Brisket sticking to grate

bills34

Reaction score
Grill
Texas 34
I have an old Traeger Texas that does a great job, keeps steady temps but I've ran into problems with briskets sticking to the grates and ruining the fatty side. Here's my process:

-I always get the Traeger up to temp, then spray Pam on the grate before adding the brisket (always USDA Prime).
-I set the temp to 225 for the entire cook (actual temp fluctuates between 220-250).
-I cook the briskets fat-side down, due to the heat source directly underneath.
-I typically season the whole brisket with rub (Black Ops), although I've recently wondered if I shouldn't season the fat side. Maybe I shouldn't season the side facing the heat?

I'm wondering if the brisket is just too close to the heat source. My Traeger doesn't have one of those skinny, second shelves but I thought about buying some type of smoke shelf that will bring the brisket up, away from the heat a few more inches. Good idea?

Anyway, with sticking problems, normally the response is "spray the grates with Pam" but I'm already doing that. Any suggestions from you experienced Traeger guys would sure be appreciated.

RemE

Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
I vote for raising it up if possible. I have a middle rack so my briskets are about 6-7 inches higher, and don't stick with fat side down.

StillinICT

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
Pam makes a high heat spray. Works like a charm, nothing sticks, even chicken wings. Never tried it on brisket because I cook mine in a AL pan.

davwhite

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
I think it is the direct heat that is causing the sticking. Mine has a diffuser so I get an indirect heat and slight bits of meat left on the tray.

OP
OP
B

bills34

Reaction score
Grill
Texas 34
I think it is the direct heat that is causing the sticking. Mine has a diffuser so I get an indirect heat and slight bits of meat left on the tray.
Mine has the diffuser (also the drip tray) between the firepot and the grate. Who knows. I'm going to try raising the meat up, a few inches to increase the indirectness (is that a word?) of the heat.

OP
OP
B

bills34

Reaction score
Grill
Texas 34
Pam makes a high heat spray. Works like a charm, nothing sticks, even chicken wings. Never tried it on brisket because I cook mine in a AL pan.
Interesting, never heard of that. I wonder if that's what Clark Griswold used to grease his sled?

davwhite

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
Mine has the diffuser (also the drip tray) between the firepot and the grate. Who knows. I'm going to try raising the meat up, a few inches to increase the indirectness (is that a word?) of the heat.
Now you have me tricked. The temp is right, maybe the texture of the tray is not what I have and I never get stuck. I can't think of any suggestions unless the tray is causing the prob.

OP
OP
B

bills34

Reaction score
Grill
Texas 34
Now you have me tricked. The temp is right, maybe the texture of the tray is not what I have and I never get stuck. I can't think of any suggestions unless the tray is causing the prob.
No worries! Thank you for the advice.

AJBASS60

Reaction score
Grill
TRAEGER IRONWOOD 885
1598987583340.png

Carl Martin

Reaction score
Grill
weber
I have an old Traeger Texas that does a great job, keeps steady temps but I've ran into problems with briskets sticking to the grates and ruining the fatty side. Here's my process:

-I always get the Traeger up to temp, then spray Pam on the grate before adding the brisket (always USDA Prime).
-I set the temp to 225 for the entire cook (actual temp fluctuates between 220-250).
-I cook the briskets fat-side down, due to the heat source directly underneath.
-I typically season the whole brisket with rub (Black Ops), although I've recently wondered if I shouldn't season the fat side. Maybe I shouldn't season the side facing the heat?

I'm wondering if the brisket is just too close to the heat source. My Traeger doesn't have one of those skinny, second shelves but I thought about buying some type of smoke shelf that will bring the brisket up, away from the heat a few more inches. Good idea?

Anyway, with sticking problems, normally the response is "spray the grates with Pam" but I'm already doing that. Any suggestions from you experienced Traeger guys would sure be appreciated.
Has the problem been solved? How was it solved? I am very interested!

OP
OP
B

bills34

Reaction score
Grill
Texas 34
Has the problem been solved? How was it solved? I am very interested!

I ordered the Traeger SMOKE SHELF - TEXAS/34 SERIES but haven't received it yet. It should arrive soon and I'm planning on smoking a brisket and a pork butt this weekend. I'll report back after the long weekend.

GrillMeister

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885, Century 22
I don't have that issue with this method. I also put about a gallon of water in that long foil pan and it keeps things moist till I wrap in in butcher paper during the plateau.

I also use a stainless pizza peel to remove the brisket when it's done. Kinda like a giant spatula.

brisket on traeger.jpeg

OP
OP
B

bills34

Reaction score
Grill
Texas 34
I don't have that issue with this method. I also put about a gallon of water in that long foil pan and it keeps things moist till I wrap in in butcher paper during the plateau.

I also use a stainless pizza peel to remove the brisket when it's done. Kinda like a giant spatula.

View attachment 2366
I have a pizza peel (didn't know it was called that). Regarding the water pan, what effect does that have on the bark? I haven't considered adding a water pan to the Traeger as it keeps things plenty moist w/o one. But I can see how a water pan would serve as a great heat diffuser.

RemE

Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
I think I'll remove the bottom grate, set a foil water pan on the drip pan, brisket on the middle rack. It will be interesting to see if it makes any difference. None of the video's I've watched have used any water pans.

If my SRF Brisket ever thaws out! It's been in the fridge for about 4 days already.

Slimpicker

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575 Bronze
I've used water for years in my other smokers... my Ugly Drum Smoker had a diffusing plate over the fire and water sat in the middle... the meat was a good 10" up from it but almost always right over it...

the thing is, if the water is NOT at a boil or close to it then there really is no sense...

Latest Discussions