Grill Grate Bath

When I began this thread, I was actually referring to cleaning the very large, standard Traeger grill grates. Somewhere along the way, things got shifted to "GrillGrates", which is something completely different. GrillGrates are a non-Traeger add-on grate, ideal for searing. A terrific product from what I understand.

All good though. We have a decent hack for cleaning the large, Traeger grill grates, and an introduction to the third-party product, "GrillGrates" for searing. It's a Two for one!
Ya, I'd seen GrillGrates mentioned around and now that I've seen them, I now wonder if they would be better at reverse sear than just the stainless steel grates alone. When I take up the temp, I'm getting decent grill marks, so is more stuff to clean worth it? Plus, how well would anodized aluminum hold up?

Regarding cleaning, I found the "Grill Grubber" to be awesome at hot grill cleaning. It uses a pumice stone impregnated Scotch Brite pad that you dip in water. Long sturdy handle. I used the pads with gloves on the deep clean.

Ya, I'd seen GrillGrates mentioned around and now that I've seen them, I now wonder if they would be better at reverse sear than just the stainless steel grates alone. When I take up the temp, I'm getting decent grill marks, so is more stuff to clean worth it? Plus, how well would anodized aluminum hold up?

Regarding cleaning, I found the "Grill Grubber" to be awesome at hot grill cleaning. It uses a pumice stone impregnated Scotch Brite pad that you dip in water. Long sturdy handle. I used the pads with gloves on the deep clean.
I just learned about GrillGrubber. I think I may give it a try. Good to hear positive things about it.

I have a Traeger Timberline 1300. Even a wash tub was inadequate for cleaning the grill grates. Then I bought one of those oval livestock tanks from Tractor Supply. I place it on a folding table, squirt some Dawn Dish Detergent in the tank and add two buckets of hot water. I can then soak all three grill grates, the fire pot cover, and the grease trap cover. Makes clean-ups a breeze! The oval tank stores behind the Shed.

That sounds like a good idea. I was just checking their website but didn't see dimensions. Which one did you buy?

That sounds like a good idea. I was just checking their website but didn't see dimensions. Which one did you buy?

Grill Billy,
I purchased the Countyline Oval Galvanized Stock Tank 2' W x 4' L x 2' H

I never heard of GrillGrates until reading this post either. Mine will be here Wednesday. :cool:

Was really looking forward to these, but I have to say I’ve been disappointed so far. They’re a pain to clean and i havent noticed much of a difference searing on them vs the regular grates. Think I’m going to return them and go back to using the propane grill for searing.

Was really looking forward to these, but I have to say I’ve been disappointed so far. They’re a pain to clean and i havent noticed much of a difference searing on them vs the regular grates. Think I’m going to return them and go back to using the propane grill for searing.

Ok we are talking about two different things here. We were referring to the grill grating that comes with a grill, not GrillGrates (Trade name) that is an accessory and gives your grill a searing capability.

As far as cleaning GrillGrates (the Searing station) get yourself a 5-gallon bucket from Home Depot or whatever is near your residence, and fill it with hot soapy water. Take the GrillGrates off your stock grill grating and soak GrillGrates in the 5 gallon bucket for 15-minutes, and whatever you have baked on will come off easily with a sponge. Easiest way to clean them!

I have always cleaned grill grates (not GrillGrates) by first soaking them in a few inches of hot soapy water in a tub like this ($5 to $7 at Home depot):
concrete-mixing-tub.jpg

Easy to pour the greasy water into a bucket from the tub, and down the drain from the bucket.

What is this item called? I’m not seeing in on the Home Depot site in Canada.

That's found in the concrete area... it for hand mixing concrete and mortar.

That could also double as a perfect place to pour different pellets into to mix your own special blend... then pour right into your hopper

GOOD IDEA STEEVO

Last edited:
Thanks, I found it. I noticed that the tarp on my grill bath is starting to wear a bit already. I think I’ll check this out!

I have always cleaned grill grates (not GrillGrates) by first soaking them in a few inches of hot soapy water in a tub like this ($5 to $7 at Home depot):

Easy to pour the greasy water into a bucket from the tub, and down the drain from the bucket.
Good call, this is cheap and a little easier to mess with than the PVC and tarp, thanks for sharing! Here's the link for others, $5.75 ;

This thread got me to thinking and I looked online for something I could soak my Ironwood 885 grate in hot soapy bath. I came across this 32"x24" SUV/Trunk cargo floor liner.

Grid Soaker1.jpeg

Fits perfect.

Grid Soaker2.jpeg

I think that bed liner is the best yet, rugged, not too deep, fully fits the grates flat. The Home Depot medium tub won't let the grate lay flat.

Great find sir!

Latest Discussions

Back