maverick when used with the Traeger? I can see how it would be great with a kettle, barrel, or offset cooker but what's the benefit with a pellet smoker?

What does the Fireboard do for you over a Meater or Maverick when used with the Traeger? I can see how it would be great with a kettle, barrel, or offset cooker but what's the benefit with a pellet smoker?
Here's my thinking, with a kettle,barrel, or offset smoker the user controlles fuel by adding wood and or charcoal and controls air by the dampeners on the chimney and firebox respectively. With the fireboard you can add a fan for air flow but the user still has to controll fuel. And the user pretty much knows exactly what the cooker is doing at any given time.With a pellet grill the user sets temp and closes the lid, if lid is opened temp drops and grill feeds more fuel and the fan speeds up so temp goes up, sometimes uncontrollable if it is cold outside. So you shouldn't open lid unless you have to. So the user can't tell what is going on in the grill. With a Fireboard the user can set a probe or 2 for grill temp across the grate surface and put a probe in the protein or proteins being fixed allowing complete monitoring of what is happening inside the grill without opening the lid.

I opted to get the FireBoard over the Meater because the Meater probes are rather large and are wireless which I didn't like. I had a Maverick themometer but the plastic started do disintegrate so I needed to buy a good thermometer anyway. And it wasn't wifi it had its own receiver.

Last edited:
I have the Traeger 32" sold by HSC, from my daughter as a Christmas present. I've enjoyed using it, and I've had issues with no smoke & temp drops, but along the way I discovered there was a learning curve since the manual doesn't cover everything. I've learned that high heat means little smoke, overall cooking takes longer than my weber charcoal grill, and the Traeger pellets don't burn well. At least the hickory doesn't, it came with the grill, msybe bad pellets, idk, but Bear Mountain Hickory seems to burn better and are cheaper. I'm getting better, and enjoying it. My hickory burgers are the best.
No it sounds like you took it personal... 'bad cooks' didn't mean PEOPLE it meant bad cooking experiences... as in "my rib cook turned out bad" ... so
Ok, understood, my bad.

Latest Discussions

Back