Display temp and actual way off.

DEREK

Reaction score
Grill
BBQ400.03
I have had my Model BBQ400.03 grill for 4 years. The instant I put the dial to "smoke" with the lid up the display registers 310. After ten minutes on "smoke" with lid up it registers 370 and my manual thermometer registers 160. Ten minutes after I close the lid on "smoke" the display shows 440 and the thermometer reads 200. Then when I set the dial to 250* after ten minutes the display reads 450* and the thermometer still shows 200*. Needless to say, nothing is cooking. Fans are operating and probe is clean.

Sounds like your temp probe (RTD) needs replacing. Call Traeger service, their pricing is good with free shipping ($23) . If you've never used the warranty they might just send you one.

I have the same issue with a new Pro 575 and they are supposed to send out a new thermocoupler. I hope that resolves it.

@Walleye Hunter did the new thermocouple fix your problem? I just bought a 575 and inside temp is not what the display says. It is always lower. I tried 2 racks of ribs and a brisket only to have them all undercooked. I hope this smoker isn't a dud.

i have not yet tried a new thermocouple. I think it needs calibration. when you put direct heat to the thermocoupler it reacts as it should. it just starts at 310 degrees as soon as the unit is powered up.

But I thought the only temp probe that can be calibrated was the external food probe. I don't think you can calibrate the fixed, internal one.

@Walleye Hunter did the new thermocouple fix your problem? I just bought a 575 and inside temp is not what the display says. It is always lower. I tried 2 racks of ribs and a brisket only to have them all undercooked. I hope this smoker isn't a dud.
It just came in the mail today and it will be a couple of days before I get to it. In the meantime I splurged and bought a Fireboard WIFI thermometer and now I know exactly what is going on in there.

It just came in the mail today and it will be a couple of days before I get to it. In the meantime I splurged and bought a Fireboard WIFI thermometer and now I know exactly what is going on in there.

Ok, well let me know what happens with the replacement they sent. Hoping there is a solution.

I have a pork butt on right now running the Fireboard in parallel with the Traeger stuff. The grill temp is a steady 20 degrees off and the meat probe is 4 off right now. I have tinkered with the Fireboard and believe that it is within 1.5 degrees accurate.

Did you immerse a probe in boiling water. We unfortunately only have 2 accurate test procedures, the melting point of ice and boiling point. It has to be 32 and 212 around sea level. Altitude affects the boiling point of water by 1.8 deg F per 1000 ft (water boils @ 203 deg F in the Mile High City of Denver, the change of state ice to water remains @32 degF) so for most of us 212 deg F is close enuff ! It's not heresy to check accuracy on any thermometer , even the expensive ones.

Latest Discussions

Back