Check this out (searing related)

Would you find this type of improved searing grate useful?

• Heck yeah!

• Not so much.

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
OP
T

Traegernator

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
So what is so special about your grates @Traegernator ?
Hi Timmy,

I don't know about them being specifically "special", I just don't like my steaks slow cooked and the clean-up and maintenance of cast iron annoys me -- to each their own. What I went for was ability to hold heat that other grates cannot while being food-safe and ultra-easy to maintain. Since there is no direct heat involved and no exposed fire pot, the chances of grease fires is reduced significantly, even with the ability to hold higher heat in the grates themselves.

Basically, I want one grill that can do it all. For me, Traeger can do 9 out of 10, but steaks as good as a kettle or direct flame, no chance. And worse, there seems to be no effort to make a viable solution other than throw a cast iron pan or griddle on there--the very notion of which defeats the smokiness aspects of why I bought a Traeger in the first place. What I mean is, the Traeger cast iron griddle takes up half the surface area, takes an additional 10 minutes to heat up, and blocks air flow at the sacrific of smoke circulating around the meat.

Just trying to make it easier and better.

OP
OP
T

Traegernator

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
Stainless grate? It looks good, are you mounting it lower? My stainless Timberline grates don't do a great job on reverse sear. GrillGrates do the job, and I accept that they will never clean up like the stainless.
It's a unique alloy that I believe to be the first time ever used this way, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

The grate was mounted on the standard rack "lip" (overhang?) setting, the same for each image shown.

OP
OP
T

Traegernator

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
Great sear, but I have given up on searing on a Traeger as you go through pellets like crazy and it takes time to get to temp and then unless your Traeger is absolutely clean, it WILL catch fire and burn off some of the grease. I use the Traeger to reverse sear. Meat get a smoke bath for about 50 minutes and then I fire up the old gasser and in 10 minutes, it's at 800 degrees. 60 seconds a side and meat is ready.

View attachment 7121
Beautifully done, Sir.

Personally, I'm okay with the pellet consumption, as a good dose of propane will be consumed on a gaser as well. The trouble for me as I mentioned in a separate thread reply is time -- 50 minutes slow and low and another 10 minutes to sear a proper steak is too much time. Plus, it shouldn't take owning two grills to get the job done -- I get that it works really well for you, but how does Traeger feel about their "Traegerhood" having to go over to the "Weberhood" to finish their steaks off? It seems to me that the likes of Yoder or GMG are onto something with the exposed fire pot, but this will lead to liability, warranty issues, and grease fires much more so than indirect heat alone on the Traeger pellet grill. With safety in mind (versus exposed fire pot), I thought the answer was in the grill grates themselves. It just sucks that people need to fork over $1,000+ for the wonder-grill-that-can-do-everything (according to generalizations in Traeger marketing), but then have to purchase a separate competitor grill as well, that makes no sense to me.

Slimpicker

Ol' Timer BBQer
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575 Bronze► OKJoe's Longhorn Combo► WeberQ Gasser ►Weber kettle► UDS ► Inkbird Sous Vide
Plus, it shouldn't take owning two grills to get the job done -- I get that it works really well for you, but how does Traeger feel about their "Traegerhood" having to go over to the "Weberhood" to finish their steaks off?
Well, for most of us Traeger is not our first grill and if a long time BBQer, then you usually have multiple smokers/grills.
But as you said above, "to each his own". For me, I was never under the impression Traeger was the 'end all', cuz none of my smokers really are.

Sometimes it's up to the consumer to do their research and homework before such a purchase, sorry but that's just wise shopping.

BTW, you have never said in this whole thread what "grate" you are even talking about.

OP
OP
T

Traegernator

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
Well, for most of us Traeger is not our first grill and if a long time BBQer, then you usually have multiple smokers/grills.
But as you said above, "to each his own". For me, I was never under the impression Traeger was the 'end all', cuz none of my smokers really are.

Sometimes it's up to the consumer to do their research and homework before such a purchase, sorry but that's just wise shopping.

BTW, you have never said in this whole thread what "grate" you are even talking about.
Thanks, Slimpicker. The new "grate" was shown in the two seared steak photos, just below the steaks. It looks just like any other rod-type grilling grate, only it holds a lot higher temperature.

OP
OP
T

Traegernator

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
Hi Data_Dan,

No, not yet anyway. I made these for myself as a test. If there is a broad enough interest then I'll look at making more of them and then selling them. Maybe through Amazon or something like that? Ideally, if it works out, a pellet grill company could offer a sear-section-grate like this with every grill purchase, at least for the higher pricepoint grills. I'm hoping that I'm not alone in the frustration for a lack of real searing that is possible with a stock Traeger grill. Maybe the same for Recteq as well.
So these are not sold anywhere?

CDugan

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 34
Hi Data_Dan,

No, not yet anyway. I made these for myself as a test. If there is a broad enough interest then I'll look at making more of them and then selling them. Maybe through Amazon or something like that? Ideally, if it works out, a pellet grill company could offer a sear-section-grate like this with every grill purchase, at least for the higher pricepoint grills. I'm hoping that I'm not alone in the frustration for a lack of real searing that is possible with a stock Traeger grill. Maybe the same for Recteq as well.
What is your price point? Are you offering up a few for "testing"? :D

RemE

Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
Interested! I'm assuming that this alloy doesn't rust? I love my stainless grates for smoking but not thrilled at roasting them along with GrillGrates for searing. I'd love to have higher temp grate that I could swap in as needed.

OP
OP
T

Traegernator

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
Interested! I'm assuming that this alloy doesn't rust? I love my stainless grates for smoking but not thrilled at roasting them along with GrillGrates for searing. I'd love to have higher temp grate that I could swap in as needed.
ZERO rusting. That was one of the essential aspects that I was looking to create; no maintenance. We have a few interested parties! Let me run some numbers on what a small production run would set me back.

Last edited:

davwhite

Reaction score
Grill
Masterbuilt 1050
Hi RustyJake: not GrillGrates the brand, and zero aluminum use here either.

The trouble with the brand GrillGrates (in my amateur opinion) is that they are not the easiest things to keep clean and they block a lot more airflow than the classic rod-type grates.
My grill gates are fantastic for searing. You don't need to clean them back to new each time, best to let them build up a coating for a better result. And you don't need airflow if you are just searing. My grates run around the 450-500f when I sear.

Uncle Buck

Reaction score
Grill
Silverton 810
I am very interested. Please let me know if you decide to make these available. I would be glad to use and report my results.

I have been underwhelmed with steaks on my Traeger, and reading on this forum I see that maybe it's not the best tool for the job. I have resorted to dusting off the Weber when I cook steaks, which is disappointing after spending ta lot of money for a top-of-the-line Traeger.

Latest Discussions