Pit Boss Battery Powered Pellet Grill

MarkC18

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 22, Blackstone, Weber Genesis
I would buy anything but Traeger. Support has not been helpful. Mine explodes!

Attachments

• IMG_2639.mov
    2.9 MB
No. This was about 30 minutes after it had been running. The fan was seized up when I bought it and Traeger support had me take the bottom off the hopper und manually spin the fan. After a few tries the fan started spinning but sounds like bad bearings. The fan will intermittently stop and the temp will free fall. Support says since the fan spins I’m good.
Are you igniting the smoker with the lid closed? Thats exactly what it looks like

Everytime I've ever lit mine the lid has been closed, are they not supposed to be?
I’ve always ignited my pro 780 with the door closed too. Never had an issue. Dang that looked bad, I would take mine to the dump it did that. Good thing you didn’t open the lid at the time it exploded!

Everytime I've ever lit mine the lid has been closed, are they not supposed to be?
I think some of the older ones recommended starting with lids closed. Whatever the reason for that has been rectified in the newer models. That was a years ago thing. Don’t quote me on that though.

It depends on the model. My Bronson 20 is to be started with the lid open. On my pro 780 the lid is to be closed. You should refer to the Traeger website or your specific models manual.

No. This was about 30 minutes after it had been running. The fan was seized up when I bought it and Traeger support had me take the bottom off the hopper und manually spin the fan. After a few tries the fan started spinning but sounds like bad bearings. The fan will intermittently stop and the temp will free fall. Support says since the fan spins I’m good.

You bought it 'new'?
This is a complete joke on Traeger CS if this is their answer to a new rig with a seized fan??!!!!
You should take this to as HIGH as you can go with Traeger and demand they make this right with new parts!! Gezzz a lousy fan and they could stand by it?
Again, if your rig is NEW, this is on them!! If it's not, then you need to just buy a fan and get that fixed ASAP.

How long have you owned the rig?

Ok everyone, let’s respect the OP’s question and don’t feed the trolls

How to identify a troll, 1. Name = Disappointed. 2. 4 posts. 3. Fake Traeger model in profile . 4. Fake video of a Traeger model with the pellet box on the left (non pro). 5. Posting Traeger hate in an unrelated topic

There is absolutely nothing in wood pellets or even a grease fire that is explosive. And the Fans are intermittent with the D2 controller on purpose. And when thy die, they are $36 to replace and the D2 controller will tell you when it dies. I just did one this week on my Pro780

To the OP’s question, the big draw of power is on ignition, otherwise it takes minimal power to run. I could use my EcoFlo Solar generator to run mine portable.

Actually, the OP was in reference to the new Pit Boss battery powered pellet grill.

If you do a lot of tailgating or picnicking, a small battery grill might be suitable. If all you are looking for is powering a larger grill with battery power, get a uninterruptible power supply (UPS) or a power bank such as the Jackery. Using a USP is ideal if you are doing an overnight cook and you live in an area where power glitches are common. You do not want the grill to turn off at 2:00 am.

My Ironwood 885 says to start the grill with the lid closed. Presumably, this speeds up the startup time. However, I ALWAYS start mine with the lid open. If hot gasses build up in the chamber, you can get an explosion. Keeping the lid open until the firepot is burning well will minimize that possibility. It might take a few minutes longer for the grill to come up to temperature, but I can live with that (pun intended).

Latest Discussions

Back