Brined Whole Roast Chicken

Jaina

Reaction score
Grill
Bronson 20
Hi, everyone:

I found this recipe on the Traeger website and thought I would post it in case anyone was wondering about doing a whole chicken on their Traeger. The brine makes all the difference in the world!

For the brine: 1/2 cup kosher salt, 1 cup brown sugar (I used dark brown), 1 gallon water. Mix ingredients together until completely dissolved. Immerse a whole chicken in the brine. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.

For the chicken: Remove from brine, rinse, pat dry. Season all over with Traeger pork and poultry rub or your favorite rub. I used the Traeger rub. Optionally, truss the chicken to help it retain its shape.

Heat the Traeger on the Smoke setting until the fire is established - 4 to 5 minutes. Then set the temp to 225 degrees. I used Traeger Signature pellets - my favorite.

Put chicken on grate. Close cover and roast for about 2 to 3 hours until the chicken's internal temperature is 165 degrees. Replenish pellets as needed. I use the Vinsic BBQ thermometer to monitor both the food and grill temp. Available on Amazon and eBay, where it's a lot less expensive. Highly recommended.

Chicken should be a deep golden color when done. Remove from grill and let rest for about 5 minutes before carving. Temp may rise a couple of degrees, but that's OK. Suggested side dish: coleslaw. This is for a small 2-1/2 lb chicken. Increase cooking time for larger birds.

Mr.Fabulous

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 34
I’ve tried brining and love the results, you get great flavor deep into the meat. I just don’t like the rubbery skin.

I have been spatchcocking all my chickens, injecting the breast meat, rubbing, then giving them about an hour of smoke @ 225 before cranking the heat up to 375. Still get the deep flavor, but I also get the crispy skin.

Latest Discussions