Wrapping my Smoker in a wool blanket cold weather

EverettSmoke

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
I was thinking about buying some Emergency Wool Blankets to wrap or drape over my Smoker for cold weather use. Has anyone done this and or does anyone have any thoughts about it? Pro or con?
Thanks

Ive been considering this for my 780....
Screenshot_20201107-103604_Chrome.jpg

I would get a fire blanket. Not sure if emergency blankets are flame retardent.

I was looking for something more affordable. A Fire Blanket sound better.

I was looking for something more affordable. A Fire Blanket sound better.
Yep. Im in the same position. I got my 780 in June, so i havent had it through a winter. Im going to start with a fire blanket. Then maybe upgrade to a nice fitted one next year. But if it does well without it. Great!

I had a heavy wool blanket ready to purchase and then they were and still are sold out. What is your moving blanket made of? Is it Fire resistant?

Picked up a welders blanket from Harbor Freight- roughly $30 and used heavy duty magnets to keep it from blowing off. Blanket works great in cold weather

Attachments

• F618AFF4-E5B3-4579-8D03-807B73438021.jpeg
    F618AFF4-E5B3-4579-8D03-807B73438021.jpeg
    268.3 KB · Views: 242
Okay not much of a grilling expert, but is the idea to insulate the grill so it doesn't have to burn more pellets to keep the temperature up?

Okay not much of a grilling expert, but is the idea to insulate the grill so it doesn't have to burn more pellets to keep the temperature up?
yes! Make it somewhat more efficient on pellet consumption when ambient temps are low.
Picked up a welders blanket from Harbor Freight- roughly $30 and used heavy duty magnets to keep it from blowing off. Blanket works great in cold weather
This looks exactly like my Ironwood just yours has less smoke staining :p

yes! Make it somewhat more efficient on pellet consumption when ambient temps are low.

This looks exactly like my Ironwood just yours has less smoke staining :p
I need a welding blanket anyway as I've gotten into that lately and tired of dragging stuff outside to weld.

I bought a welding blanket 4' x 6' from Northern Tool. I wouldn't trust anything that was combustible, particularly if I was doing an overnight smoke. Welding blanket is good to 1000 degrees.

Got the same thing from Arnold Motor Supply, $30, good to 1000f. Gonna use it tonight gonna be 10f overnight.

Got the same thing from Arnold Motor Supply, $30, good to 1000f. Gonna use it tonight gonna be 10f overnight.
20210102_003237.jpg
its 13f outside.

Back