Wifire/Wifi Connectivity challenges

checkyourmirrors

Reaction score
Grill
Silver ton 620
I’ve got my Silverton 620 unit connected to my 2.4Ghz network with firmware 02.01.03 and the grill will offline and back online every so often. It’s not making things horrible but it is frustrating to say the least. My signal strength runs normally about -65db consistently. The router isn’t super far away and I’ve got no water based stuff blocking the signal. For most devices -65Db would be considered fairly decent for reliable connections (Web Browsing, etc) with roughly 3 bars (out of five) for quality. So I’m struggling with why this is happening and I’m going to put a repeater even closer but that isn’t going to solve this I am guessing given the signal seems pretty good and wondering if we’ve got a firmware, low power chip or antenna problem on the 620.

Any insights would be helpful....

Last edited:
I have a access point near mine and signal is -25db. Your setup is a bit weak, do face the grill towards your router, it may help some.

Only the Timberline's have external antennas, all others have the antenna behind the face of the controller.

Last edited:
I’ve got my Silverton 620 unit connected to my 2.4Ghz network with firmware 02.01.03 and the grill will offline and back online every so often. It’s not making things horrible but it is frustrating to say the least. My signal strength runs normally about -65db consistently. The router isn’t super far away and I’ve got no water based stuff blocking the signal. For most devices -65Db would be considered fairly decent for reliable connections (Web Browsing, etc) with roughly 3 bars (out of five) for quality. So I’m struggling with why this is happening and I’m going to put a repeater even closer but that isn’t going to solve this I am guessing given the signal seems pretty good and wondering if we’ve got a firmware, low power chip or antenna problem on the 620.

Any insights would be helpful....

Is the WiFIRE Controller itself going "offline" as shown on the controller display in the upper right hand corner (see "disconnected" state attached picture), or is the App reporting it "offline", yet the controller shows as connected (see "connected" state attached picture)?

If it is the former, than it definitely is a result of signal drop between the WiFIRE Controller and your Home Wi-Fi Network, you'll want to follow the suggestion above and read through the following for some other things to review: https://www.traegergrills.com/support/wifire-diagnosis-step-1

If it is the latter, than that can be a result of issues between your App Device and the Traeger Cloud back-end ... when it does drop offline and then back online, do you have to intervene, or does it "self-correct" after a period of time?

Attachments

• Traeger | WiFIRE "Connected" State.jpg
    Traeger | WiFIRE "Connected" State.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Traeger | WiFIRE "Disconnected" State.JPG
    Traeger | WiFIRE "Disconnected" State.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 24
The issue was with the Wifi signal and I was able to fix by getting a repeater near the unit with the Antenna towards the back. I will say for a grill at these price ranges either they are using an incredibly low powered chip or antenna with low gain. Seems problematic given these units are going to be in backyard yards which is always away from the Access point in the home.

Anyone had a look at the PCB on the non-antenna version, I assume the PCB will have antenna tracks ? I wonder if a bit of surreptitious soldering and a WiFi antenna extension cable could be molished up ? I've got a drawer full of variously terminated versions and bare wire versions. Not the best design choice to stick a Wifi Antenna into a fairly effective faraday cage ! ;-)

(I've currently got a Wifi Repeater between the router and the shack which works a treat).

wifi ext.jpg

Apparently PCB tracks just behind the plastic face of the controller. It's easy enough to pop out the controller, put it on your bench and take a peek to see what's possible for a mod.

Latest Discussions

Back