Wifire not working

Dannys

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline1300
I got my Timberline 1300 2 weeks ago and since that I could never use the Wifire feature. After expending $2,000 I realized that Traeger is selling defective, unproven products that only upset customers instead of make them happy. After many attempts of setting the Wifire, installing and un-instaling the app. I called numerous times the customer support finding no solutions and listening repetitively the same wifi setting instructions until the phone call dropped every time. I never imagined this nightmare after buying the most expensive grill in the market!
I feel cheated and upset with this situation and I know many customers are in the same spot.
Traeger is not a good and responsible company, they should have stopped selling this kind of Crap!! to prevent the current claims. But instead, they continue selling these flawed products.
WIFIRE TECHNOLOGY IS GARBAGE !!

What exactly is the issue besides "it doesn't work"?

Wifire does not get connected to my network.
Traeger Website login not working too. No grill registration possible.

How's the wifi signal where the grill is located? I know it needs to be very strong and no interference. I would try adjusting your transmit channel and security settings in your router. I know some members had to add the grill without using the barcode but I had no issues. Can you try using another mobile device to try to pair it? SOme also had luck putting in and out of demo mode which resets some things.

This is a common issue that gets discussed over in the numerous Traeger-related Facebook groups ... my feedback as of late: One thing to verify on your end is the need to use separate network names (SSIDs) for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wireless frequencies - depending on what WiFi Router/Access Point you use, as well as what mobile device you are using to run the app on, it may be a requirement ... when the network names are the same, and if your mobile device supports 5GHz, the mobile device will by default attach to the 5GHz frequency, while the Grill is connected on the 2.4GHz frequency, resulting in no connection between the App and the Grill ... giving one of the wireless network frequencies a different name allows you to "force" the mobile device to attach to the 2.4GHz network and successfully connect ... I call my IOT Wireless Networks idIOT & idIOT 5GHz to support this specific scenario

I had a similiar problem. I was connected to my 2.4GHz band but still the same issues. Here is what I found. The WiFire app and correspinding controller in the grill apparently do not like the fact that SSID's (diff name btw) were broadcast over the same network. I have MyHome and MyHome-5G ID's broadcast. This is the same network but one operates at 2.4GHz and one at 5Ghz. While they do have separate SSID's it's essentiall the same network. I created a 2.4Ghz network only (used the Guest and renamed it) with a brand new SSID and separate password just for my grill. This worked instantly. The controller connected, downloaded updates and I can now see my grill and control it via the WiFire app. Traeger should really make this clear in their documentation and instructions. Honeslty, they should update their code so that it doesn't matter. Maybe that will come at a later time. Hope this is helpful.

I am also having conecction issues with my Ironwood 650. It finds my WiFi network but says the signal is too weak. I tried a WiFi extender plugged in 20 ft from the grill but same issue. I live in the city so there are lots of WiFi networks around me could this be the issue?

I am also having conecction issues with my Ironwood 650. It finds my WiFi network but says the signal is too weak. I tried a WiFi extender plugged in 20 ft from the grill but same issue. I live in the city so there are lots of WiFi networks around me could this be the issue?
Traeger uses a 2.4GHZ (RF frequency) which is very congested in high density areas. (TVs and streaming media boxes use 2.4 and 5 GHZ for this reason. Bluetooth is in 2.4 GHz). When this happens the devices need to be closer to effectively communicate. It’s analogous to being in a large stadium of people where you have to yell to people standing near you. If the extender is within 20 ft it should be more than sufficient. Make sure the configuration is such that the extender is truly repeating the same SSID (network name) - I”m concerned your grill is still connecting to the main AP (access point).

If your AP is old, consider replacing it as the transmit power tends to roll off around 4-6 years (I’m have a Wi-Fi engineering background). ALso consider a mesh router. I messed around with a repeater for a few months and it wasn’t stable or reliable. Switched to Google Mesh routers and haven’t had an issue since.

Traeger uses a 2.4GHZ (RF frequency) which is very congested in high density areas. (TVs and streaming media boxes use 2.4 and 5 GHZ for this reason. Bluetooth is in 2.4 GHz). When this happens the devices need to be closer to effectively communicate. It’s analogous to being in a large stadium of people where you have to yell to people standing near you. If the extender is within 20 ft it should be more than sufficient. Make sure the configuration is such that the extender is truly repeating the same SSID (network name) - I”m concerned your grill is still connecting to the main AP (access point).

If your AP is old, consider replacing it as the transmit power tends to roll off around 4-6 years (I’m have a Wi-Fi engineering background). ALso consider a mesh router. I messed around with a repeater for a few months and it wasn’t stable or reliable. Switched to Google Mesh routers and haven’t had an issue since.

Alright I renamed the 2.4 frequency reset everything and got the grill to connect wi the repeater but still says poor signal (-74dBm). Currently running a Motorola MG7540 and a Rock Space repeater. Looking into mesh routers now.Do you think it’s ok to save some $$$ and get a factory refurbished set?

I got my Timberline 1300 2 weeks ago and since that I could never use the Wifire feature. After expending $2,000 I realized that Traeger is selling defective, unproven products that only upset customers instead of make them happy. After many attempts of setting the Wifire, installing and un-instaling the app. I called numerous times the customer support finding no solutions and listening repetitively the same wifi setting instructions until the phone call dropped every time. I never imagined this nightmare after buying the most expensive grill in the market!
I feel cheated and upset with this situation and I know many customers are in the same spot.
Traeger is not a good and responsible company, they should have stopped selling this kind of Crap!! to prevent the current claims. But instead, they continue selling these flawed products.
Dannys,

I purchased my 1300 last November and have had a number of issues, not the least of which is WiFire problems.

I have to say, I've gotten those issues solved. I still have one issue pending unrelated to WiFire, but the part needed is on back order. I think this pandemic has thrown off the Traeger support capability, because it's degraded in the last several months. I got this recommendation from a member of this forum, and got through using their phone message to call me back earlier this week. Try calling the support line, (800) 872-3437, as soon as they open which is (per Traeger website) at 10:00am, Mountain daylight. The support hours used to start at 9:00am, so I might take a shot at getting through then.

Traeger is struggling with their Customer Support. Like you, my attitude is when you pay a premium price, you deserve a premium product and support. As I've said, at this point I'm not in love with my 1300, but I am in love with the concept of the Timberline 1300. For the first several months I owned my Traeger, it worked flawlessly. I need to get back to that point, -quickly.

I wish you the best, stay safe.

Danny
I can honestly say that I have experienced your pain, Traeger support was anything but supportive.
In the end, and it took 9 months, I made the issue of the retailer that I bought it from. Our local Ace Hardware replaced it once I found a source to get a hold of the stores owner.
Ironically, the replacement hooked up to my wifi and has worked flawlessly ever since.
Good luck,

Dannys - willing to assist if you want to give me a PM on Facebook (David Dunaway) - I am active in quite a few of the Traeger-related FB Groups ...

For over a year I had the same issues with the wifire. 2 days ago I turned the grill on and checked the wifi settings. The grill updated the firmware and I can now connect with the app. Since purchasing the grill there have been 2 controlers and 2 rtd's installed . Traeger needs to get their act together!

Back