Chuck Roast Pastrami

RustyJake

⚒️ Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
This showed up on my news feeds today and I thought I would post it here as it seems like a simple way to do a pastrami without using a brisket

Chuck Roast Pastrami - Easy Pastrami Recipe:

I haven't tried this yet. I currently have a brisket and a half brining in a corned beef brine to smoke into some pastrami next week. I was going to use Meathead's recipe and then got this recipe from Thermoworks in an email
Hoping this is good because I'm committed now lol

So it's smoke till 165°, frig over night?? and then sous vide at 165??? not 190 or 200??? The meat never gets to 200?
Yes. But I treat it like a brisket, the 165 on smoke is more about bark to me. I like to get that dark crust on it like a brisket so it could run longer.
The in the fridge overnight and into the sous vide the next day. Set the sous vide to 165°F and let that go for 20-24 hours.
It will be perfectly tender. You don't need to take the meat to 200 doing it this way.
The first couple times I did the recipe I did the steaming to 200. It was okay, but it gets close to fall apart and shredding for my linking. The sous vide tenderized the meat and kept its consistency. I won't go back to steaming now. I thank you guys for getting me on the sous vide band wagon. VERY useful tool.
I guess you could wrap in foil and let it ride out until 200 in the oven or smoker. I just haven't done that.

Rusty, thanks for all the info on both pastrami and Montreal smoked meats. I have bookmarked this thread and will refer to it when I attempt these one day.

Rusty, thanks for all the info on both pastrami and Montreal smoked meats. I have bookmarked this thread and will refer to it when I attempt these one day.
Not a problem. I should be finishing my pastrami early next week. This is the first time I have done it from a store bought brisket and making corned beef first. Last time I did it was from a pre-made corned beef.
I also plan on trying the Chuck Roast recipe as well. Seems like a simple way to get some lunch meat

It will be perfectly tender. You don't need to take the meat to 200 doing it this way.
The first couple times I did the recipe I did the steaming to 200. It was okay, but it gets close to fall apart and shredding for my linking. The sous vide tenderized the meat and kept its consistency.
Awesome... makes sense to me.

I guess you could wrap in foil and let it ride out until 200 in the oven or smoker. I just haven't done that.
No, I might one day but I need to try this your way first.
You seemed to have perfected it for you, that's good enough for me. (y)

THNX again

Back