First cooks - LEr error

Atl_Buckeye

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Texas Elite 34
I had my first cooks this weekend on my new to me Traeger. I did a butt first. 8.5LB'er that I put it on at 225 (conditions were such that my grate probe matched the reported temp on the controller) at mid night. All was well while I drank a couple beers and "monitored" everything. All was well after an hour so made my way to bed. I set an alarm for 6:00 to check everything and assumed that the meat would be in the stall range (about 155), which it was. So, I double wrapped in foil and put it back on the grill, and back to bed I went. I rolled over again about an hour later so I checked the temps again. The grill was at like 80 degrees according to my grate probe. I went down to see what was up. The controller displayed LEr and things seemed to be shut off. I was a little bleary eyed from all the "monitoring" the night before. I turned off the grill, turned it back on to the smoke setting and waited a few minutes. Everything seemed to be starting back up as normal so I went ahead and turned it back to 225 and went to the rest room. When I came back, my back deck looked like a Cheech and Chong scene. There was more smoke pooring out of the grill then I have ever seen. I opened it and pulled the meat out and turned the grill off and unplugged it. I finished the cook in my oven and everything turned out fine.

I looked up this error and it appears when the grill is on but not registering a high enough temp for some amount of time (125deg for 10min I believe). I can't remember if I left the lid opened when I pull the meat out to wrap it or not. However, it wasn't 10 min. It was around 80 all night and no wind. The reports I have read this seems to occur when people are smoking in cold temps or really windy weather. I did get this grill used from a friend and I honestly didn't thoroughly inspect everything prior to the cook other than testing functionality and some temperature tests. Thus, I will chalk this up to something going on in the fire box. I didn't like what happened next with all the smoke and what I assume was a larger than normal fire in the fire box.

I did go a few hours later and vacuumed out the firebox (nothing really seemed out of sorts). Later in the afternoon I did a couple chickens and the grill operated as intended for the roughly 2-2.5hours I had it on for that.

Anyone else experience the LEr error or this massive smoke out?

I had my first cooks this weekend on my new to me Traeger. I did a butt first. 8.5LB'er that I put it on at 225 (conditions were such that my grate probe matched the reported temp on the controller) at mid night. All was well while I drank a couple beers and "monitored" everything. All was well after an hour so made my way to bed. I set an alarm for 6:00 to check everything and assumed that the meat would be in the stall range (about 155), which it was. So, I double wrapped in foil and put it back on the grill, and back to bed I went. I rolled over again about an hour later so I checked the temps again. The grill was at like 80 degrees according to my grate probe. I went down to see what was up. The controller displayed LEr and things seemed to be shut off. I was a little bleary eyed from all the "monitoring" the night before. I turned off the grill, turned it back on to the smoke setting and waited a few minutes. Everything seemed to be starting back up as normal so I went ahead and turned it back to 225 and went to the rest room. When I came back, my back deck looked like a Cheech and Chong scene. There was more smoke pooring out of the grill then I have ever seen. I opened it and pulled the meat out and turned the grill off and unplugged it. I finished the cook in my oven and everything turned out fine.

I looked up this error and it appears when the grill is on but not registering a high enough temp for some amount of time (125deg for 10min I believe). I can't remember if I left the lid opened when I pull the meat out to wrap it or not. However, it wasn't 10 min. It was around 80 all night and no wind. The reports I have read this seems to occur when people are smoking in cold temps or really windy weather. I did get this grill used from a friend and I honestly didn't thoroughly inspect everything prior to the cook other than testing functionality and some temperature tests. Thus, I will chalk this up to something going on in the fire box. I didn't like what happened next with all the smoke and what I assume was a larger than normal fire in the fire box.

I did go a few hours later and vacuumed out the firebox (nothing really seemed out of sorts). Later in the afternoon I did a couple chickens and the grill operated as intended for the roughly 2-2.5hours I had it on for that.

Anyone else experience the LEr error or this massive smoke out?
Which model do you have?

Back