Winter Storage

IrishRover540

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 895
Just curious what everyone does in the colder months? I live in MI and we get some pretty cold temps. I plan to do some cooking throughout the winter, just curious what if anything needs to be done to protect the electronics and hopper in the cold weather? It will be covered and in the garage, just didn’t know what affect the cold would have on electrical components! Thanks!!

I would not like to freeze an LCD screen, but that's about all I'd be concerned about on these grills.

I would not like to freeze an LCD screen, but that's about all I'd be concerned about on these grills.

I got no place to go with mine but outside on my porch... these things were not made to be in cold????

Google low temperature limits for lcd displays, looks like around -4F is the lower limit. The liquid material is sandwiched between glass and becomes increasingly sluggish as temp drops. Too cold and they can be damaged.

I'll put a heating pad out there if it gets that low here in STL... that's easy

There’s a YouTuber named ‘Retired at 40’ that cooks on a Traeger. He did a chicken, but first had to wipe about 5” of snow off to get to the grill. You might look him up and ask him the same question. Not sure he is on this forum.

Haven't gone through a winter yet with mine. But it's in my garage when I don't use it.

I live in Canada and use mine year round. I have smoked a turkey in -20 degrees C which is approx -4 F. I have cooked a pizza at 500F. It just uses more pellets!

I will keep mine in the garage. Constant 55f or so all winter. I got it in June so i haven't owned it over the winter yet. I do plan on using it often this winter.

I use my 1300 on average 3 days a week, and i use it year round. I do empty the hooper after each cook and cover the cooker after it cools down a bit.

Timberline 1300 is double-walled. I never use an insulated blanket

I should have specified that I own a Pro 575. The double walled Timberlines wouldn’t have the same issues with maintaining temps and pellet burn.

Back