Cast iron grate worth it?

TXpitMan

Media
Reaction score
Grill
22 Pro
I’ve been using the grates that came stock with my 22 pro and wondered if it’s worth the upgrade to buy the cast iron grates. I’ve not had an issue with the factory grates. They are easy to clean and I can wash them without fear of rust. Being in Texas especially this time of year I don’t get a lot of heat sucked out of the grill from air temp. If I was in a climate that stayed a lot cooler I could see the cast iron making sense for more heat retention.

If it ain't broke', why fix it?
I agree with you. A friend of mine bought the cast iron grates and he keeps telling me they are worth it. But I’ve yet to taste any difference in the food that comes off mine vs his. I think I’ll save myself the money and buy more meat lol.

I’ve been using the grates that came stock with my 22 pro and wondered if it’s worth the upgrade to buy the cast iron grates. I’ve not had an issue with the factory grates. They are easy to clean and I can wash them without fear of rust. Being in Texas especially this time of year I don’t get a lot of heat sucked out of the grill from air temp. If I was in a climate that stayed a lot cooler I could see the cast iron making sense for more heat retention.
I think it all depends on the type of cooking your are doing.
Low and slow; Stock grates work well
High heat: a heavier grate works well to achieve the Maillard reaction.
I myself, save my Traeger from high heat, and use my BBQ for searing.... and yes, with heavy grates.

Check out grill grate. They are anodized aluminum but get SUPER hot for grill Sear marks. They are also reversible to serve as a griddle.

I think it all depends on the type of cooking your are doing.
Low and slow; Stock grates work well
High heat: a heavier grate works well to achieve the Maillard reaction.
I myself, save my Traeger from high heat, and use my BBQ for searing.... and yes, with heavy grates.
I’m with you. All of my cooking on my traeger is under 300 for the most part. If I need to sear or Grill something at a high temp I use my Weber gas grill.

Back