First try at smoked cheese

Mr.Fabulous

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 34
Did about 8 pounds total of cheddar, mozzarella, Colby jack & pepper Jack. (Aldi for the win! $17 for all of that. Unwrapped & split in half, and smoked for 2 hours with pecan pellets in a smoke tube.
42C165A2-298C-4D2A-8AF2-1823360DE08E.jpeg

Lost a couple blocks on the transfer to the smoker. Here is the looks after 2 hours.
4CB8CB80-B59A-4B57-AA60-EBAAD40F209A.jpeg
Some great color change, especially on the cheddar. Wrapped them in parchment for the rest in the frig. Will vacuum seal them tomorrow afternoon, & then the hard part starts. The two week wait until I can try it is going to be brutal.

Attachments

• 56E3C68B-5057-427D-BE46-5181B99CE3E9.jpeg
    56E3C68B-5057-427D-BE46-5181B99CE3E9.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 24
Looks amazing. You have a lot of cheese done
Your fridge is going to smell like a smokehouse. Last time I did mine, even my ice cubes tasted smokie from the cheese

Looks great. I remember the first cheese I smoked. I didn’t see the wait for 2 weeks part before eating. Ended up throwing it all out. Live and learn.

Why 2 weeks?
2-4 weeks is recommended. Allowing it to rest allows the smoke to mellow. If you try it right off the smoker you are more than likely not going to like it. The longer it sits the better it gets.

2-4 weeks is recommended. Allowing it to rest allows the smoke to mellow. If you try it right off the smoker you are more than likely not going to like it. The longer it sits the better it gets.
Does it absorb into the cheese better if you wait? Would this be like a resting period?

Looks amazing. You have a lot of cheese done
Your fridge is going to smell like a smokehouse. Last time I did mine, even my ice cubes tasted smokie from the cheese
Lol. I can always dump the ice cubes if that becomes a problem

Does it absorb into the cheese better if you wait? Would this be like a resting period?
I am sure some of it does to a point. Once you vacuum seal them, it has nowhere to go but in. Cheese is considered 'living' as it changes complexity as it ages

The smoke is supposed to disperse through the cheese during the wait. I would guess it is similar to a rest for big meat cuts

Lol. I can always dump the ice cubes if that becomes a problem
Lol, I used them. Added a nice smokie flavor profile to the tequila I drink. It was like having smoked ice cubes without smoking the water or cubes. Win win for me
It may be a problem if there's something in the fridge that your wife didn't want to have a smoked flavor added to 🤔

Lol, I used them. Added a nice smokie flavor profile to the tequila I drink.

Smokey Tequila? Isn't that Mezcal? You are talking my language. I love a good Casa Noble Anjeo as well as a good Mezcal.

My regular tequila is Cazadores. Mainly because it's somewhat affordable here and tastes pretty good.
I like Herradura Ultra Anejo , if I am going to drink some on ice. A very smooth aged tequila that is actually clear

My regular tequila is Cazadores. Mainly because it's somewhat affordable here and tastes pretty good.
I like Herradura Ultra Anejo , if I am going to drink some on ice. A very smooth aged tequila that is actually clear

If you are ever in Austin, I have some Casa Noble for you. It's amazing. SWMBO loves the Crystal an I enjoy all of them. No ice, no lime, no salt, no chill.

If you are ever in Austin, I have some Casa Noble for you. It's amazing. SWMBO loves the Crystal an I enjoy all of them. No ice, no lime, no salt, no chill.
It would be nice to take you up on that at some point. Thanks

Back