Zero smoke coming from my Traeger

Smoke Daddy makes a smoke diffuser that fits Traeger pellet grills. Check it out. I'm gonna grab one

Attachments

• smoke daddy diffuser.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 639
New to the Traeger family! I bought a Silverton 810 recently and my first smoke was ok. The temperature swings were insane; sometimes as much as 20 degrees. My second time around is much better. The difference I believe was after I calibrated the pellet sensor. Only seeing swings of +\- 2-3 degrees. Anyone else have experience with this particular unit?

I use camp chef, and want to try rectek pellets.
11.99 20# for camp chef.
Good smoke and flavor.
I'm in Sacramento. Just across the river!!!

New to the Traeger family! I bought a Silverton 810 recently and my first smoke was ok. The temperature swings were insane; sometimes as much as 20 degrees. My second time around is much better. The difference I believe was after I calibrated the pellet sensor. Only seeing swings of +\- 2-3 degrees. Anyone else have experience with this particular unit?
The pellet sensor only monitors pellet level, it has nothing to do with the temperature. Temp can be affected by sun, wind, and opening the lid. It takes time for the controller to adjust for external factors and get back to set temp.

First cook on my Traeger had a lot of temp swings as well. After that, everything seemed to balance out. Temp Sensor Calibration is only to tell you how full your hopper is. Shouldn't have anything to do with operation. But who knows.

That is known as "for our highest profit, use our product". Any brand will work, some with better flavor.

I would just keep an eye on them if it's a brand you've never heard of or haven't tried before. I've used Cabela's pellets in the past and found rocks in them. Glad I found them before my auger did. Pellets burned about the same as Traeger brand. Their Competition Blend is a pretty good flavor.

I just received my Bear mountain pellets on a recommendation . I'm finding the flavor much more distinct with regards to smoke compared to the Traeger pellets. I also purchased the Smokn Pellets which are supposedly the preferred competition pellet used by most of the so called pros. I haven't tried them out yet tho. I will post when I do. So far big thumbs up for Bear Mountain on my end.

I tried these 100% Hickory "CookinPellets" from a post around here listing the top 5 brands;

These are the first non Traeger pellets I've ever tried. I'm halfway thru the 40lb bag and they are working very well, seem to have more smoke. I normally use Traeger "Signature Blend".

I did a 24hr slow cook brisket two days ago and smoke was always very visible. it was my best brisket to date!

Attachments

• IMG_8260.JPG
    IMG_8260.JPG
    235.8 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_8259.jpg
    IMG_8259.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_8232.JPG
    IMG_8232.JPG
    254 KB · Views: 134
Also, they are pushing the much more healthy " Blue Smoke " Claim that it is what really seasons the food. My first grill from QVC really pushed the white smoke on the smoke setting, and the only time I saw it was when it would call for more pellets, and they would smolder during the temp cook cycle. I am really disappointed in my new Pro 780 with no smoke setting, and very little smoke even in low temps.
Correction the other pellet brand is cookin pellets not smokin pellets

I use pellet tubes to cold smoke cheese and nuts (don't turn on my Traeger at all) using Traeger pellets, and there is a thick, sticky residue that collects on every surface. There is so much that it drips down the front and it acts like a glue when opening it. Cleaning it completely is impossible. Any ideas what the solution to avoiding this is? My Traeger no longer gives a smoke flavor to food (waiting to hear back from Traeger) so the tubes were a life saver.

I agree with BadgerFan. The lower the temperature the more smoke you will generate. I use 225 degrees as a limit for smoking, with most of my cooks at 180 to 200 degrees. That, plus I switched from Traeger pellets to Lumber Jack and the difference is noticable.

Last edited:
I use pellet tubes to cold smoke cheese and nuts (don't turn on my Traeger at all) using Traeger pellets, and there is a thick, sticky residue that collects on every surface. There is so much that it drips down the front and it acts like a glue when opening it. Cleaning it completely is impossible. Any ideas what the solution to avoiding this is? My Traeger no longer gives a smoke flavor to food (waiting to hear back from Traeger) so the tubes were a life saver.

Traeger's advertising says it uses "100% natural, food-grade hardwood" in pellets, with small amounts of food-grade soybean oil added as a lubricant for its machines in the pellets.

The pellets sold under the Traeger brand state “All Natural Hardwood” on the packaging.

Traeger brand pellets have been known to use a “additive” soybean oil in their pellets. You might consider a different brand... Knotty Wood, Bear Mountain, Lumber Jack don’t introduce “additives” such as Soy Bean oils to their products. I’d recommend switching brands esp the next time that you smoke cheese.

Back